Thread: Open carry movement causes Kitsup Sun Editorial Board to call for repeal of all illegal gun bans

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/j...-parks-gun-ban

OUR VIEW | County Should Drop Its Parks Gun Ban

Few issues are more closely scrutinized or passionately debated than gun ownership laws. That's understandable — many would say imperative — because gun-related regulatory decisions can impact constitutional rights, public safety and the committing of violent crimes.
    Above all, there should be absolute clarity about gun-related laws on the books, and about law officers' enforcement of them.

Because of that, Kitsap County's disorderly ambivalence about one of its own gun regulations seems deplorable.

On Sunday, local members of the Open Carry Movement held a gun-packin' protest picnic at Silverdale Waterfront Park, a county park. Attendees openly carried handguns, in flagrant violation of posted regulations prohibiting firearms at the park. And Kitsap County Sheriff's deputies were on hand, in part to explain to others in the public why they weren't enforcing the park's posted gun ban.

Organizers of the event said because the local regulation is superseded by state law, they have a legal right to carry firearms in county parks, the county law is unenforceable, and it should be changed.

A majority of our editorial board agrees. Without addressing the broader issues of gun ownership and regulation, we feel the county should drop its gun ban in parks to bring clarity to how our law enforcement will do their jobs.

State law allows the open carrying of firearms, and specifically preempts and prohibits local ordinances that are more restrictive than the state's. Kitsap County not only has left its parks gun ban on the books, but continues to leave it publicly posted with other park regulations. Because the law isn't practically enforceable, county deputies appear to be showing disregard for the county's own law in public — and sending a muddied message to gun owners about what will be tolerated.

As one editorial board member said, "Gun laws aren't the type I want people to be guessing about."

This awkwardly conflicted situation also could leave some people wondering what others laws can be ignored.

With the peak season for park attendance upon us, county officials should immediately remove their parks' firearms ban, bringing them into conformity with state law. Leaving the invalid law in force and publicly posted it is an injustice, both to the public and to officers who are sworn to uphold the laws of Kitsap County.

Post imported post

My Hat is off to those who support and participated in this gathering in Silverdale, WA.

I am in the process still dealing with Yakima City and County on their Ordinances Prohibiting Firearms in Parks and Festivals.

Great Work bringing this to the forefront, keep up your good work.

Big Dave from www.Packing4life.com
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Good article and good job by open carriers. Dave maybe we need to have a large gathering at a Yakima park. We could invite some Oregon and Idaho guys to come too. Or even better anyone from across the country.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

You should read the comments...One guy wanted us all arrested, to have our day in court. I would venture a guess that he would be the first one complaining when we all got payment from the county for our troubles, not to mention false arrest, false imprisonment and violating our rights...

Post imported post

I would be all for a get together anywhere in the Yakima Valley area. From the Tri Cities to Ellensburg, count me in!!!

Post imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
    You should read the comments...One guy wanted us all arrested, to have our day in court. I would venture a guess that he would be the first one complaining when we all got payment from the county for our troubles, not to mention false arrest, false imprisonment and violating our rights...
    I read that comment too and got more of a "Hey Kitsap County...put up or shut up" feel from it....not that he WANTED us to get arrested.

Sorta telling KC "I'm hearing a lot of big talk there mister, but I don't see you doin' much about it. If you think you're so 'right' in banning guns, ENFORCE IT...and see just how hard you really DO get slapped!".

Post imported post

Good job guys, to all of you.

Post imported post

As a Washington blood brother born and raised (Kennewick)till Uncle Sam took me away 12 years ago. I'm humbled to read this article. I'm glad to know that not all of WA has gone down the tubes and great people still live there. Keep up the fight and good work.

I will make my first trip back to seethe familythe end of July, as its been 2 years sense my lasttrip homeand you can guarantee the wife and I will be armed.:celebrate
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Post imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
    I think this would be a great idea and know a great area here for such an event, covered shelter tables and bbq pits.

I will try and get in contact with the Chief of Police and see where he stands on this issue, but a similar event you guys did in Silverdale would be great.

If I can be of any help or be a point of contact let me know.

As some of you know I run Packing4Life as well and can be contacted easily through emails to bigdave@packing4life.com

Dave
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    Sorta telling KC "I'm hearing a lot of big talk there mister, but I don't see you doin' much about it. If you think you're so 'right' in banning guns, ENFORCE IT...and see just how hard you really DO get slapped!".
    Might have misread it... :-/

Post imported post

Perhaps one should contact the KC board and point out RCW 9A.80.010.

Maybe that'll light a fire under their....burro.

Post imported post

Hey, I wanna go! I'm in Port Orchard and I ride to Yakima all the time. Count me in! I'm available any day except yesterdays!

Post imported post

Yeah!!! New member!!! Welcome aboard Squeak.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

Thanks! Saw the notice of the gathering in the paper and decided to 'crash' the party and see what is happenin'. Here in Kitsap, some of the legal stuff ain't exactly legal, if you get my drift!

Post imported post

anybody notice the abnormal amount of new guys.....perhaps a side affect of our picnic

Post imported post

I am actually the result of last years Kitsao Picnic. Many people know what I do, iand I found about it at work. Decided to join..

Post imported post

I actually live 2 mi. from the LL park. Wish I'da known then. That's O.K. tho'. Met some really nice people. Yeah, some Jarhead that has nice parents!!He learned very fast that you don't mess with a Sgt Maj!!

Moderator / Administrator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Mike wrote: Why would anyone need a gun in church?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10481816

Post imported post

I am not a particularly a religeous man. But Luke 22:36 is an appropiate scripture.

http://bible.cc/luke/22-36.htm

Post imported post

Ok Sgt. Major.....I guess we just throw our rank around with our last name so that we sound important....noted:P....good to see you on the board.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Mike wrote: The problem with this is it's all "show" and no "go".

They will be inspecting guns at the door and they must be unloaded. As far as I am concerned an empty gun carries an empty message and is of little use since I don't practice throwing mine at things.

Effectively the minister is saying guns are your right and we trust you, we just don't trust you with bullets.

Church is one of my ALWAYS carry locations (although I do conceal). I trust the folks there as much or more as anywhere, I just don't know who might come calling to offer a different "message".

Post imported post

sempercarry wrote:
    anybody notice the abnormal amount of new guys.....perhaps a side affect of our picnic
    hehe - Yeah, me too <raises hand as anew guy> . Was searching for some legal this-or-that and stumbled (quite by accident) on to the open carry laws and then opencarry.org. I read about the pinicks too, and realised the strong growth of this group. I was very impressed and elated. Always wanted to open carry, but always been very concerned about the possible consequences, nuances of the law, etc. I strongly believe in ones ability to do so, and i am enthusiastically watching to see how this all develops.I suppose when my personal comfort level strengthens i'll strap on "Sparky" (1911 combat commander) and go th the store =D I honestly did NOT know for fact that WA State was infact a legit OC-State until recently. I had heard it was, but felt it wasnt clear. Been here 10 years now (dropped off by uncle sam) and love it. I am really glad to have found a forum that supports this effort.

ty guys, a commendable cause.

Bat

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

sempercarry wrote:
    Ok Sgt. Major.....I guess we just throw our rank around with our last name so that we sound important....noted:P....good to see you on the board.
    I was wondering when I would get a reaction from you! I'm really not important, but if you say so......................