View Poll Results: Do you think a National Open Carry Day is a good idea?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 92.31%
  • No

0 0%
  • Undecided

2 7.69%

Thread: National Open Carry day?

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I was just on another forum and someone there made mention that we all Open Carry our weapons (where legal) on July 2nd through the 8th. This falls on the Independence day week, and would be a good way to celebrate our freedom and what it stands for.

I for one will sure be doing this, but it would be good to make it a national thing as well. The media would love this I'm sure!

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You mean to tell me you don't already OC EVERY day?
    Currently? Yes I do, I have gone to the local Hobby Lobby and am getting ready to go to walmart OC style. Already have the holster and 2 mags in pouch any time I go in a store, just no weapon yet.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    You mean to tell me you don't already OC EVERY day?
    +1
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I dont OC every day. Unfortunately WI has somearchaiclaws regarding schools and not allowed tocarry within 1000 feet of a school zone. Never noticed it before but there are a LOT of schools around here. Makes it nearly impossible to simply walk down a street without risk of violating this law. This is a class 1 felony here. In fact I cant even walk down the street in front of my own home because of this. I OC when I can, but I dont have the patience to study the map before each outing. I applaud those that take the time to OC often, and am hopeful that WI will become more progressive with OC and CC.

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

I am tempted to OC here in Texas, considering that carrying arms is a Constitutionally protected right. I could tell the officer that it is National Open Carry day, and that I have a right to be armed, which includes owning and carrying arm(s).

bigdaddy1:
    Unfortunately WI has some archaic laws regarding schools and not allowed to carry within 1000 feet of a school zone.
    Plenty of useless laws remain on the books: http://www.dumblaws.com/

Aparently in some state you can't fish while on horseback.

The ban on OC in Texas, from what I recall, originated from the Reconstruction Era and was meant to prevent any further uprisings. I don't think any Texans are gonna restart the Civl War.

Activist Member

Post imported post

In Texas isn't it legal to open carry long arms and blackpowder pistols?

Post imported post

Wolf81504 wrote:
    ...it would be good to make it a national thing as well. The media would love this I'm sure!
    Great idea. It's come up before several times.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough organizational oomph to make it happen.

The media, I agree, would love it.

I can just see a big national media reported event with interviews of OCers, LE, antis....all across the land.... pictures in Time/Newsweek...video from marches all over....It would be great.

It could be like the recently announced Valley Station OC churce service:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS01/906040362

...only times 10,000!

Curiously, some of those most ardent of OCers pop up in the occasional "National Open Carry Day?" threads to say that it's not needed (since OC should be done every day, y'understand). It's really odd, that. I can never figure out why they do that.

Post imported post

I'd nominate June 26, the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's handing down of the Heller decision.

And to those who askwhy have a special day when we should becarrying everyday, I suggest that this day be touted as a day for our many OC only or OC most-of-the-time antagonists to join with us in solidarity for a political statement of support for gun rights for all. It would be a day when those gun owners who may be uncomfortable with open carry can feel like they have "permission" to do so with a free conscience.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

One day pops into mind. What better day than July 4th?
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002