Thread: CPL "Safety Class"

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

Just wondering if anyone personally knows someone who teaches the class needed to apply for a CPL.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

I know a couple, although neither are near you.

If you are overly competent with laws, as all responsible Michigan OCers are, it is not a huge concern, and any CPL teacher will do. It only really matters to those who want to support good teachers, and those who are very new to carrying and want the best instruction possible.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I know of a place near Luddington.

Don't know how good it is, but I should be able to get the contact info.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

I have probably contacted the place in Ludington already. Something like the "Fan and Feather Club" or something to that effect. They are full for their next class and not doing another one until August.

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Wild West Academy and Mr. Cortis has set up a personal training day for me in Royal Oak. Hopefully I can have my CPL by the end of the month. (fingers crossed)
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
    I have probably contacted the place in Ludington already. Something like the "Fan and Feather Club" or something to that effect. They are full for their next class and not doing another one until August.

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Wild West Academy and Mr. Cortis has set up a personal training day for me in Royal Oak. Hopefully I can have my CPL by the end of the month. (fingers crossed)
    Yes, The Fin And Feather Club was the one I was referring to.

Good luck.

Post imported post

I know someone who personally teaches the classes: ME!
    I think I have a pretty good reputation, haven't heard any complaints(except from my "competition"). I've actually had students that have taken this course more than once, and have told me that they learned a lot more in my program, even though they are all an NRA course.
    I run at least one class a month, on the last Sunday ( or somewhere there abouts).
    I do one-on-one range instruction, provide a donuts breakfast and a lunch.
    I charge $125, includes everything unless I provide ammo.

Post imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:

I've got a guy in Sandusky MI, he'll do a one on one class, I'll PM you his information, might be a little bit closer than RO.

Post imported post

Hold off on any committment yet, Smitty, I will be 'raffling' off a couple of free CPL classes at the Open Carry picnic in Traverse City at the end of the month. My next CPL class is the next day.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
    Hold off on any committment yet, Smitty, I will be 'raffling' off a couple of free CPL classes at the Open Carry picnic in Traverse City at the end of the month. My next CPL class is the next day.
    He meant silent auction, we don't have a gaming license for a raffle.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Yeah, that's what I meant. If you noticed, raffle was in " " 's.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I meant. If you noticed, raffle was in " " 's.
    No I didn't notice, but it's all good baby!
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.