• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advie-gun for girlfriend-she has small hands

Weave

imported post

Ive been looking for a carry pistol for my girlfriend. She is a typical girlie girl with very small hands. My Bersa wasnt a good fit. I bought an LCP. Had a big kick (its so light) and the trigger pull is very long, she couldnt fire it accurately. I was thinking a .38 revolver perhaps a SP 101 witha 4 inch barrel? Any suggestions? Something simple and easy to fire for small hands.....

Cremator75

imported post

I think that revolver will kick more than the LCP. There is no spring to help with the recoil. Try the Kel-Tec P-32. It kicks less than the Kel-Tec P-3AT wanna be LCP. The .32 is still a better round to carry than nothing. My buddy has one and it is very controllable.

Mad Pick

imported post

Take her to a range that rents pistols. "Rent the case" and let her try a bunch, and let her decide which one she likes the best.

It's far better to let her choose than for you to choose on her behalf. You can provide input and answer questions, but ultimately the decision needs to be hers.

And remember, as with any guy picking out a gun, there might be some "oh, cool" factor involved. She might just find one that really gets her excited, even if you don't particularly approve of the brand, the caliber, the color (pink, anyone?) or whatever.

Manu

imported post

In my opinion stick with semi auto, revolvers will give more kick especially .38 spl with small barrel give more recoil than long barrel..... Take her to range and let her pick no matter which caliber... anything even small is better than whole lot of nothing

Article1section23

imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
Take her to a range that rents pistols. "Rent the case" and let her try a bunch, and let her decide which one she likes the best.

It's far better to let her choose than for you to choose on her behalf. You can provide input and answer questions, but ultimately the decision needs to be hers.

And remember, as with any guy picking out a gun, there might be some "oh, cool" factor involved. She might just find one that really gets her excited, even if you don't particularly approve of the brand, the caliber, the color (pink, anyone?) or whatever.
Mad is 100% correct on this....let her pick the pistol....even if its a caliber you wouldn't carry....because you want her to "carry" it all the time.

amlevin

imported post

I agree with the Range Rental route. I would like to ofer this. My wife has the same issue of small hands as well as the fact she has difficulty with the slide on all my semi's (including my p-3AT). The pistol that she found most suitable was a S&W Mod 36 in .38 cal. Loaded with 125gr JHP's it is a good balance between so called "Stopping" power and managed recoil. All too often women that can't handle (or just don't like) recoil settle for a small pistol in .22LR and that's way too light to be effective. Maybe OK for a "pro" but not my choice for someone the ones we are discussing.

kparker

imported post

While Mad, Shawn, and amlevin are promoting the best method, there is another route:
  1. Buy a handgun you think she might like
  2. Let her try it out
  3. If it's suitable, you're done; otherwise repeat from step 1
Depending on your budget (both $$ and space in the gun safe) this method can work as well as the one they suggest. :lol:

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
I agree with the Range Rental route.  I would like to ofer this.  My wife has the same issue of small hands as well as the fact she has difficulty with the slide on all my semi's (including my p-3AT).  The pistol that she found most suitable was a S&W Mod 36 in .38 cal.  Loaded with 125gr JHP's it is a good balance between so called "Stopping" power and managed recoil.  All too often women that can't handle (or just don't like) recoil settle for a small pistol in .22LR and that's way too light to be effective.  Maybe OK for a "pro" but not my choice for someone the ones we are discussing. 

Very good advice. My Taurus 82 .38 spl shoots like a dream with 125gr JHP's. I would not hesitate to carry it if it was my only pistol.

Weave

imported post

Thanks everyone, I'll check out some models and take her to a range with rental guns...I'll definately let her choose..even if its a pink one....

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

If you are in the Tacoma area let me know and she can handle the PT-111 I have. Its not something you'll find at either indoor range in the Tacoma area.

sirpuma

imported post

My wife has (along with her XD40 subcompact and Browning High Power) a Smith 5 shot .357 revolver. It is real small (3" barrel) and has a small grip. It's a model 60 Chiefs Special.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Another vote on rentals. My wife absolutly hates semi-autos. She has and carries an SP101 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel and is happy with it. Remember, SP101 is an all stainless gun and the weight helps with recoil. She has no problem shooting +P in it.

The are pretty stiff double action, I have gone to a reduced power spring set, makes it much smoother and easier for her.

Metalhead47

imported post

Might as well throw my 2c in:

Hi-Point C9. Inexpensive & reliable and I don't need to plug the ubiquitous 9mm. My wife has very small hands, and she likes her C9 and shoots it well. Easier to aim than her Taurus 856 snubby. Only downside is, it's heavy.

Mad Pick

imported post

Weave wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'll check out some models and take her to a range with rental guns...I'll definately let her choose..even if its a pink one....
Obviously, I approve of this route!

My wife did the same thing. I was expecting her to choose something smaller . . . lighter . . . "girlier" . . . but she surprised the hell out of me!

After shooting some smaller revolvers and 9mm semi-autos, she rented the XD 45ACP. Bam-bam-bam-bam, a full mag (10 rounds) in the black center of the target! She turned around and said to me, "That's my gun." End of story.

She now owns an XD45 Compact, and it's the only gun she's really interested in shooting.

So you never know . . . .