• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convention Over..... New Richmond Coliseum Firearm Rules Posted on Website!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

darthmord wrote:
But my point still stands. How would the Colisseum know if you were CC if you were carrying CC? Do they wand you or put you through a metal detector as a requirement to entry?
Interesting you ask that. As we left on Saturday to get lunch, one of the staff told us open carry was okay, but not concealed. When I asked "how would you know?" I was told that's why they search.

So when I went back in, with a gun on my hip, a knife clipped to my pocket, and a bottle of water in my hand ............ what were they searching for then????

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
darthmord wrote:
But my point still stands. How would the Colisseum know if you were CC if you were carrying CC? Do they wand you or put you through a metal detector as a requirement to entry?
Interesting you ask that. As we left on Saturday to get lunch, one of the staff told us open carry was okay, but not concealed. When I asked "how would you know?" I was told that's why they search.

So when I went back in, with a gun on my hip, a knife clipped to my pocket, and a bottle of water in my hand ............ what were they searching for then????
City property, preemption, concealed OK. no authority to pat down. Who's going to stop you?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Tess wrote:
darthmord wrote:

City property, preemption, concealed OK. no authority to pat down. Who's going to stop you?
Likely no one. :lol: Care to dance?

Yata hey

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
Dispatcher wrote:
Just thought I'd look at what they may have put up and sure enough this is what's there:

"Weapons
NOTICE: The Richmond Coliseum's policy against bringing weapons into the building or arena shall not otherwise prohibit the lawful carrying of a handgun or other firearms or the lawful carrying of a concealed handgun with a valid permit issued pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308. The Richmond Coliseum reserves the right to search any person (including any belongings) prior to entry and while on the Coliseum's premises and to temporarily stop any person carrying a concealed handgun for the purpose of allowing a law-enforcement officer to examine the person's concealed handgun permit and necessary photo ID. We appreciate your cooperation as we try to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for our employees, guests and performers"
So I guess I can sling my AR. Cool!
If I remember correctly no mags over 20 rds unless you have a CHP in designated cities which includes Richmond.
Correct. I believe the limit was set to localities with 180,000+ population, but I do not recall if counties, such Henrico and Chesterfield (well over) are included.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Icetera wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
If I remember correctly no mags over 20 rds unless you have a CHP in designated cities which includes Richmond.
Correct. I believe the limit was set to localities with 180,000+ population, but I do not recall if counties, such Henrico and Chesterfield (well over) are included.
Used to be set by population but that was burdened with the obvious problem.
To clarify the GA changed that section to read that in certain cities (larger ones) which are listed, would be illegal to carry magazines with more than 20 rds. unless you possess a CHP These cities include Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton and some others. Do not recall mention of counties.

My google fu is tired this evening. Anybody that can provide cite will be appreciated.

Yata hey

TexasNative

imported post

Gotcha covered, GS:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Icetera

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Icetera wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Used to be set by population but that was burdened with the obvious problem.
To clarify the GA changed that section to read that in certain cities (larger ones) which are listed, would be illegal to carry magazines with more than 20 rds. unless you possess a CHP These cities include Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton and some others. Do not recall mention of counties.

My google fu is tired this evening. Anybody that can provide cite will be appreciated.

Yata hey

EDIT: Too slow, thanks Texas.

IanB

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The key is their ABC designation - they are designated as a "Food Concession".

CC is only prohibited in "restaurants" and "clubs".
There is an establishment inside the Coliseum called "The Coliseum Club" that has an ABC restaurant license. Access to the club is normally limited to ticket holders with box/VIP seats.

http://www.richmondcoliseum.net/luxury_club.asp
As a Club Member, you and your guests enjoy special benefits and amenities not afforded to other guests of the Coliseum including:
  • First right of refusal to purchase Club Level tickets before public on-sale.
  • Personalized ticketing services. Never stand in line again.
  • New, extra wide seating.
  • Access to the exclusive Coliseum Club that features:
    • Private restaurant featuring upscale furnishings and premium food & beverage selections.
    • Private restrooms inside the Club.
    • Exclusive facility entrance for Club Seating members with elevator access.
    • State of the art flat screen televisions throughout.

darthmord

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
The key is their ABC designation - they are designated as a "Food Concession".

CC is only prohibited in "restaurants" and "clubs".
There is an establishment inside the Coliseum called "The Coliseum Club" that has an ABC restaurant license. Access to the club is normally limited to ticket holders with box/VIP seats.

http://www.richmondcoliseum.net/luxury_club.asp
As a Club Member, you and your guests enjoy special benefits and amenities not afforded to other guests of the Coliseum including:
  • First right of refusal to purchase Club Level tickets before public on-sale.
  • Personalized ticketing services. Never stand in line again.
  • New, extra wide seating.
  • Access to the exclusive Coliseum Club that features:
    • Private restaurant featuring upscale furnishings and premium food & beverage selections.
    • Private restrooms inside the Club.
    • Exclusive facility entrance for Club Seating members with elevator access.
    • State of the art flat screen televisions throughout.
The relevant question then would be what the ABC has classified that establishment as. If they have it licensed as a concession stand, then it wouldn't be a 'club' or 'restaurant'.

IanB

imported post

The club is a separate ABC entity located inside the Coliseum. It has it's own walls, doors, and delineated space that it occupies. The club area is the restricted area, not the Coliseum at large.

Think of this like a mall. The entire mall has an ABCconcession license. But... ONE store inside the mall has an ABCrestaurant license. The CC restrictions apply to thefloor area covered by the restaurant license only.

"Richmond Coliseum" holds a "Food Concession" license with wine/beer privileges.
http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=licenseedata&license=14148

"The Coliseum Club", a separate members only area within the Coliseum holds a "Restaurant" licence with mixed beverageand wine/beer privileges.
http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=licenseedata&license=14149

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Think of this like a mall. The entire mall has an ABCconcession license. But... ONE store inside the mall has an ABCrestaurant license. The CC restrictions apply to thefloor area covered by the restaurant license only.

Good analogy. I tried to post something similar and my computer locked up. When I go next week, I dont expect I'll be visiting that restaurant....too fancy shmancy for my kind! :)

Thundar

imported post

"Weapons
NOTICE: The Richmond Coliseum's policy against bringing weapons into the building or arena shall not otherwise prohibit the lawful carrying of a handgun or other firearms or the lawful carrying of a concealed handgun with a valid permit issued pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.
Does this mean they accept Long Gun Open Carry as something they cannot regulate?....Finally they get it!!!

Me and my AR might have to gosee the Glenn Beck Tour.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
"Weapons
NOTICE: The Richmond Coliseum's policy against bringing weapons into the building or arena shall not otherwise prohibit the lawful carrying of a handgun or other firearms or the lawful carrying of a concealed handgun with a valid permit issued pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.
Does this mean they accept Long Gun Open Carry as something they cannot regulate?....Finally they get it!!!

Me and my AR might have to gosee the Glenn Beck Tour.
I would love to witness that! Go for it!

crazydude6030

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Gotcha covered, GS:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
So I cant open carry in those places unless I have a conceal carry permit? or was that changed?

TexasNative

imported post

Emphasis added to the parts that deal with your question:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered...
So, the rifle, pistol or shotgun has to have one of those features to cause you any problems while open carrying. Practically speaking, as long as your handgun wasn't manufactured to take a suppressor and doesn't have an abnormally large magazine equipped, you're cool while open carrying in any of these locations.

~ Boyd

Riana

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Gotcha covered, GS:

So I cant open carry in those places unless I have a conceal carry permit? or was that changed?
No, you only need a CHP if your centerfire rifle or pistol has a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds, is designed to have a silencer equipped, or has a folding stock, or if your shotgun holds more than 7 rounds. If your sidearm doesn't fit in those categories, you're good to go. ;)

crazydude6030

imported post

Riana wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Gotcha covered, GS:

No, you only need a CHP if your centerfire rifle or pistol has a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds, is designed to have a silencer equipped, or has a folding stock, or if your shotgun holds more than 7 rounds. If your sidearm doesn't fit in those categories, you're good to go. ;)
How screwed up is that! To limit those things to just those areas... I mean wow. Thanks for clearing that up. I didnt read it like that at first.

Icetera

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Riana wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Gotcha covered, GS:

How screwed up is that! To limit those things to just those areas... I mean wow. Thanks for clearing that up. I didnt read it like that at first.
Apparently, they were worried about high-population areas as the old code specified the population limit of 180k or so.

Thundar

imported post

Icetera wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
Riana wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
Gotcha covered, GS:

Apparently, they were worried about high-population areas as the old code specified the population limit of 180k or so.
That is correct. It was not well written because before a citizen had to go find census data to determine whether a city was on the list. VCDL lobbied to have that fixed (Not that they are happy with the limitation, but at least a person who can read can understand the law.)