• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Island Transit

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Emailed them, got a nice and vague response. Wrote back and really pushed the issue of legal OC this time. See what I get back.

My email to them:

[size=Hi,
Can you please tell me the laws regarding the lawful transport of firearms and ammunition on transit property and vehicles?

I just read RCW 9.91.025 which seems pretty plain in that it allows for the transport of firearms and ammunition in a fashion that is not otherwise prohibited by law.

I understand this to mean that I can transport an unloaded cased rifle or shotgun, or a lawfully carried loaded handgun, either visible or concealed in compliance with state law.

Please let me know.]
[/size]

Their response...

Good afternoon Steve,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back with you. It’s been a couple of out-of-the-ordinary crazy weeks. Yes, you are allowed to carry weapons on buses.

As you know, RCW 9.41.270 states, ‘Carrying, exhibiting, displaying, or drawing any dagger, sword, knife, or other cutting stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests as an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.’

As you know, helping to protect the public is a part of our job as public servants. People have certain perceptions about potentially dangerous or threatening situations that we have to weigh carefully in terms of our customers safety and sense of comfort and well-being while on our properties. We also have to weigh and consider people’s rights as established by law. These can be difficult issues to grapple with at times, because there really aren’t any clear-cut avenues, so to say, to take. We simply have to do the very best we can in making judgment calls and taking certain actions in the name of protecting the wellbeing of our customers on our vehicles and properties. It is our bus operators that have to make those kinds of judgment calls in the name of protecting our customers.

I appreciate your e-mail. If you have additional thoughts regarding this subject, I would really appreciate hearing those thoughts. I would look forward to hearing from you again.

Hey, enjoy this lovely day!!!!!!

Martha M. Rose
Executive Director, Island Transit
PO Box 1735, Coupeville WA 98239
(360) 678-7771 / (800) 240-8747

Agent 47

imported post

I would forward a training bulletin or two at her and point out that CW 9.41.270 has absolutely nothing to do with legal open carry.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
I would forward a training bulletin or two at her and point out that CW 9.41.270 has absolutely nothing to do with legal open carry.
I wrote to her again explaining the situation in depth and did offer to give her some information. See what she says.

jbone

imported post

In here response I read between the lines and itread yes you have the right, but, "F" your right to carry, I'm an Anti!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Funny this is the same woman who ten years ago told me I had no right to carry on the bus and supported her drivers kicking me off for a cased and unloaded longarm, and I cited the same RCW 9.91.025 then.

I'll keep on it.

deanf

imported post

Sounds like she would be a perfect Obama-nominated Supreme Court Justice: she prefers to substitute people's feelings and place-in-life for law that she is clearly familiar with.

samaloney2006

imported post

sv_libertarian,

:)I got an E-mail from Island Transit yesterday. I will post it in awhile. I am studying it. I am not sure but I think I we won. You andI are trying to accomplish thesame thing.I do not know if it is better to try together or go with two different people. The executive director does state "that people do indeed have a right to carry firearms on transit property".

samaloney2006

imported post

sv_libertarian,

:)I got an E-mail from Island Transit yesterday. I will post it in awhile. I am studying it. I am not sure but I think I we won. You andI are trying to accomplish thesame thing.I do not know if it is better to try together or go with two different people. The executive director does state "that people do indeed have a right to carry firearms on transit property".

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

samaloney2006 wrote:
sv_libertarian,

Yes now the trick is to get them to realize that OC is part of that. She is very carefully dodging that issue and that is unacceptable. If you have to study something and think you got the desired result, then they are using doublespeak and dancing around an issue. You have to keep on 'em until you get plain language clearly stating things.