• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CBS 58 - Open carry controversy

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
When I heard that Kenosha is hitting loud pipes hard I decided that I would rather ride 100 miles out of my way to avoid that city than patronize it.
Sorry if I take exception to someone using the "right to rattle the windows on homes and businesses with their Harley" in parallel with the right to open carry.

Open carry infringes on noone elses rights while protecting your own.

As far as 'loud pipes' go, thats subjective, but no offense, i don't know how you ride your harley or how loud your pipes are, but I work downtown milwaukee and there are harleys that come sit at the stoplight on water street outside our office building and rev up the engine on the potato canon so loud that I literally can't hear the client I'm talking to on the phone for the 4 or 5 seconds until theyblat their way down the road. I don't think anyone has that "right".

I'm confident my openly carried sidearm has never woke someone up out of their sleep as I walked down their block, and I'm confident my sidearm has never interupted the conversation of someone I've been passing by.

I don't expect the world to open up and acquiesce to my every wish. I do expect that others (business and government) will allow me to go about my business doing things that have ABSOLUTELY NO affect on them.
I own a Harley and I agree with you Nik. While loud pipes may save lives in some instances, they also wake me up when I am sleeping.:cuss: Besides that they turn your bike into a cop magnet.

bigdaddy1

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Sorry if I take exception to someone using the "right to rattle the windows on homes and businesses with their Harley" in parallel with the right to open carry.

It was not my intention to go off topic with the exhaust issue, only to show my resolve to not patronize a city that makes it a policy to profile.

Quick sidenote, loud pipes DO save lives. I am living proof.:dude:

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

It was not my intention to go off topic with the exhaust issue
Fair enough. I couldn't help myself. I'm a world-famous Harley insulter. (You've probably seen my picture on the internet for years) All in good fun of course. ;)

(if I post it, I'll probably lose friends, but here goes) ;)

comp45acp

imported post

Lammie wrote:
The open carry law was enacted November 30, 1998. Article I section 25: The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

The open carry law was enacted around 1880 and it is941.23. It was enacted by legislature to ban concealed carry. The legislators at the time obviously felt that if citizens were going to carry firearms they should display them openly.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Com45acp;

Emphically you are correct. The concealed weapon prohibition statute 941.23 was encacted in 1872. It was enacted not as an endorsement for open carry but as a measure of safety for law enforcement. It promoted open carry by default.

Article I section 25 is the first law (constitutional law) that specifically endorses open carry because open carryis the only means by which a person can legally exercise the activities contained in the amendment.

But we shouldn't split hairs over this issue. The important thing is that there is no question that open carry of firearm by the general public is lawful in Wisconsin and we are going to have to fight hard to keep it that way.

AaronS

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Fair enough. I couldn't help myself. I'm a world-famous Harley insulter. (You've probably seen my picture on the internet for years) All in good fun of course. ;)

Hey big guy:cuss:

I would do the same to Honda, but I would have to ride to far! (down south(USA))... My wifes Dad is a Honda GoldWing Nut... Nice ride. Nice club. Not for me I guess...

I hate GLOCK!;)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:

Ok Nik, we all see that you are obviously saying a prayer in front of the Harley sign.
It is ok to be humbled sometimes, And even though you ride a Honda I would still OC with ya! :D

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I'll even promise not to go out of 1st gear so we'll get there at the same time. :)
HA! i have a honda (81 silverwing) first bike and just got my license..
seeing that you have a crotch rocket you probably would have to!