• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FNG From Tucson

thehuskybear

imported post

Hi, Im new to the site and new to OC. I have carried in the past while hunting and camping and often carry my cheapo 9mm Llama unloaded and holstered when traveling. I have been wanting to get a CCW for some time now, mostly for the trainning, but I am planning on OC most of the time. My reason being that I have had a few bad experiences in the past where a OC gun would have defused or helped avoid the situation, but more than that, I live in and am often around areas with bobcats/moutain lions... having a 3yr old that likes to run off often concerns me. Esp with the increased number of rabies cases lately.

Anyway, I am learning a ton from this site and thought I would introduce myself. I also have a few questions.... First off, I am not the most clean cut of guys. Im 22, have quite a few exposed tattoos, often where biker/harley shirts and jeans, and being a ex-bodybuilder (allbeit a now overweight one! haha), I think I give off an intimidating vibe. I expect that I may get some unwanted attention from LEOs as well as concerned citizens. Im wondering if you have any advice for dealing with these encounters. I am always friendly and more likely to walk away from a confrontation than to antagonize one, but I would like to be prepared if someone asks me legit questions about OCing, esp in the case of Law Enforcement. Any advice?

Also, I decided to purchase a new holster for my 9mm Llama (a temporary gun until I can afford something better suited for carrying... its mostly been a plinker). Its a little late to change my mind on buying it, but I wanted to see if this would make a good holster for OC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260390700760&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for your advice and I look forward to making some new friends and resources!

Sam

curtm1911

imported post

Welcome Sam and I hope you feel right at home here.

I think you can go t omost any gun shop and find a holster like that one or even better IMO. No Offense, but I am one of those instant gratification guys, don't like waiting for something in the mail....lol. Anyway, Carry Safely, Carry Often and Always Carry Safe.

crisisweasel

imported post

Well since it has a retention strap, it will do the job, but that's a "landfill holster," the kind of thing most gun shops sell (not to mention gun shows where you will sometimes find them in giant heaps). It may do the trick at first but I bet you're going to want a better one in a few months (in which case it might not be a bad idea just to start there, figure out what you don't like about it, and make further purchasing decisions on that basis - most people probably start out with a holster like the one you're looking at).

I have a fairly cheap (not dirt cheap) Bianchi Accumold holster I enjoy, which us molded to the shape of the gun, which I prefer, although it too has a retention strap. It is comfortable, even when sitting in my truck (I carry a Glock 26 at present). It looks fairly ugly (nothing beats leather for class), but it does the trick.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34685-33.html

Oh, and incidentally as per law enforcement - there is no standard advice on this, by which I mean there tends to be disagreement. Some people distrust police and view confrontations involving legal carry to be a major Constitutional infringement, and others choose to cooperate fully.

Where perhaps there is agreement is on better laws (less of them) and better education of law enforcement as regards legal, peaceable carry.

My own opinion, and this is just my own and shouldn't be mistaken for advice, is that, compared to what I'm used to from my old home state, Arizona police tend to be reasonable and professional - in my personal experience. My own philosophy is if the LEO is inquiring about my pistol because he is honestly concerned for the safety of the situation (his and mine) and not simply being belligerent, I will comply with any reasonable request.

For traffic stops, I personally choose to inform the LEO (not required by law) about the fact I have a firearm to avoid any misunderstandings, since I'll be reaching around the cab of my truck for papers.

In every instance in which I've done this, it hasn't been an issue. The LEO didn't ask to hold my pistol or put it out of reach or anything like that. In fact, in all cases they seemed completely unconcerned.

Frankly, if you look like an outlaw and you take the same approach, that will probably completely de-stress the situation for both of you.

The counterargument to this is, of course, you're sort of waving your rights to privacy re: your Second Amendment rights. Open carry advocates are kind of working toward a "normalization" of gun rights in the mind of the public and the government.

My opinion is that if a situation where ever to escalate (in any circumstance) to the point where my gun would be an issue, it will be only in a completely necessary one, in which its usage was imminent. I do not want an escalation based on a misunderstanding, however I feel about my rights.

thehuskybear

imported post

Thanks guys... Like I said, the Llama is just to get me by until I can step up to a Kimber or maybe even a Glock, so Im hoping this holster will work for the moment. Im not working right now and being a student.. it may be a while before I can step up and get a real carry gun.

Do you guys have any resources / suggestions for training with a holster?

Thanks

Sam

crisisweasel

imported post

Find yourself some BLM land, some soda cans, a nice backstop and go out and draw over and over, is a good place to start. Also, commit to automatic memory the "direction" you need to thwack your thumb at the retention strap to disengage it (for me, it's toward my body - it might be like that for all of them, I don't know).

A lot of people practice drawing in their home. A blue gun or unloaded gun (still pointed in a safe direction, at something you don't mind destroying, with an awareness of what is beyond it and without your finger on the trigger) is necessary for this.

thehuskybear

imported post

Thanks for the advice... thats kinda what I figured I would have to do. Should I try a pull and shoot or just pull (for safety)?

Anyone know of some good open land around Tucson where I wont get harassed for popping off a few rounds? I dont mind going to the range, but I feel more natural when Im shooting outside.

Thanks

Sam

curtm1911

imported post

You can also buy dummy/safety/inert rounds for practice too. You can practice your draw and also dry firing practice. Another suggestion is a .22 pistol, maybe a Ruger MKII/MKIII 22/45 series semi auto, cheap to shoot and lots of fun too. When using dummy rounds, keep live ammo awayfrom your practice area. You do not want to be practicing reloading and put in live ammo and BANG the TV is toast, it can and does happen. Practice SAFELY ALWAYS!!!!! One more thing, ENJOY!!!!!

crisisweasel

imported post

Well, Redington pass is one place I know people shoot. Then there are some of the exits off of 10 headed out past Vail toward Benson that have a lot of open land you should be okay on.

thehuskybear

imported post

Thanks guys... I used a have Ruger 6 shooter .22 that was a fun gun to play around with. Thats probably about the only practice I have drawing from holster! haha At the time, we were looking into joining SASS... would like to do that some day still.

thehuskybear

imported post

Couldn't be any more expensive than my Diesel performance addition! haha.. now I just have one more hobby I can afford! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

thehuskybear

imported post

Well, UPS dropped off a little present and I have to say I like it so far:

l_27870d42ea204b6b85acb6f01ad602c6.jpg

(Sorry bout the crappy pic... its from my cell)

curtm1911

imported post

Sam, Enjoy and Stay Safe. Again, Welcome to the Joy and Freedom of Open Carry. Our ranks swell further by 1 more and we are pleased.......:celebrate:)