Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advie-gun for girlfriend-she has small hands

Post imported post

Ive been looking for a carry pistol for my girlfriend. She is a typical girlie girl with very small hands. My Bersa wasnt a good fit. I bought an LCP. Had a big kick (its so light) and the trigger pull is very long, she couldnt fire it accurately. I was thinking a .38 revolver perhaps a SP 101 witha 4 inch barrel? Any suggestions? Something simple and easy to fire for small hands.....

Post imported post

I think that revolver will kick more than the LCP. There is no spring to help with the recoil. Try the Kel-Tec P-32. It kicks less than the Kel-Tec P-3AT wanna be LCP. The .32 is still a better round to carry than nothing. My buddy has one and it is very controllable.

Post imported post

Take her to a range that rents pistols. "Rent the case" and let her try a bunch, and let her decide which one she likes the best.

It's far better to let her choose than for you to choose on her behalf. You can provide input and answer questions, but ultimately the decision needs to be hers.

And remember, as with any guy picking out a gun, there might be some "oh, cool" factor involved. She might just find one that really gets her excited, even if you don't particularly approve of the brand, the caliber, the color (pink, anyone?) or whatever.

Post imported post

Can't help you with revolvers but Taurus PT-111 fits small hands well. Ditto for Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

In my opinion stick with semi auto, revolvers will give more kick especially .38 spl with small barrel give more recoil than long barrel..... Take her to range and let her pick no matter which caliber... anything even small is better than whole lot of nothing

Post imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
    Take her to a range that rents pistols. "Rent the case" and let her try a bunch, and let her decide which one she likes the best.

It's far better to let her choose than for you to choose on her behalf. You can provide input and answer questions, but ultimately the decision needs to be hers.

And remember, as with any guy picking out a gun, there might be some "oh, cool" factor involved. She might just find one that really gets her excited, even if you don't particularly approve of the brand, the caliber, the color (pink, anyone?) or whatever.
    Mad is 100% correct on this....let her pick the pistol....even if its a caliber you wouldn't carry....because you want her to "carry" it all the time.

Post imported post

I agree with the Range Rental route. I would like to ofer this. My wife has the same issue of small hands as well as the fact she has difficulty with the slide on all my semi's (including my p-3AT). The pistol that she found most suitable was a S&W Mod 36 in .38 cal. Loaded with 125gr JHP's it is a good balance between so called "Stopping" power and managed recoil. All too often women that can't handle (or just don't like) recoil settle for a small pistol in .22LR and that's way too light to be effective. Maybe OK for a "pro" but not my choice for someone the ones we are discussing.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

While Mad, Shawn, and amlevin are promoting the best method, there is another route:
    1. Buy a handgun you think she might like
    2. Let her try it out
    3. If it's suitable, you're done; otherwise repeat from step 1
    Depending on your budget (both $$ and space in the gun safe) this method can work as well as the one they suggest.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

I have pretty small hands. I love my Walther PPS in 9mm with the small backstrap. It is also the thinnest gun available and very easy to conceal.

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    I agree with the Range Rental route.* I would like to ofer this.* My wife has the same issue of small hands as well as the fact she has difficulty with the slide on all my semi's (including my p-3AT).* The pistol that she found most suitable was a S&W Mod 36 in .38 cal.* Loaded with 125gr JHP's it is a good balance between so called "Stopping" power and managed recoil.* All too often women that can't handle (or just don't like) recoil settle for a small pistol in .22LR and that's way too light to be effective.* Maybe OK for a "pro" but not my choice for someone the ones we are discussing.*
    Very good advice. My Taurus 82 .38 spl shoots like a dream with 125gr JHP's. I would not hesitate to carry it if it was my only pistol.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Eeyore wrote:
    Can't help you with revolvers but Taurus PT-111 fits small hands well. Ditto for Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact.
    +1 on the PT-111

Post imported post

Thanks everyone, I'll check out some models and take her to a range with rental guns...I'll definately let her choose..even if its a pink one....

Post imported post

If you are in the Tacoma area let me know and she can handle the PT-111 I have. Its not something you'll find at either indoor range in the Tacoma area.

Post imported post

Thanks, unfortunately I live in Klickitat County

Post imported post

My wife has (along with her XD40 subcompact and Browning High Power) a Smith 5 shot .357 revolver. It is real small (3" barrel) and has a small grip. It's a model 60 Chiefs Special.

Post imported post

I would suggest a Kahr CW-9. It's got a pretty good grip for small hands, and it's inexpensive.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Another vote on rentals. My wife absolutly hates semi-autos. She has and carries an SP101 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel and is happy with it. Remember, SP101 is an all stainless gun and the weight helps with recoil. She has no problem shooting +P in it.

The are pretty stiff double action, I have gone to a reduced power spring set, makes it much smoother and easier for her.

Post imported post

Might as well throw my 2c in:

Hi-Point C9. Inexpensive & reliable and I don't need to plug the ubiquitous 9mm. My wife has very small hands, and she likes her C9 and shoots it well. Easier to aim than her Taurus 856 snubby. Only downside is, it's heavy.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

I'm really a big fan of my Beretta tomcat .32.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

Weave wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I'll check out some models and take her to a range with rental guns...I'll definately let her choose..even if its a pink one....
    Obviously, I approve of this route!

My wife did the same thing. I was expecting her to choose something smaller . . . lighter . . . "girlier" . . . but she surprised the hell out of me!

After shooting some smaller revolvers and 9mm semi-autos, she rented the XD 45ACP. Bam-bam-bam-bam, a full mag (10 rounds) in the black center of the target! She turned around and said to me, "That's my gun." End of story.

She now owns an XD45 Compact, and it's the only gun she's really interested in shooting.

So you never know . . . .

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

I've never seen my model guns for rent. (Walther PPS 9mm and Springfield XD-M .40) If anyone wants to try one out in the Kent area, drop me a line...

Post imported post

My 7 yo son can shoot my EMP and he doesn't have particularly large hands for his age.

It may be more money than you want to spend on a first gun and I don't think they come in pinkbut it's one of my favorites for carry.

Post imported post

Try the HK P2000, adjustable grips for different sized hands

Post imported post

911Boss wrote:
    My wife absolutly hates semi-autos.
    One thing to take into consideration is that Semi's are more "mechanical monsters" than revolvers. They are NOT for everyone. In many cases women do not understand that a semi-automatic pistol has to be gripped firmly or it wil fail to fully cycle. Then What? In my experience women like things to be simple (my wife says that's why she loves me). That just about makes the case for a revolver. Will fire shot after shot regardless of whether the previous shot was done so with a limp wrist. No safety to worry about. Double Action so you can just pull the trigger. Single action with a large hammer that is easier to cock than many semi's.

When a semi fails to fire due to a jam or stovepipe, count out the steps necessary to clear and continue fire. Magazines don't fall out of revolvers.

Don't get me wrong, I carry a Semi (Sig P-229) but my wife settled on a Mod 36 for all the reasons I pointed out.

For those that buy their wife or GF a gun without checking out what she can handle will probably end up with another gun for themselves.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

amlevinwrote:

...............For those that buy their wife or GF a gun without checking out what she can handle will probably end up with another gun for themselves.

I like this fact "ending up with another gun for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast