• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reporter needs to talk to Kitsap OC picnic organizer ASAP today in next couple of hours

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks: if you organized or can find an organizer of that Kitsap picnic, get them to call Liz Jones ASAP - looks like she has a 3PM story deadline today, Pacific coast time.

Consider some talking points - looks like most localities in WA know they are preempted and either have repealed the illegal gun bans or have told the police not to enforce themn.

And then there was one (Mayor Nickels of Seattle still spinning his wheels trying to gin up illegal gun bans).

-----

In a message dated 6/1/2009 4:15:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ljones@kuow.org writes:

Hello,

I’m working on a story about the OpenCarrry demonstration/gathering yesterday in Kitsap County, WA. I’d like to talk with one of your members who attended about the event and efforts to get the law changed. Please let me know if can put me in touch with someone.

Some possible members: Samuel Cadle, James Milner or Bill Starks.

Could you please ask one of them or another WA member to call me at the number below before 3 p.m. today? Or send me their contact info?

Thank you,

Liz Jones

KUOW 94.9 Public Radio

NPR News and Information

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I dunno why they're so hung up on this "law." They want to know how we're going to "get the law changed," and how the picnic-goers (I wasn't there) were "breaking the law and getting away with it" and that they were "protesting a law."

Way to miss the point.

Anyway, the article was still well-balanced and someone should definitely follow up. This is great publicity.

FMCDH

imported post

I attempted to contact her at the number provided but received a general switchboard asking for an extension. I will try again and give her info as best I can, since I do not know the direct contact info for Sempercarry or some of the others.

MadHatter66

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
I dunno why they're so hung up on this "law."  They want to know how we're going to "get the law changed," and how the picnic-goers (I wasn't there) were "breaking the law and getting away with it" and that they were "protesting a law."

Way to miss the point.

Anyway, the article was still well-balanced and someone should definitely follow up.  This is great publicity.

breaking the law and getting away with it was referring to the county breaking the law and getting away with it...it was a bad headline, and the writer of the story even stated that...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I personally liked the headline. But maybe that's just the rebel in me. I was working all week or I would have been there breaking the local pre-empted law also.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17672

(audio link: http://www.kuow.org/mp3high/mp3/News/20090602_lj_kitsapguns.mp3)

head_NS.gif
Dueling Gun Laws 06/02/2009
Gun advocates have turned up the heat on Kitsap County. They're challenging a county law that prohibits guns in public parks.

Dozens of gun–toting picnickers gathered in a Silverdale park this weekend, openly wearing their firearms. That's illegal, under a county ordinance. But state law allows gun owners to openly carry firearms in most public places.
Tacoma resident Jonathan Harris helped organized Sunday's picnic. He wants the county to remove its gun ban signs from local parks.

Harris: "We feel it's a bullying move by Kitsap County. That the people who are less educated about the laws will see the signs and think it's illegal, when in fact it is not. So having the signs there is kind of the county bullying educating less educated people into not exercising their rights."
Harris says he openly carries a gun because it's more comfortable, and it can also help deter crime.

Although Harris and others at the picnic openly flouted the county law, local sheriff's deputies made no arrests.
Wilson: "Because we realize it butts heads. It butts up against state law. There's a conflict between the two and state law basically trumps county ordinance."
That's Scott Wilson. He's a spokesman for the Kitsap County Sheriff's Department. He can't remember any case when the county's gun law has been used. And he admits the county's law is not enforceable.
Wilson: "So we realize this situation – we have received guidance from the Prosecutor's Office on this in the past. It is a law that probably does need to be amended on the books."

Kitsap County Commissioner Charlotte Garrido agrees. She plans to put this issue on the commissioners' agenda soon. That's the first step toward a possible change in the county law.

Meanwhile, Harris and other "open carry" advocates plan to keep up the pressure on Kitsap County. They say that's worked in other areas. Bremerton recently overturned its gun restrictions in city parks. And University Place, near Tacoma, removed the gun ban signs from its parks.

Liz Jones, KUOW News.