• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Church day event in Valley Station, KY

N00blet45

imported post

The whole gun store advertising thing, is that going to be during or after service? I have no problem with it after service but during service it could be a distraction from the service.

The unloaded thing doesn't seem to make any sense. Hell, I might as well carry a knife or a taser if I'm going to carry an unloaded pistol. I know! I could take my AK and attach the bayonet. That way it can be unloaded and work as a spear.

shooter_tx

imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
What I am somewhat baffled by, however, is the notion of promoting an open carry Sunday with empty guns. I'm not sure why they added this proviso. I would have rather had them add the proviso (if they really thought it necessary) of carrying without a round in the chamber.
I was wondering if it had anything to do w/ the fact that it's trying to get people who don't normally do so to open carry? People who might own firearms but not [yet] open carry because they feel 'unqualified' (for lack of a better word at the moment) to do so...

I ask this because they're going to have talks/demos about gun safety, etc.

So, if I'm going to meet my young cousin down at the range at my grandparents' house to teach him how to shoot, I'm might ask him to bring his gun, but to come with it unloaded. I think the same principle may be at play here.

Maybe this is just "Step1" ("familiarity and safety") and Step2 or Step3 will involve asking/encouraging his parishoners to open carry to every church service from here on out.

I don't like the idea of carrying neutered firearms, inherently, but I think those of us nearby and/or in KY might want to attend anyway. If for no other reason, than to maybe have a polite/civil discussion with the pastor, ascertain his true motive/rationale for this event and the neuter requirement, and maybe even educate him a little (if such an education needs to take place).

IanB

imported post

Carrying an unloaded paperweight = STUPID. Criminal walks into church, kills the police man, and demands everyone surrender their unloaded firearm. Now a thug has a nice gun collection.

I suppose you could fix bayonets if disarmed by the preacher...

PB-1.jpg

shooter_tx

imported post

Mike wrote:

Pagano is encouraging church members to bring a canned good and a friend to the event. He said guns must be unloaded for insurance purposes and safety reasons. He said the point was not to mix worship with guns, though he may reference some passages from the Bible. “Firearms can be evil and they can be useful,” he said. “We’re just trying to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety.”
:banghead:

"Firearms can be USED for good or evil." USED.....

FMCDH

imported post

shooter_tx wrote:
Mike wrote:

Pagano is encouraging church members to bring a canned good and a friend to the event. He said guns must be unloaded for insurance purposes and safety reasons. He said the point was not to mix worship with guns, though he may reference some passages from the Bible. “Firearms can be evil and they can be useful,” he said. “We’re just trying to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety.”
:banghead:

"Firearms can be USED for good or evil." USED.....
I guess the good preacher has found some kind of loophole in the scriptures that assigns souls to firearms.

All mine must be the well behaved type, or maybe they are just bidding their time, waiting to let their "evil" side out! :uhoh: