Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS 58 - Open carry controversy

Post imported post

[size= Just incase anyone hadn't heard it yet I figured it was on topic.

Open carry controversy

It all started with Attorney General JB Van Hollen's message that people in Wisconsin can carry guns openly, so long as they do it peacefully.

The state has an open carry law for firearms, but now city officials in South Milwaukee say business owners have the right to turn people away who are armed with guns.

Now the city of South Milwaukee is encouraging private business owners to put signs up if they do not want people to carry guns inside.

The council is considering an ordinance that would allow police to write tickets to violators.

Although the city has not received complaints from private business owners, they want them to be aware of their rights and give police enforcement power.][/size]
    City officials say they are not imposing any restrictions to the open carry law outside of the existing state laws.

It's qouted from:
    http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=7766

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

store owners should be aware of their rights... but to make a big deal out of it it just dumb.. its just the gov playing to the anti's to get them all riled up..

the funny thing is.. most people dont care about guns being around.. i would even say half don't even notice..

from the end of the video: they are working out how the signs will look..
    so they are going to design the sign themselves? that molehill must look HUGE to them :?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I think they will design the signs themselves. They already made a "No Firearms" sign that is available to business owners. Looks like I wont be doing any shopping at the "no firearms" places.

Ben

Banned

Post imported post

Don't shop there but make it a point to go in or call and tell the manager why you won't be shopping there.

Money Talks!

Post imported post

No complaints.................so why fix , what isn't broke?

Have a feeling ,this is one aldermans personal agenda.

Centurion

Post imported post

Don't shop there but make it a point to go in or call and tell the manager why you won't be shopping there.

Money Talks!
    Yup. Make a point of it.

These business people are going to find out real quick that no one is going to avoid there store just because a law-abiding citizen is open-carrying in there. But I think they'll be VERY surprised how many people are going to refuse to patronize an establishment that doesn't recognize the right of people to have a sidearm available to defend themselves.

Listening to the interview they did on TV with some lady who owns a bakery in south milwaukee, to me, just demonstrates one fo the things I love about the gun issue the most. It really separates the 'thinkers' from the 'feelers'. It really puts on display those who are so fearful that they can't even think logically.

This lady who had a bakery was on TV talking about how her bakery was broken into a while back at night and she said "I just couldn't imagine what would have happened if he had had a gun and we would have come in while he was still here"

I just can't believe the head-in-the-sand mentality like that. This guy was breaking and entering. Is this bakery owner SO naive to think that someone so willing to commit such a crime CHOSE to not have a gun with because it was against the law? What non-sense.

I wish for just one second fear-blinded folks like this would just imagine the rediculousness of a criminal who is going to go commit a violent crime saying "ah, better leave the gun at home, thats against the law"

Or better yet, that if someone was going to hold-up her store they'd see the "no guns allowed sign" and say "ah, better rob someplace else" wth is wrong with these people's brains?

I'll use the same analogy I used on "Sly in the Morning" interview: "That would be like bank-robbers deciding not to rob a bank because they'd get a parking ticket on the get-away car if they parked it out front."

Banned

Post imported post

Maybe picketing in front of their store would get their attention.

Just a thought.

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    Maybe picketing in front of their store would get their attention.

Just a thought.
    My bet is, that if one by one, all of us in the area start calling her and telling her we will not shop at her store because we do not feel safe, would get her to change her mind.

A small place like that getting 100 calls from people telling her she is not getting our money has got to change her thinking.

After she changes her mind, I think we should set up a day to go to her shop and spend a little cash, to show her that we care. When it makes the news that 20 people went to her store (with guns), as her friends, I also bet she does not get robbed for the rest of the year!

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar

Post imported post

Let them put no gun signs in their windows we won't be there we'll be at a business across or down the street that didn't post a no guns allowed sign. After being robbed a few times and seeing their neighbors go unmolested they will remove the signs it's happened elsewhere.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQ34JTqk0I

In the ashes burns an ember of liberty, We are the fuel to ignite the ember into a flame of liberty.

The embodiment of our founding fathers will not be found in one man , But in Many.

****** give it away ( Our rights ) prostitutes sell it (Mandated training).

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Can someone get a hold of the city attorney and ask them how on Gods green earth they actually think this doesn't violate the preemption statute?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Good question "B M'!

Post imported post

I dont, and wont shop in that CITY.

I ride motorcycles. When I heard that Kenosha is hitting loud pipes hard I decided that I would rather ride 100 miles out of my way to avoid that city than patronize it. If the shop keepers dont like it let them petition their government. I wont limit my disapproval just to those that post signs etc... I will avoid the entire city.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

This could end up being a big show for nothing. It still needs review two more times I think in order to go on the books per JSonline. I think while this baby goes through the slow process of the state's schedule they are hoping that other communities follow their lead.

Post imported post

smithman wrote:
    This could end up being a big show for nothing.
    ...But do we really want to let it get that far? I still think this is one aldermans personal agenda.

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    I dont, and wont shop in that CITY.

I ride motorcycles. When I heard that Kenosha is hitting loud pipes hard I decided that I would rather ride 100 miles out of my way to avoid that city than patronize it. If the shop keepers dont like it let them petition their government. I wont limit my disapproval just to those that post signs etc... I will avoid the entire city.
    Set off car alarms with that bike Eh? Mine too!!!

Post imported post

AaronS wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:

Set off car alarms with that bike Eh? Mine too!!!

Post imported post

When did the state pass an open carry law? Must have slipped under my radar. Oh, wait, they didn't. These news stories citing laws that don't exist are a perfect example of what gets reported is not always the real story. I amazed they didn't go all out and refer to "the state open carry law for licensed handgun owners."

Banned

Post imported post

Eric wrote:
    When did the state pass an open carry law? Must have slipped under my radar. Oh, wait, they didn't. These news stories citing laws that don't exist are a perfect example of what gets reported is not always the real story. I amazed they didn't go all out and refer to "the state open carry law for licensed handgun owners."
    must be irony, oh wait its not fiegned dumbness

Centurion

Post imported post

When I heard that Kenosha is hitting loud pipes hard I decided that I would rather ride 100 miles out of my way to avoid that city than patronize it.
    Sorry if I take exception to someone using the "right to rattle the windows on homes and businesses with their Harley" in parallel with the right to open carry.

Open carry infringes on noone elses rights while protecting your own.

As far as 'loud pipes' go, thats subjective, but no offense, i don't know how you ride your harley or how loud your pipes are, but I work downtown milwaukee and there are harleys that come sit at the stoplight on water street outside our office building and rev up the engine on the potato canon so loud that I literally can't hear the client I'm talking to on the phone for the 4 or 5 seconds until theyblat their way down the road. I don't think anyone has that "right".

I'm confident my openly carried sidearm has never woke someone up out of their sleep as I walked down their block, and I'm confident my sidearm has never interupted the conversation of someone I've been passing by.

I don't expect the world to open up and acquiesce to my every wish. I do expect that others (business and government) will allow me to go about my business doing things that have ABSOLUTELY NO affect on them.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The open carry law was enacted November 30, 1998. Article I section 25: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Banned

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    When I heard that Kenosha is hitting loud pipes hard I decided that I would rather ride 100 miles out of my way to avoid that city than patronize it.
    Sorry if I take exception to someone using the "right to rattle the windows on homes and businesses with their Harley" in parallel with the right to open carry.

Open carry infringes on noone elses rights while protecting your own.

As far as 'loud pipes' go, thats subjective, but no offense, i don't know how you ride your harley or how loud your pipes are, but I work downtown milwaukee and there are harleys that come sit at the stoplight on water street outside our office building and rev up the engine on the potato canon so loud that I literally can't hear the client I'm talking to on the phone for the 4 or 5 seconds until theyblat their way down the road. I don't think anyone has that "right".

I'm confident my openly carried sidearm has never woke someone up out of their sleep as I walked down their block, and I'm confident my sidearm has never interupted the conversation of someone I've been passing by.

I don't expect the world to open up and acquiesce to my every wish. I do expect that others (business and government) will allow me to go about my business doing things that have ABSOLUTELY NO affect on them.
    I own a Harley and I agree with you Nik. While loud pipes may save lives in some instances, they also wake me up when I am sleeping. Besides that they turn your bike into a cop magnet.

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:

It was not my intention to go off topic with the exhaust issue, only to show my resolve to not patronize a city that makes it a policy to profile.

Quick sidenote, loud pipes DO save lives. I am living proof.

Centurion

Post imported post

It was not my intention to go off topic with the exhaust issue
    Fair enough. I couldn't help myself. I'm a world-famous Harley insulter. (You've probably seen my picture on the internet for years) All in good fun of course.

(if I post it, I'll probably lose friends, but here goes)

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

HAHAHAHAHAHA, That's effing hilarious man!
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

if only you had yellow hair and a stuffed tiger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast