• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry movement causes Kitsup Sun Editorial Board to call for repeal of all illegal gun bans

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jun/02/our-view-county-should-drop-its-parks-gun-ban

OUR VIEW | County Should Drop Its Parks Gun Ban

Few issues are more closely scrutinized or passionately debated than gun ownership laws. That's understandable — many would say imperative — because gun-related regulatory decisions can impact constitutional rights, public safety and the committing of violent crimes.
Above all, there should be absolute clarity about gun-related laws on the books, and about law officers' enforcement of them.

Because of that, Kitsap County's disorderly ambivalence about one of its own gun regulations seems deplorable.

On Sunday, local members of the Open Carry Movement held a gun-packin' protest picnic at Silverdale Waterfront Park, a county park. Attendees openly carried handguns, in flagrant violation of posted regulations prohibiting firearms at the park. And Kitsap County Sheriff's deputies were on hand, in part to explain to others in the public why they weren't enforcing the park's posted gun ban.

Organizers of the event said because the local regulation is superseded by state law, they have a legal right to carry firearms in county parks, the county law is unenforceable, and it should be changed.

A majority of our editorial board agrees. Without addressing the broader issues of gun ownership and regulation, we feel the county should drop its gun ban in parks to bring clarity to how our law enforcement will do their jobs.

State law allows the open carrying of firearms, and specifically preempts and prohibits local ordinances that are more restrictive than the state's. Kitsap County not only has left its parks gun ban on the books, but continues to leave it publicly posted with other park regulations. Because the law isn't practically enforceable, county deputies appear to be showing disregard for the county's own law in public — and sending a muddied message to gun owners about what will be tolerated.

As one editorial board member said, "Gun laws aren't the type I want people to be guessing about."

This awkwardly conflicted situation also could leave some people wondering what others laws can be ignored.

With the peak season for park attendance upon us, county officials should immediately remove their parks' firearms ban, bringing them into conformity with state law. Leaving the invalid law in force and publicly posted it is an injustice, both to the public and to officers who are sworn to uphold the laws of Kitsap County.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My Hat is off to those who support and participated in this gathering in Silverdale, WA.

I am in the process still dealing with Yakima City and County on their Ordinances Prohibiting Firearms in Parks and Festivals.

Great Work bringing this to the forefront, keep up your good work.

Big Dave from www.Packing4life.com

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good article and good job by open carriers. Dave maybe we need to have a large gathering at a Yakima park. We could invite some Oregon and Idaho guys to come too. Or even better anyone from across the country.

MadHatter66

imported post

You should read the comments...One guy wanted us all arrested, to have our day in court. I would venture a guess that he would be the first one complaining when we all got payment from the county for our troubles, not to mention false arrest, false imprisonment and violating our rights...

Phssthpok

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
You should read the comments...One guy wanted us all arrested, to have our day in court. I would venture a guess that he would be the first one complaining when we all got payment from the county for our troubles, not to mention false arrest, false imprisonment and violating our rights...

I read that comment too and got more of a "Hey Kitsap County...put up or shut up" feel from it....not that he WANTED us to get arrested.

Sorta telling KC "I'm hearing a lot of big talk there mister, but I don't see you doin' much about it. If you think you're so 'right' in banning guns, ENFORCE IT...and see just how hard you really DO get slapped!".

Bullbuster

imported post

As a Washington blood brother born and raised (Kennewick)till Uncle Sam took me away 12 years ago. I'm humbled to read this article. I'm glad to know that not all of WA has gone down the tubes and great people still live there. Keep up the fight and good work.

I will make my first trip back to seethe familythe end of July, as its been 2 years sense my lasttrip homeand you can guarantee the wife and I will be armed.:celebrate

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
I think this would be a great idea and know a great area here for such an event, covered shelter tables and bbq pits.

I will try and get in contact with the Chief of Police and see where he stands on this issue, but a similar event you guys did in Silverdale would be great.

If I can be of any help or be a point of contact let me know.

As some of you know I run Packing4Life as well and can be contacted easily through emails to bigdave@packing4life.com

Dave

Squeak

imported post

Hey, I wanna go! I'm in Port Orchard and I ride to Yakima all the time. Count me in! I'm available any day except yesterdays!

Squeak

imported post

Thanks! Saw the notice of the gathering in the paper and decided to 'crash' the party and see what is happenin'. Here in Kitsap, some of the legal stuff ain't exactly legal, if you get my drift!

sempercarry

imported post

anybody notice the abnormal amount of new guys.....perhaps a side affect of our picnic:D

Squeak

imported post

I actually live 2 mi. from the LL park. Wish I'da known then. That's O.K. tho'. Met some really nice people. Yeah, some Jarhead that has nice parents!!:lol:He learned very fast that you don't mess with a Sgt Maj!!