• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Encounter with LEO

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
the500kid wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
I'm at the point now where I won't even stop until an officer TELLS me (not asks) to stop. A simple "No thanks, I'm busy." should suffice.
What the usual reaction you get when you tell the LEO "No thanks, I'm busy" ?

I'll tell you when it happens.

I expect that the very next thing that'll happen is that they'll compel me to stop. At which point, they MUST have Reasonable Articulable Suspicion to have stopped me.

The first thing out of my mouth will be notifying them that I'm carrying concealed (if I am), then I'll say "Since you compelled me to stop, you must have had reasonable articulable suspicion to have done so. What's your RAS for stopping me, officer?"

If he has none, then I'll respond "Then I'm sure you wont mind if I go about my business."

If he won't let you go at that point, then he's committing a federal felony (abuse of power under color of law), and violating your 4th amendment rights, which gives you the power to sue for damages.

Be careful with this. I don't think they have to tell you anything, let alone what their RS/PC is. However, if they tell you they are not detaining you... then they are not detaining you. That doesn't mean that they will just let you walk away. Remember, some of these officers are going to go to criminal lengths to infringe your rights. The officer in Ohio told the OC'er that he wasn't being detained, and also that he wasn't free to go. How we handle each encounter is up to each individual to decide. Ultimately, you are the one who is going to deal with the potential repercussions.

First....to correct the red text, it's Title 18, Sec 242 USC "Deprivation of rights under color of law" and according to the punishment schedule, it only a misdemeanor unless or until actual 'bodily injury' occurs.

Second... Don't ASK if you are free to go.... ESTABLISH that you are:

Am I under arrest? Open the bid with the highest card as they must 'trump' you to retain authority. I dare say 99.9% of the time this will catch them off guard and they will respond in the negative. This does two things:
1: If you ARE under arrest, you now know to STFU to protect yourself.
2: If you are NOT under arrest, you have established such through their own statements, and just trumped any future claims of 'resisting arrest' as you peacefully walk away (after the following).

Am I being detained? Same as above....establish through their own statements that you are NOT being detained. If they indicate that you ARE being detained, DEMAND RAS. Do not relent. It would seem to be genereal consensus that they are not required to articulate their suspicion to YOU, just that they have it for the judge, but I maintain that if they truly do have RAS then it should be no problem to voice to ME it in the instant matter in order for me to know that they are not playing on (my) ignorance and trying to trick (me) into voluntarily surrendering my rights secured by the fourth and fifth.

If they indicate that you are NOT being detained, do not ASK if you are free to leave...make it a statement that you ARE leaving:

"Thank you. Having established through your own statements (Emphasise that line!), that I am NOT under arrest NOR being detained I am terminating this encounter and departing forthwith (or 'leaving immediately' if that more natural to your speach patterns). I leave you in peace, and bid you good day."

Then turn and WALK. Any action on their part that hinders your free movement from that point on is a direct CRIMINAL violation of 18USC sec 242. Remember....recorders are your friends.

I have had folks say that the whole "departing forthwith" and "I leave you in peace" thing was a little over the top, but I wanted to include a formal statement to establish that I was offering no resistance to any exercise of lawful authority but simply removing myself from their presence and the olde-tyme language pattern seemed to get the point across the best.

(caveat: do the research to determine if your state has a clearly defined 'stop and identify' statute. )

But here’s the problem with that scenario of the 7 times I’ve been stopped last month most of them began with the LEO’s ordering me get my hands up and disarming me first. In the first few seconds of the stop they are in no mood to stand there and debate with you whether they have RAS/PC. They know that once they gain possession of your gun you aren’t going anywhere until you get it back. So yeah the LEO’s will say "Yeah sure, youre free to go, now." Meanwhile your gun is sitting on their dashboard of the squad car.

And if you try to jerk away from them while your hands are up to prevent them from disarming you, the citizen runs the risk of being shot or getting roughed up. It isn’t until they gain possession of your gun do they begin to become talkative.

When you ask "Am I being detained?" they usually wont give you a straight answer yes or no, they’ll give you some long winded answer to stall for time while their partner is disarming you.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

for the sake of argument, what do you suppose would happen if you told them at that point that you wouldnt answer any more questions until your firearm was returned? And then stuck by it.

They do not have RAS or PC at this point.

edited for punctuation

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cmdr_iceman71 wrote:
But here’s the problem with that scenario of the 7 times I’ve been stopped last month most of them began with the LEO’s ordering me get my hands up and disarming me first. In the first few seconds of the stop they are in no mood to stand there and debate with you whether they have RAS/PC. They know that once they gain possession of your gun you aren’t going anywhere until you get it back. So yeah the LEO’s will say "Yeah sure, youre free to go, now." Meanwhile your gun is sitting on their dashboard of the squad car.

And if you try to jerk away from them while your hands are up to prevent them from disarming you, the citizen runs the risk of being shot or getting roughed up. It isn’t until they gain possession of your gun do they begin to become talkative.

When you ask "Am I being detained?" they usually wont give you a straight answer yes or no, they’ll give you some long winded answer to stall for time while their partner is disarming you
The purpose of asking questions like "am I free to go?, why are you detaining me?, is it because of the lawful possession of a firearm?", is not to convince them you are right, it's to have on record your statements and their answer to these very important questions.

The LEO is going to do whatever he wants. You just want to have on record that you were doing nothing wrong and have them admit that you were doing nothing wrong and the only reason they detained you was for the lawful OC of a firearm.

That is why you ask these questions.....they are for the record.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

cmdr_iceman71 wrote:

When you ask "Am I being detained?" they usually wont give you a straight answer yes or no, they’ll give you some long winded answer to stall for time while their partner is disarming you.
They got your gun, so frickin what.

LEAVE!

Call local PD and report it stolen, also a call to the FBI couldn't hurt either.

"jerk away" NEVER NEVER NEVER resist physically!

Again, don't ask to leave, TELL THEM YOU ARE LEAVING in like 30 seconds if they don't tell you that you are "detained" AND what the RAS is.

Count to 30 then WALK (or ride in your case:) )

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
for the sake of argument, what do you suppose would happen if you told them at that point that you wouldnt answer any more questions until your firearm was returned? And then stuck by it.

They do not have RAS or PC at this point.

edited for punctuation
fozzy71 wrote:
wrong thread imo
How so? This is a valid question which fits neatly into this discussion.

fozzy71

imported post

Sorry, I was referencing my own deleted post, not yours. I had 2 threads open and posted a reply here, that was meant for another thread.

I dont understand why you can edit a post forever on this board but you can never delete it. :?

Most boards you usually have a time (30 minutes) where you can edit or delete your post.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
I dont understand why you can edit a post forever on this board but you can never delete it. :?

Its left open for our own legal protection, and the right to amend an incorrect or improper statement. If something comes up in the future, or near future, where LEO is involved, then you may want to edit a statement.

You can ask the mods to delete a post or a thread, if its important. When I caught that BS charge last year, I asked the thread be deleted based on the advice of my attorney, and they took care of it right away. When the case was settled, they were good enough to put the thread back up.

kryptonian

imported post

GET A RECORDER!!!! my first encounter was great and the picture of what a LEO should do. this let my guard down and didn't think i needed recording device but my second run in went bad quick. i wrote the department and the chief himself contacted me and admitted that the officer was wrong and he would be counseled. the chief gave me his direct phone number and email address. my complaint letter opened with telling him to see if there are any dash cams or officer recordings so he could see i was not exaggerating my claims. GET A RECORDER.

kevinjames

imported post

I like the idea of carrying a recorder. but what if the leo tries to take it or delete the recording???:uhoh:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kevinjames wrote:
I like the idea of carrying a recorder. but what if the leo tries to take it or delete the recording???:uhoh:

I have two safeguards in place for that.

My primary recorder has a "hold" switch which prevents *accidental* fumblings, but can be easily disabled.

My secondary recorder is my cell phone, which records audio, video, or both, and sends it to a remote location over the air, so that even if they are able to disable the recording, they have no way of deleting it.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I always wondered if they deleted it, if you could argue that it was a violatiion of due process.
How would you prove they deleted it?

If you're set up like Zig, you could, but beyond that, I think it would fall on deaf ears.

craigm

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I always wondered if they deleted it, if you could argue that it was a violatiion of due process.
How would you prove they deleted it?

If you're set up like Zig, you could, but beyond that, I think it would fall on deaf ears.

I'm going to guess most of these voice recorders use internal flash memory. Assuming you don't record anything AFTER the recording is deleted, recovery of deleted files isn't usually too hard if the device is just recognized as a storage device. If you really wanted to file a suit, hire a professional to recover the information.

B

Bikenut

imported post

There are covert video+audio recorders out there that must be hooked up to a computer to download/erase their files. There is no way to delete/erase anything by pushing exterior buttons. Perhaps smashing it would make it impossible to retrieve a recording but...

If carrying more than one covert recorder then the smashing would also be recorded.... in video.

Some police officers also use those covert recorders.... but I suspect most do not know they exist... yet. But since what is posted on this forum is monitored I'm sure just this post will cause some searching.......

Google fu your way around the 'net to find what is available.....

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is why I state " Officer I am exercising my legal right to Open Carry in defense of my self & other law abiding citizens" Then straight into: Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Whenever I carry I've got my recorder going there's nothing better than someones own words to clarify what really happened.

Was this a bogus stop & LEIN? Sure sounds like it so far. This will eventually end "I hope" in the next year or so as more knowledge gets out on OC. There will always be a rouge cop or two but even they will get it after being sued for violating the civil rights of law abiding citizens!

Ok - I will hop down off my Soap box now. Thanks for letting me rant. :banghead: