• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC event in Louisville

kungfu01

imported post

Hey guys,

joined the board double checking the open carry laws...glad to see there is a lively Kentucky section!

I just saw this event advertised in a coupon book "Family Savings" and figured we could increase the turn out

I have cut and pasted a link to make things easier.

http://www.newbethelchurchky.org/openCarryCelebration.htm

I have noconnection tothis church or event in any way but I would like to see more events like these in Louisville!

langzaiguy

imported post

A really nice idea with really good intentions. I was super excited about coming until I read the part where I can't bring my loaded gun. Maybe they'll have a gun tossing contest?

On the other hand, I could see how it could be a liability on their part if they were advertising that everyone should show up armed.

KY-RN-G

imported post

I might be able to understand asking the participates not to carry a round in the chamber, but to have the weapon unloaded seems backwards to me. I was planning on attending before the part about the cold range carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The cold range issue may be insurance driven. Now if they are asking and leaving cold carry on the honor system sounds good to me but if they are doing a weapons check to enter I would be irritated by that. However, even with their rules, it sounds like if nothing else an interesting event and idea and one which I would be inclined to attend if I lived closer.

Statesman

imported post

KY-RN-G wrote:
I might be able to understand asking the participates not to carry a round in the chamber, but to have the weapon unloaded seems backwards to me. I was planning on attending before the part about the cold range carry.
"Foot in the door."

8th ID

imported post

This sounds like a nice event. I would happily make the drive from Lexington, but I really can't get over the policy of bringing an unloaded weapon. I'm sure they won't miss me, but sorry,I won't be attending.

8th ID

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
A really nice idea with really good intentions. I was super excited about coming until I read the part where I can't bring my loaded gun. Maybe they'll have a gun tossing contest?

On the other hand, I could see how it could be a liability on their part if they were advertising that everyone should show up armed.
GUN TOSSING CONTEST!! NOW THAT'S FUNNY! GOOD ONE!!:celebrate

Cottonbaler

imported post

I posted this on the KY Hometown Forum at AR15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=27&t=364019&page=1

I see the concern about the "unloaded firearms" part but really, most people don't know OC is legal and the media attention generated by this is an effort at educating the sheeple.

I, like others here, share the "all or nothing" sentiment. But that's no reason to look this gift horse in the mouth. If we want to plan an OC picnic timed a month or so after this then let's use this event as a stepping stone.

Personally, I'm going to try to win that handgun Raffle! I don't own a handgun but I fully support OC and CCW. The only firearm I own is a Mosin and I'll probably sling that sucker across my back and join the fun!:lol:

BTW, this is my first post on the board and I hope to join the ranks of patriotic handgunners soon.

8th ID

imported post

Cottonbaler wrote:
I posted this on the KY Hometown Forum at AR15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=27&t=364019&page=1

I see the concern about the "unloaded firearms" part but really, most people don't know OC is legal and the media attention generated by this is an effort at educating the sheeple.

I, like others here, share the "all or nothing" sentiment. But that's no reason to look this gift horse in the mouth. If we want to plan an OC picnic timed a month or so after this then let's use this event as a stepping stone.

Personally, I'm going to try to win that handgun Raffle! I don't own a handgun but I fully support OC and CCW. The only firearm I own is a Mosin and I'll probably sling that sucker across my back and join the fun!:lol:

BTW, this is my first post on the board and I hope to join the ranks of patriotic handgunners soon.
WELCOME! We just had 9 do an OC meet here in Lexington at Cracker Barrel. And I'd like to get something else going next month, too. Have you seen the thread about "Guns and Garbage"? Look at that thread it's an OC event to pick up trash along Richmond RD here in Lex. It's June 21st. Check it out. I hear what you're saying about the concerns on the picnic with unloaded weapons. But, let me propose a scenario: A person who is crazy and wants to do some damage reads the church flyer-well, this person KNOWS that all these people are essentially unarmed and can go in and kill many of the people attending. I'd be more likely to attend just to see the reaction to your Mosin across your back! Nice!:)

Fred

imported post

Well intentioned but seems alittle silly to open carry a weapon with no ammo. If someone choses to confront you your upshit'screek with no paddle.:uhoh:

8th ID

imported post

Yeah Fred, this sounds like a great event. But the reason I carry is for protection. And what kind of stance is this Church taking? "We believe in the 2A right to bear UNLOADED arms"

Cottonbaler

imported post

Perhaps a solution would be to OC with no magazine in the sidearm as requested but have it secured in a mag carrier. A very slim chance some freak would try to crash the party but in that unlikely instance you can still load and chamber a round to defend yourself.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. This is going to be a BIG OC event with dozens, perhaps hundreds of your RKBA friends! Go and have a good time for a couple of hours! Eat some food, socialize, strategize and maybe win a new handgun. Once it's over you can go back to Condition 1.

From the same topic over at the AR15.com KY Hometown Forum:

Any USPSA/IPSC event I have ever attended has been a "cold range" as the ad refers to. "Cold range" generally refers to gun in the holster with no round in the chamber and no magazine in the firearm.
AND:

You also have the right to not participate in the event. But that's cool. Someone's trying to speak out for the Second Amendment and you all want to crap all over it.

Knob Creek operates a cold range.
The hometown forum shoot this past weekend was cold.
Bluegrass Indoor Range is a cold range.
Open Range is a cold range.
All IPSC, IDPA, etc, matches are a cold range.
Every range I've ever heard about or been to has been cold.

I don't see what the big deal is here. The church is hosting this event and for both safety and insurance reasons, they are asking responsible gun owners to join them and operate in a cold range environment. This isn't the government telling you what you can and can't do. It's private property and the owners/managers of that property have the right to ask you to operate cold that day.
I'm going. Besides, if I win that raffle (PLEASE DEAR GOD!) you can celebrate with me.
:celebrate

8th ID

imported post

Cottonbaler wrote:
Besides, if I win that raffle (PLEASE DEAR GOD!) you can celebrate with me.
:celebrate
Now, that's great:what:Almost makes me want to show up to see if you win!

Fred

imported post

They put up a good argument but I'm on the fence. I'll continue to follow this thread and the other ones started on the subject and make a final decision when the time nears. Not familiar at all with the area so I'm going to do a map and image recon. Everyone in the event may be all on the same sheet of music but what kind of neigbhood is this event taking place in.

KY-RN-G

imported post

I agree those places operate a cold range and my local range does also, but that doesn't keep me from concealed carrying to the range. I suppose I could also conceal carry to this event while OC'ing a "cold" weapon.

Wyoming

imported post

Since I live about 30 miles away I will go with one sidearm and plan to leave with two as soon as the drawing is over. :celebrate

I understand the cold carry concept. Every major rnage I have been at have that same policy. You park your car, remove the magazine or empty the cylinder, clear the weapon and go enjoy yourself. You leave the event and reload when you get to your vehicle.

Cottonbaler

imported post

Fred wrote:
They put up a good argument but I'm on the fence. I'll continue to follow this thread and the other ones started on the subject and make a final decision when the time nears. Not familiar at all with the area so I'm going to do a map and image recon. Everyone in the event may be all on the same sheet of music but what kind of neigbhood is this event taking place in.

Fred, the neighborhood is middle class. If you're familiar with Dixie Hwy. in Louisville drive south past the Meijer. At the three way stop in front of Valley High School turn left. There's a Walgreen's there and a Beef O'Brady's. Drive over the RR tracks and continue about a half mile. The church will be on the right.

The church is in a nice area...not fancy-schmanzy but not run down either. In fact there's a new residential development on the left.

Fred

imported post

Good to know thanks for the info

Cottonbaler wrote:
Fred wrote:

Fred, the neighborhood is middle class. If you're familiar with Dixie Hwy. in Louisville drive south past the Meijer. At the three way stop in front of Valley High School turn left. There's a Walgreen's there and a Beef O'Brady's. Drive over the RR tracks and continue about a half mile. The church will be on the right.

The church is in a nice area...not fancy-schmanzy but not run down either. In fact there's a new residential development on the left.