• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock rocks!

Dustin

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
esstac wrote:
A fat lip, and some small piece of plastic in my hand. Most of the pressure was directed downward into the magazine and the top 2 rounds were pretty gauged. It did fire off the round and eject the shell, with a huge buldge/opening in the web of the case where there is no support on the chamber/feedramp.

Sounds as if the GLOCK design did what it was supposed to do when catastrophically failing under the pressure of some foul ammo, and that is, to blow down and into the magazine, absorbing the majority of the explosion and saving your hand. Sounds as if it was a double-charged load and/or the barrel was partially obstructed.

Sounds like you work for Glock more than anything :lol::lol::lol:

I guess it was good that the other rounds didn't fire off too. Then what would have happen ? :banghead:

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
As a general side-note: If an unsupported chamber "CAUSED" guns to KB, they would do it the very first time the gun was fired (which is at the factory, prior to shipment), not randomly, thousands of rounds into its service life.

And ? :uhoh:

Which is more likely to KB ? and Which one do we have the most examples of KB.ing ?

The answer is unsupported chambers. :?

smash29

imported post

Jeez, I was hoping that just this one time a thread complimenting Glock wouldn't turn into a plastic gun debate or an outlet for people who don't like Glocks but I guess that really was too much to hope for. Lesson learned....

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

But...but, but HE started it!

OK. All stories about how horrible GLOCKs are and how many people don't like them for whatever reasons aside, I have personallyNEVER had a failure of any kind with my various GLOCKs that I've owned (1st Gen G17, 2nd Gen G23, all other 3rd Gen--- G19, G20, G20C, G22RTF, G23x2, G23C, G27, G30x2) and for me, that's good enough for me to continue to trust my life and the lives of my family members to them. When I sleep, my G22RTF is my go-to gun when things go bump in the night.

After a dozen GLOCKs and no issues, I'm happy and satisfied.

-G20

esstac

imported post

And FYI, don't take what I posted as anti glock or my glock is better then your insert name

I love my glocks, even with a handgrenade of a 21 going off in my hand, I still carry that gun and would not trade it for anything. :cool:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
And ? :uhoh:

Which is more likely to KB ? and Which one do we have the most examples of KB.ing ?

The answer is unsupported chambers. :?

I thought I'd chime in here to agree with this part of Dustin's post. I'm not anti-Glock, although I don't own any currently. The problem is indeed an unsupported chamber. Any gun with an unsupported chamber, not just Glocks.

For those of you that talk about shooting high power loads out of your guns with unsupported chambers, have a look at your brass and see if there is a bulge. Bet there is! I reload a lot of different calibers and spend a lot more time looking at brass than the averange range rat so it's something I pay close attention to. The other thing you'll notice, if you do reload, is the primer hole in the case will be loose, or primers may fall out with the really hot stuff.

Dustin

imported post

No one mentioned anything about hating Glocks. :cool:

Just becausewe provide an objective view, doesn't meanwe hate them.

If your really looking for"Groupie Glock love" there's always

http://glocktalk.com/forums/

http://glockforums.net/

http://glockcarry.com/forum/

http://www.glockforums.com/

After 25 years in service, there's tons of places that WILL NOT provide you with an objective view about Glocks.

At least hereyour belief/opinions get tested. That's where knowledge grows :)

Peace Men, it's Friday, see you all Monday morning :monkey

JBinMontana

imported post

Thanks Dustin for the links, but I still love the G20 10mm

glockchimpgif.gif

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

smash29 wrote:
Jeez, I was hoping that just this one time a thread complimenting Glock wouldn't turn into a plastic gun debate or an outlet for people who don't like Glocks but I guess that really was too much to hope for. Lesson learned....

It's invevitable. Certain topics just kind of bring out the standard scripts...like the IL on new Smith revolvers....like a magazine safety...like Smith & Wesson as a company... like a gun buyback program...

Years ago, when I was collecting and shootinga lot revolvers I started reading about GLOCKS on the forums but I wasn't too interested in semi-autos. But I always got that impression that somehow, GLOCKS were "bad," based on the most salient posts about them I scanned.So, I kind ofpositioned GLOCKS as being "bad" in my mind.

Then a G23 came my wayat agood price and I picked it up. Then aG27. Then a G20. And most recently a G21SF. These guns are reliable and shoot good.

It just goes to show that I have to make my own judgments about things.

But, hey, mention a GLOCK and the scripts come out....

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HankT wrote:
Years ago, when I was collecting and shootinga lot revolvers I started reading about GLOCKS on the forums but I wasn't too interested in semi-autos. But I always got that impression that somehow, GLOCKS were "bad," based on the most salient posts about them I scanned.So, I kind ofpositioned GLOCKS as being "bad" in my mind.

Then a G23 came my wayat agood price and I picked it up. Then aG27. Then a G20. And most recently a G21SF. These guns are reliable and shoot good.

Troll-Goof with a gun indeed.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:

Troll-Goof with a gun indeed.

Do you own any GLOCKS, Doug? What has been your experience with them?

Good or bad?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Not good enough to keep.

My CCW is a H&K USPc .40 My OCW is a SA 1911-A1 (on my hip all morning) and my show off piece is an Interarms-Mauser Luger in black satin.

Well, the USPc is a fine gun. The SA is ordinary but that Luger sounds interesting.

Got a pic?

Bustelo5%

imported post

I just put a glock 21 on layaway purchase price is 474 sounds good to me.
Can you guys give me some positives or negs of the g21?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I got nothing against Glock, I almost purchased one a few months ago, But I really liked the way the XD-m fit my hand better and I wanted .40 caliber.Sincethe XD-mhas a fully supported chamber.
I load all my own ammo after having a "KB" with a rifle with factory ammo. They pulled brass & steelfrom my arm and treated the burns to my face, & arms, and my left eye got burned and brass penetrated into it. (yes I was wearing glasses, it bounced up from the bench and stil got me)

If you are picking up range brass in .40, or buying "Once Fired" brass. it is real easy to tell if it was fired from a glock.
You will see a rectangular indent in the primer. and in some cases you will also see what has been called a "Guppy Belly" bulge in the brass nearthe case head. Scrap that brass if you find the bulge (check it with a caliper too) . Flatten it with a hammer so nobody else tries to use it and has a case-head seperation (AKA "KB")

The alleged KB's have mostly been in the .40 guns, sinceit is a fairly high-pressure load to begin with. And do not shhot lead through a .40 Glock, that can increase pressures too.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well I think I am gettting a better bang for my buck to be honest 474 for a glock 21 45.
Whatdo you mean about the fully supported chamber? BTW im a newb.Is that because the contruction is not solid and ou can move it around?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thats why I bought a KKB barrel for my Glock 23, don't have to worry about kabooms.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Well I think I am gettting a better bang for my buck to be honest 474 for a glock 21 45.
Whatdo you mean about the fully supported chamber? BTW im a newb.Is that because the contruction is not solid and ou can move it around?

What glock has done to their .40 caliber guns isto facilitate better feeding, the chamber at the 6-O'clock position does not fully cover the brass casing, a fraction of it has nothing around it. A hot-load (factory or reload) and eben standard pressure loads can stress the brass to the point of it not being able to contain the pressures and it ruptures. or the brass may bulge slightly in that area, or it may let loose and some of the hot gasses blow down into the magazine and launch it out of the gun destroying a few things along the way

Reloading brass shot from an older glock .40 is risky, especially if it is going to be shoit through the same gun. The more brass is stretched and reformed, the more brittle it gets. Some people anneal their brass after a certain number of firings to make it more pliable again. I do not mess with that. I use a digital caliper to measure fired brass to make sure it is still within SAAMI specs and to verify suitability for reuse.

LEE's reloading manual specifically states that their .40 loading recipes are not to be used in Glock pistols. I think they are just covering their own butts.

Lots of stuff on the web on examining brass, just be careful of load data on the web, you alone are responsible for safety of reloaded ammunition.