• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Fond du Lac

Stoney-Point

imported post

OC'd at Fleet Farm yesterday again....this time I had some things to return. So I was a little more nervous about going right up the the front desk.

My black kydex holster and the Kimber in itwere plainly visible against my tan pants and light yellow shirt...yet not one person...not even the manager who was helping the guy next to me, said a word.

In addition, I received this letter from the FdL DA's office. Sounds like he won't prosecute (within reason).

Can't figure out how to post the actual .pdf...anybody wanna do it for me?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Does he discourage the police from carrying a loaded weapon in public also?

I mean lets start there?

I'm consitently amazed how government officials have little to no grasp of several things. 1st, what our founding fathers intended by enumerating such an important right. 2nd, the philosophy that people have a right to protect themselves and the value to the PUBLIC in law-abiding citizens going armed, and 3rd, that they would discourage people from exercisinga right the people of wisconsin overwhelmingly voted into our state constitution.

Its akin to them saying "look, we know you have the right to vote, but I would discourage you from voting" or "you have the right to free speech, but I strongly discourage you from speaking about things that not everyone is in agreement upon.

Its shocking, but I think it does represent the 2-class social order we have in this country. The "government class" and the rest of us.

Stoney-Point

imported post

Here is the original e-mail I sent to the DA's office

Ms Neubauer,

Regarding J.B. Van Hollen's April 20'th Advisory Memorandum

The Interplay Between Article I, § 25 Of The Wisconsin Constitution, The Open Carry Of Firearms And Wisconsin’s Disorderly Conduct Statute, Wis. Stat. § 947.01

The Attorney General's opinion is that of the act of openly carrying a holstered handgun is not, in itself, grounds for a "disorderly conduct" citation. What is the opinion of Fond du Lac County's District Attorney Daniel Kaminsky?

And along those same lines, what are the opinions of both Sheriff Mylan C. Fink Jr., and Fond du Lac Police Chief Tony Barthuly?

If a person were to openly wear a handgun, in a holster in a public area ( not an establishment that serves alcohol, school, or Government building), what repercussions would be involved? If the handgun were to never be removed from the holster, what are the procedures that the law enforcement officers be required to do?

Given the two recent cases involving Brad Krause and Jesus Gonzales and the pending lawsuits, have there been any memorandums to the LEO's informing them of individual's rights regarding open carry?

I look forward to your responses to these questions.

Stoney-Point

xxx xxxxxxx Ave

Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Y'all have seen the .pdf above with their reply....

Here is my reply to their reply...

Ms. Neubauer,

This e-mail is in reply to the letter your office dated May 28, 2009.

In the letter, the DA states that... "While open carry is a right, it is not a prudent course of conduct under most circumstances. I would also discourage anyone from carrying a loaded weapon in public."

My question is simply, if it is a right, how can exercising my right be discouraged from one who was elected to protect my rights? Or is it the DA's position to selectively choose which rights he/she wished to protect?

How can this right, given to me by both State and US Constitution, be any different than, let's say the right to vote or the right to free speech?

Sincerely,

Stoney-Point

XXX XXXXXXAve

Fond du Lac, WI 54935

I'll keep posting the interplay between us.

To be continued...

xdfan83

imported post

I was in Fond Du Lac this afternoon. I carried into Dutch's Trading Post where I also dropped off some open carry flyers. No issues at all. We then stopped at a gas station at the corner of Johnson and Main. Carried while pumping gas and inside paying and getting a soda. Tons of cars drove by and im sure some of them had to notice. No issues what so ever either place.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Stoney-Point wrote:
Got this in the mail last week from the FdL Sheriff.

Still waiting for the City Police Chif to respond.
Do you think he received your first email or just the second email? If he didn't get the first one I could see where he might think the email was "open-ended".

Stoney-Point

imported post

This was the e-mail I sent the Sheriff

Sheriff Fink,

As you are aware, Wisconsin's constitution grants the people the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. Both the State Supreme Court and Governor Doyle have stated that as concealed carry is currently illegal in Wisconsin, open carry is the only means available to the citizens as a way of exercising this right.

I am writing you directly for clarification concerning enforcement as it pertains to Wisconsin's constitutional right to bear arms, instead of relying on the rumor mill.

My concern is specifically how the department will respond should they receive a "man with a gun" call should an uninformed citizen contact your department regarding me exercising my right to bear arms. I understand how such a call must be investigated, but I am looking for some assurance that I would not be charged with a crime, such as disorderly conduct, having violated no law.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and I look forward to your reply.

Stoney-Point

XXX XXXXXXX

Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ah, I see... I didn't realize you mailed that directly, I thought Ms. Neubauer forwarded the email to the Sheriff. I don't know what part of your letter to him would be considered "somewhat open-ended"...

xdfan83

imported post

My thought on sending letter to local sheriffs and police chiefs is that it issomewhat pointless. At first I thought this was the right way to go about getting started open carrying but after doing some thinking I decided it didn't matter what the leo's would reply in a letter. I know that it is perfectly legal to carry openly so I will continue to do so until the law changes. I have been carrying just about everywhere I go and have had no problems what so ever. I don't even get nervous at all anymore when I am out and about. I encourage everyone to try it. It feels really good to know you can defend yourself if needed.