Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Interesting: Conversation Between Cops :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    http://forums.officer.com/forums/arc...hp/t-6229.html


    and another (older) archive from a different LEO forum... hey, if they're going to spy on our little discussions, lets check theirs out at least

    on a less sarcastic note; these are actually kind of interesting to read if you have the time.


    Here's what one LEO said in this thread that blows my mind:

    "I don't think there is any valid reason for a civilian to carry a concealed weapon. It should be an offence to do so, punishable by serious jail time. As a Police officer I don't like the idea of any offenders, I have the misfortune to deal with, to be carrying a firearm. Guns are out of control in the US. Allowing the general public to be "tooled up" is one retrograde step."

    I'm happy to see his/hers is not the prevalent opinion at least in this particular thread/discussion.


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    How about this comment from one individual in the first thread...



    "Just so that yoiu can alll be clear on this, the Second Amendment doesn't give you the right to bare arms to defend yourself againist other American Citizens. It gives you the right to bares arms in the event that our goverment ever does become a tyrant goverment or body. That isn't saying that i believe you shouldn't be able to defend yourself againist others if your life is in danger, because you should be able to. I'm merely saying that the Second Amendment doesn't apply to situations regarding self-defense againist a forst that is hostile to yourself or you properties."

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    stephgrinage23 wrote:
    Here's what one LEO said in this thread that blows my mind:
    He should move to Europe.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    I've been watching and reading a couple cop forums for the last couple years. I've noticed in the past year or so that their attitude toward the citizenry in general, and gun carriers (more OC than CC, but both) specifically, has become increasingly hostile.

    Things are getting bad folks.The police don't even realized how much they've been turned on the citizenry.

    Some of them are noticing it, but it's the "new breed".

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    ghostrider wrote:
    Things are getting bad folks.The police don't even realized how much they've been turned on the citizenry.

    Some of them are noticing it, but it's the "new breed".
    It is a pretty big responsibility we have, to curb that attitude among police. Especially in this state since we're so active, and that police attitude seems to be so prevalent in certain areas and certain departments.

    I really wish there was a good, easy way to improve relations with police officers. The problem is that many simply don't like us. The reasons for this are as plentiful as they are debatable. But the fact remains that none of us want to be arrested, none of us want to be hassled, none of us want to have to sue some ******* cop who puts our life in danger by drawing down on us. We just want to get along!

    It's something I think about almost daily, especially when I'm carrying my multiple recording devices, just how badly we need to improve relations with police. But it's a difficult thing to go about doing. Ideas come to mind, like maybe we should arrange meetings with law enforcement officials and explain our points of view, and why we want to get along with police. But if this is done improperly, we could come across as soft idiots who can easily be hassled.

    Its a tough thing to go about doing properly, especially all across the state, but there MUST be a better way than having to expect bad police encounters. :?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    Unless your in the military your still a civilian correct? Whats the deal with some of those officers saying their not civilians?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    adam40cal wrote:
    Unless your in the military your still a civilian correct? Whats the deal with some of those officers saying their not civilians?
    Yep, correct.

    Some cops forget their place in society and develop the "us against them" mentality.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Is it just me or is there a connection between the dress of officers and their attitude? What I see is the militarization oftheirappearance. The uniform with tie has been replaced in some departments, with military togs, wannabe stormtroopers if you will.springerdave.

  10. #10
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    springerdave wrote:
    Is it just me or is there a connection between the dress of officers and their attitude? What I see is the militarization oftheirappearance. The uniform with tie has been replaced in some departments, with military togs, wannabe stormtroopers if you will.springerdave.
    It's not you. They are definitely more militarized than in previous years. But one could argue though that policeuniforms have always copied the military. The MSP dress uniforms are from the 1940's (and older) military officer's uniform. DI hats, shoulder strap gun belts, jacket cut, many departments dress in this way.

    But the every day uniform is becoming more battle dress types, and that is a change.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Well maybe i should get my sealed locker out and put un my bdu's from the desert storm days and gear up, maybe pull out my chem gear.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southwest, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    adam40cal wrote:
    Unless your in the military your still a civilian correct? Whats the deal with some of those officers saying their not civilians?
    +1

    This is our 'new breed' of officer.

    We are all covered under the same firearms laws, just different sections.

    So I now dub us "THE SECTONS" because there is no 'I' in team! Rah! Rah!

    Carry on.

  13. #13
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    mastiff69 wrote:
    Well maybe i should get my sealed locker out and put un my bdu's from the desert storm days and gear up, maybe pull out my chem gear.
    After your wife lets them out a bit!
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    This is a sore spot with me... the militarization of the civilian police. I understand the need for certain specialized units (i.e. SWAT)... but it seems, more and more lately, that even your local ticket-writers are geared up in battle dress.

    It pisses me off that we have police departments in this country that are better funded than some National Guard units. WTF do local police need with tanks and grenade launchers? State police SWAT units, sure... but not local PD's. I don't care how big your city is. Leave that up to the State... not the cities. Some of these big-city PD's are tactically superior to their local NG. That's way too much power in the hands of some of these ******* city council members. Take Detroit, for instance. The power those clowns have frightens me. Detroit has enough firepower to take over every one of their neighboring cities. Compound this with the fact that Congress allows the sending of NG troops OVERSEAS to fight in undeclared wars, and that leaves the States squarely in the hands of the POLICE to provide security. Police should not be used as a fourth-string military (behind regular Army, Reserve, and National Guard). States are to be sovereign... individual or collective cities are not to be superior to the resources of the State.

    The image transformation of police across the nation, in my opinion, is merely the personification of the overall disposition. They don't consider themselves civilians anymore. Last I checked, the military already has MP's. Give it time... the days of standard issue patrol CARS may eventually give way to patrol HUMMERS. But I guess when you spread your active, reserve, and NG military resources so thin. by ending them all across the globe as mercenaries, then politicians begin to press civilian police into homeland military service. What further irritates me is that civilians are not privvy to equip themselves similarly as the local PD's. For instance, owning a bullet resistant vest is illegal? WTF? Why? The way I see it, if local PD's are dressed for war, then citizens might have something to worry about and might want to adopt similar measures "just in case".

    I say no more than this.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Veritas wrote:
    For instance, owning a bullet resistant vest is illegal?* WTF?* Why?
    Not entirely true. They're only illegal to own if you're a felon.

    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227g

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Veritas wrote:
    For instance, owning a bullet resistant vest is illegal? WTF? Why?
    Not entirely true. They're only illegal to own if you're a felon.

    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227g
    In the real world, it's illegal. I haven't met a police chief yet that would issue written permission for Joe Sixpack to purchase body armor... nor have I met a retailer that will sell it to anyone who is not LEO or military. The fact that we need illusive permission to buy it means it's out of our hands.

    It's not like I plan to cruise around town with an M14 in hand, wearing body armor, and covered in a ghillie suit... but it would be comforting to be able to add the option of protective armor to my home defense quiver. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...

    I believe citizens should be empowered to organize their militias in a paramilitary manner... complete with all the tools of the trade that our government possess; including body armor. Of course, where there's a will there's a way. There are ways to get your hands on things if you really want them... and there's also methods for homemade devices. But none of which are as easy as just going out and buying standard issue stuff legally.

  17. #17
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Veritas wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Veritas wrote:
    For instance, owning a bullet resistant vest is illegal? WTF? Why?
    Not entirely true. They're only illegal to own if you're a felon.

    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227g
    In the real world, it's illegal. I haven't met a police chief yet that would issue written permission for Joe Sixpack to purchase body armor... nor have I met a retailer that will sell it to anyone who is not LEO or military. The fact that we need illusive permission to buy it means it's out of our hands.

    It's not like I plan to cruise around town with an M14 in hand, wearing body armor, and covered in a ghillie suit... but it would be comforting to be able to add the option of protective armor to my home defense quiver. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...

    I believe citizens should be empowered to organize their militias in a paramilitary manner... complete with all the tools of the trade that our government possess; including body armor. Of course, where there's a will there's a way. There are ways to get your hands on things if you really want them... and there's also methods for homemade devices. But none of which are as easy as just going out and buying standard issue stuff legally.
    You can buy body armor on line. Body armor is defiantly legal in Michigan except by felons. There are additional penalties/charges for using one during a crime.

    I believe the statute that Zig posted is for a person that was convicted of a felony and now needs to have body armor for a job, etc. It doesn't have to do with non-felons buying armor.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    You can buy body armor on line.* Body armor is defiantly legal in Michigan except by felons.* There are additional penalties/charges for using one during a crime.

    I believe the statute that Zig posted is for a person that was convicted of a felony and now needs to have body armor for a job, etc.* It doesn't have to do with non-felons buying armor.
    You're correct. The statute I quoted states that FELONS cannot possess without written permission from the police chief.

    The average citizen without a record can go ahead and wear their 30-pound flak jacket all they want.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    The average citizen without a record can go ahead and wear their 30-pound flak jacket all they want.
    Without a felony? Or misdemeanor? Or both?

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    The average citizen without a record can go ahead and wear their 30-pound flak jacket all they want.
    Without a felony? Or misdemeanor? Or both?
    Read the law I posted above.

    "1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who has been convicted of a violent felony shall not purchase, own, possess, or use body armor..."

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    I had to stop reading on officer.com.

    So many people there are so ignorant of the law, so adamantly ignorant of the constitution that it makes me sick.

    Two words:

    Continuing Education.

    I'm writing my legislators about this tomorrow.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    I don't like to read...

  23. #23
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Yeah there are way too many TOOLS on there to suite me
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    You can buy body armor on line. Body armor is defiantly legal in Michigan except by felons. There are additional penalties/charges for using one during a crime.

    I believe the statute that Zig posted is for a person that was convicted of a felony and now needs to have body armor for a job, etc. It doesn't have to do with non-felons buying armor.
    Linkage? Every online retailer I've visited requires proof of LEO or military status before they'll accept your order.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    Nevermind... I think I found an online retailer that sells stuff to civilians. However, they have a list of "permissible uses" that they will sell for. I suppose it's not a stretch for the average person to fit themselves into this list somehow. But still... the idea of having to explain my purpose for buying body armor irks me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •