Thread: Reporter needs to talk to Kitsap OC picnic organizer ASAP today in next couple of hours

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Folks: if you organized or can find an organizer of that Kitsap picnic, get them to call Liz Jones ASAP - looks like she has a 3PM story deadline today, Pacific coast time.

Consider some talking points - looks like most localities in WA know they are preempted and either have repealed the illegal gun bans or have told the police not to enforce themn.

And then there was one (Mayor Nickels of Seattle still spinning his wheels trying to gin up illegal gun bans).

-----

In a message dated 6/1/2009 4:15:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ljones@kuow.org writes:

Hello,

I’m working on a story about the OpenCarrry demonstration/gathering yesterday in Kitsap County, WA. I’d like to talk with one of your members who attended about the event and efforts to get the law changed. Please let me know if can put me in touch with someone.

Some possible members: Samuel Cadle, James Milner or Bill Starks.

Could you please ask one of them or another WA member to call me at the number below before 3 p.m. today? Or send me their contact info?

Thank you,

Liz Jones

KUOW 94.9 Public Radio

NPR News and Information

Post imported post

I dunno why they're so hung up on this "law." They want to know how we're going to "get the law changed," and how the picnic-goers (I wasn't there) were "breaking the law and getting away with it" and that they were "protesting a law."

Way to miss the point.

Anyway, the article was still well-balanced and someone should definitely follow up. This is great publicity.

Post imported post

I attempted to contact her at the number provided but received a general switchboard asking for an extension. I will try again and give her info as best I can, since I do not know the direct contact info for Sempercarry or some of the others.

Post imported post

sempercarry is in the process of calling. I notified him.

Post imported post

swatspyder wrote:
    sempercarry is in the process of calling. I notified him.
    Rodger that,I left a message for her just in case.

Post imported post

I also called and left her a message, I will also email her... (I am Sam)

Post imported post

sempercarry did the interview. everyone listen in to see if it is played...

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    I dunno why they're so hung up on this "law."* They want to know how we're going to "get the law changed," and how the picnic-goers (I wasn't there) were "breaking the law and getting away with it" and that they were "protesting a law."

Way to miss the point.

Anyway, the article was still well-balanced and someone should definitely follow up.* This is great publicity.
    breaking the law and getting away with it was referring to the county breaking the law and getting away with it...it was a bad headline, and the writer of the story even stated that...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I personally liked the headline. But maybe that's just the rebel in me. I was working all week or I would have been there breaking the local pre-empted law also.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17672

(audio link: http://www.kuow.org/mp3high/mp3/News/20090602_lj_kitsapguns.mp3)

Dueling Gun Laws 06/02/2009
    Gun advocates have turned up the heat on Kitsap County. They're challenging a county law that prohibits guns in public parks.

Dozens of gun–toting picnickers gathered in a Silverdale park this weekend, openly wearing their firearms. That's illegal, under a county ordinance. But state law allows gun owners to openly carry firearms in most public places.
    Tacoma resident Jonathan Harris helped organized Sunday's picnic. He wants the county to remove its gun ban signs from local parks.

Harris: "We feel it's a bullying move by Kitsap County. That the people who are less educated about the laws will see the signs and think it's illegal, when in fact it is not. So having the signs there is kind of the county bullying educating less educated people into not exercising their rights."
    Harris says he openly carries a gun because it's more comfortable, and it can also help deter crime.

Although Harris and others at the picnic openly flouted the county law, local sheriff's deputies made no arrests.
    Wilson: "Because we realize it butts heads. It butts up against state law. There's a conflict between the two and state law basically trumps county ordinance."
    That's Scott Wilson. He's a spokesman for the Kitsap County Sheriff's Department. He can't remember any case when the county's gun law has been used. And he admits the county's law is not enforceable.
    Wilson: "So we realize this situation – we have received guidance from the Prosecutor's Office on this in the past. It is a law that probably does need to be amended on the books."

Kitsap County Commissioner Charlotte Garrido agrees. She plans to put this issue on the commissioners' agenda soon. That's the first step toward a possible change in the county law.

Meanwhile, Harris and other "open carry" advocates plan to keep up the pressure on Kitsap County. They say that's worked in other areas. Bremerton recently overturned its gun restrictions in city parks. And University Place, near Tacoma, removed the gun ban signs from its parks.

Liz Jones, KUOW News.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Wow! Great event, great results!

It sounds like everyone's on the same page and moving in the same direction. Somebody pinch me.