• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visitor Carry ??

frjeff

imported post

If I visit Michigan, am a US citizen, am CHL in Texas, I know I can conceal carry in Michigan (reciprocity).

My question:

May I also open carry?

Fr Jeff+

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

frjeff wrote:
If I visit Michigan, am a US citizen, am CHL in Texas, I know I can conceal carry in Michigan (reciprocity).

My question:

May I also open carry?

Fr Jeff+

Short answer: Probably.

Long answer: MI Law states that you must follow the laws of this state when carrying, and that we honor the Texas resident CHL.

The Michigan law also states that you must also be in compliance with all restrictions listed on your CHL. So if your CHL says that open carry is not permitted with the license, you cannot open carry here. (Similarly, if it states that you cannot carry into, say, a grocery store on Tuesdays, you can't do that either, regardless of whether that's legal for a MI resident with their CPL).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
frjeff wrote:

My question:

May I also open carry?

Fr Jeff+

Short answer: Probably.

Long answer: MI Law states that you must follow the laws of this state when carrying, and that we honor the Texas resident CHL.

The Michigan law also states that you must also be in compliance with all restrictions listed on your CHL. So if your CHL says that open carry is not permitted with the license, you cannot open carry here. (Similarly, if it states that you cannot carry into, say, a grocery store on Tuesdays, you can't do that either, regardless of whether that's legal for a MI resident with their CPL).
I think zigziggityzoois attempting some leg pulling with that last paragraph. We normally have to comply with the laws of the state we are visiting, regardless of what our home state laws are.