• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PARA ORDNANCE P14 THE BEST HI CAP 1911

sandbandit0331

imported post

I have a Para Ordnance P-14 45 LDA and ita absolutely one of the best mistakes i have ever made this 45 is more accurate that my Kimber and faster as well if you haven't tried one then I would suggest you do. Once you fire it you will be converted.:cuss:

RebelHell

imported post

I rented one at the range once. I found it to be a bit large for my hands (and I have fairly large hands). I was also not thrilled with the LDA trigger. Would be much happier with SA.

Hellbilly

imported post

I owned a steel frame P14-45 back in the mid 90s. I thought it too heavy for carry , alloy frame would have been a better choice for a daily carry gun. PO was having magazine problems around that time and it was a crap shoot as to getting good mags or a mag that would not feed the last few rounds so I swapped it off against a Benelli Super 90 M1 shotgun.

I just put a Brown beavertail and Novak sights on a P13-45 that belongs to a friend and I was surprised after shooting it. Not a bad carry gun at all.

I have never fired the LDA trigger systems so I know nothing of it.

AZkopper

imported post

I carried an LDA 14-45 as a duty weapon and off-duty weapon for several years. I found it accurate, reliable and really fun.

I also thought it suffered from the same 1911 problems of being a b*tch to disassemble and reassemble.

I gifted it to my pastor as a wedding payment. I still sometimes miss it, along with my old S&W 4506.

Michigander

imported post

I think I've about had my fill of 1911's. Just a personal thing, I don't like them for a number of reasons. I don't miss the single stack one I had.

But I would like it if they made a double stack P220. ;)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've been wanting the single action version of that gun for a while. I haven't ever fired the LDA. Is the LDA DAO or DA/SA? I'm not a fan of Double Action Only weapons but don't mind DA/SA. I prefer a S/A above all of them.

Dustin

imported post

RebelHell wrote:
I rented one at the range once. I found it to be a bit large for my hands (and I have fairly large hands). I was also not thrilled with the LDA trigger. Would be much happier with SA.

Yep and Yep.

I'd take an SA 1911 over the P14 anyday. I don't care for the double stack in a 1911.

Gordie

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
I've been wanting the single action version of that gun for a while. I haven't ever fired the LDA. Is the LDA DAO or DA/SA? I'm not a fan of Double Action Only weapons but don't mind DA/SA. I prefer a S/A above all of them.
The LDA is double action only, but it has a very light trigger pull. I prefer SA myself, but still have no problem with the LDA. It is almost like SA except for the length of pull of the trigger. It is unlike any other DA trigger that I have ever fired. I can switch back and forth between them with no trouble.

ColtPistols

imported post

I have a SA version that I bought used in the late 90's. Love that gun. Perfect for me for ccw or open carry. I'm small (5'9", 140lbs) andI wouldn't wantto carry mysmaller pistols over that one. I had the frame black Teflon coated and it is beautiful. I brought a newbie with me to the range a few months ago and he fired about 20 of mine and a friends handguns. He settled on the P-14 SA. Best trigger of any gun is always a 1911 type and his gorrilla hands (he's 6'4") don't feel right on anything else. He even asked if they made one with slightly wider and longer grips since his little finger hangs down the end a little bit! I said A desert Eagle probably wouldn't be long enough either! I recommended he just order one and replace the grips with those bulky houge rubber wraparounds with the finger grooves. Nice texture and with his gorilla hands he'll probably appreciate the extra bulk. He order one a couple months ago, and they are so backordered it still hasn't come in yet. Guess every manufacture is having a hard time coming out with weapons fast enough to meet the demand since the new election. I still think a double stack 1911 is the best way to go. I want another, maybe a Springfield or Caspian double stack with a long slide nextI love that pistol so much.

Gordie

imported post

Have you checked out the "Super Hawg" by Para? It can be had in a double stack, single action, and 6" barrel and slide.

ColtPistols

imported post

Saw pictures of the Super Hawg long slide p14. looks good. I think I might want to do some work on that or a simliar type pistol. My goal is to get a longer pistol than even a 6" barrel. I need the extra sight radius too so just a longer barrel protruding from the end of the slide won't help me. I wanted something simliar to and AMT upper. I was thinking of trying to find if there are full profile compensators with the front sight added after the ports. That way my sight radius would be at least two inches longer than a standard government and the profile would still be full. Never had a comped gun. don't know how they attach or work or anything. i'm not really wild about compensators either, but I don't know how else to get a 1911 that long without going with a Grizzly arms, or spending 10s of thousands on a custom built prototype slide.

squisher

imported post

Been eyeing the single action version of the Para double-stack 1911 for a while now...

Glad to hear they're as nice as the price tag says they ought to be.

(and just for my info, isn't para the ONLY hi-cap 1911 on the market right now?)

Super Hawg 6" barrel? Sounds like a SWEET target gun.

ColtPistols

imported post

No, there are several others. Or are you refering to the only hi-cap with a long slide?

SVI and STI will have several calibers and configurations and I believe they offer them in long slides as well, although they are all polymer frames which I don't care for. Kimber used to have at least one reasonably priced but still polymer framed hi-cap 1911.

Springfield makes a much lower priced GI hi-cap 1911. No real bells and whistled though but i think it would make a decent starting point for a project pistol. I think there custom center also builds several hi-caps. There was a company named Entreprise, that made both long and 5" hi-caps. Para I would guess since they pioneered the hi-cap 1911 is the most popular, but not necessarily the best quality. Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But I think the hi end STI polymers are much better (and much more expensive) as well as the custom built Springfields. Only thing is I really don't want any more plastic pistols. My ugly Glock is enough plastic for the pistol display cabinet. I think for a project gun buying a frame from a company like Caspian would be my best pick for a steel framed hi-cap 1911. Just that it costs a whole lot more money to build a 1911 from the ground up than to buy a production pistol like Para's Super Hawg long slide in a hi-cap.

squisher

imported post

I'd just never heard of any other hi-cap 1911s (in .45 anyway...)

The extra wide grip on the double-stack .45 seems to fit my hand nicely, and it's really not much (any?) wider than my 92's grip. A bit longer perhaps but I have big hands, so not necessarily a bad thing. I still want to shoot one (especially more than one style of 1911) before I drop any coin.

Since I'd probably want to carry it, I'd probably stick with a 5" barrel, but the long-slide guy seems like it would make a nice production class competition gun (actual shooting experience may disprove that, but an extra inch on the barrel surely can't hurt accuracy).

Still, it sure looks nice.

ColtPistols wrote:
No, there are several others. Or are you refering to the only hi-cap with a long slide?

SVI and STI will have several calibers and configurations and I believe they offer them in long slides as well, although they are all polymer frames which I don't care for. Kimber used to have at least one reasonably priced but still polymer framed hi-cap 1911.

Springfield makes a much lower priced GI hi-cap 1911. No real bells and whistled though but i think it would make a decent starting point for a project pistol. I think there custom center also builds several hi-caps. There was a company named Entreprise, that made both long and 5" hi-caps. Para I would guess since they pioneered the hi-cap 1911 is the most popular, but not necessarily the best quality. Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But I think the hi end STI polymers are much better (and much more expensive) as well as the custom built Springfields. Only thing is I really don't want any more plastic pistols. My ugly Glock is enough plastic for the pistol display cabinet. I think for a project gun buying a frame from a company like Caspian would be my best pick for a steel framed hi-cap 1911. Just that it costs a whole lot more money to build a 1911 from the ground up than to buy a production pistol like Para's Super Hawg long slide in a hi-cap.

sandbandit0331

imported post

What i'm trying to tell you about this 1911 variant is that it is hands down the most reliable and fast shooting pistol I own I have used it in USPFA ,ISPCand IDPA matches and without so much as a hiccup! Yeah there are other Hi-Cap 1911's out there but not at this price and not this fast at shooting accurately. For those who don't like LDA systems then rest assured because you can carry this weapon cocked and locked.

sandbandit0331

imported post

Just for the doubters out there go out and take this pistol for an "unbiased" spin!! Then base your decisions on experience. Heck take 100 heck take 1,000 rounds and try to make it stop! :shock: