• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Williamsburg?

DaveInPA

imported post

My fiance and I are going to Williamsburg for a weekend in October. I'm wondering if anyone has OC'ed in Williamsburg, and if you'd have any problems. I want to OC so that I don't run the risk of walking into a place that serves alcohol while CCing, which as I understand it, is illegal.

hsmith

imported post

DaveInPA wrote:
My fiance and I are going to Williamsburg for a weekend in October. I'm wondering if anyone has OC'ed in Williamsburg, and if you'd have any problems. I want to OC so that I don't run the risk of walking into a place that serves alcohol while CCing, which as I understand it, is illegal.

There are a few threads about it, check this google search for the forums http://tinyurl.com/rba3vq

Biggest thing you have to watch for is the expressway is a national park AFAIK

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Biggest thing you have to watch for is the expressway is a national park AFAIK

Are you referring to the Colonial Parkway?

Also get a really good map (topo is best for this)if you are going to be going outside the City/Colonial Williamsburg limits towards Jamestown or Yorktown - lots of NPS areas and military bases there that you might find yourself in without realizing it until you are there. Signs do not indicate the actual boundaries.

Also be aware that William & Mary does not allow guns - even though it is a state university without authority from the General Assembly to make that decision. Sidewalks along the public streets are OK, even though you will probably get :X& :shock:& :cry:& :uhoh:& :what:more than ;)or :Dor :celebrate.

Book a reservation for a meal at one of the CW taverns/restaurants. They are familiar with the requirement to OC and the W&M students who make up the majority of waitstaff are good historical reinactors. Be sure to stop by the Blacksmith Shop, the Magazine & Guardhouse, and the Redcoats on paradeand talk guns with them. http://www.history.org/visit/images/historic_area_map.pdf Be pprepared for the Redcoats to tell you that while it is legal for you to carry they don't like it.

stay safe.

skidmark

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Well-put, Skidmark. I live in Yorktown and I think you about summed the area up rather nicely. Perhaps you should get a job in Public Affairs in Colonial Williamsburg!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
I posted this originally on PDO after it happened.

Summer of 2002

The girlfriend, (now wifey) and I decided we wanted to have a long weekend away from the hustle and bustle of NOVA and relax. Being a colonial history buff I wanted to travel down to Historic Williamsburg and give her a guided tour as she had never been. Being as it was going to be a bit of a drive for us, and as I had recently been indoctrinatedinto the whole OC experience, I wanted to see if this would be a location I could open carry at. An extensive look at their website did not net me any information as to permitted or restricted, so I decided to try my luck and ask once I got down there.

On Saturday morning we left our hotel room and with Glock secured to my holster and on my belt, we drove to Colonial Williamsburg. We headed into town and first came to the blacksmiths shop. The smithy was busy pounding away at a piece of iron and chatting with only 2 other tourists who seemed to only have a passing interest in his work. I walked over to him and asked him for a moment of his time, which he was only too happy to give me. In a low voice I said I was legally carrying a firearm but wasn't sure of Williamsburgs policy and could he tell me if it was allowed or forbidden. In a tone twice as loud as I had, he answered me. I'll try to recall his response as best as I can:

That good sir is one of the important questions now being asked by the brave men of the Continental congress. Should we as free men and women be allowed to carry arms and armament to protect the very vestment of the good lord, namely that of life and liberty. Do we have the right to protect our lands and lives against a tyrant and his army which care not for our safety and our children, but only for coins to be placed in his coffers. Nay good sir, stay your pistol upon your person and be ready to answer the call to fight not only for freedom and liberty, but for our homes and for principal'

Needless to say, I was smiling from ear to ear. I would have excepted a simple cite allowed but the smithy went all out to answer a question and to weave it into a historical context. It was to date the SECOND best response I had ever had. The FIRST best came an hour after the experience with the smithy.

We were walking down the main street, looking at various arts and crafts being offered (her idea) and enjoying the scenery. I got a glance or two with the Glock 17 on my waist, but mostly we were ignored. Ahead we saw a squad of British soldiers marching up the street and being led by a Major who was dressed to the nines. As they got close, one of the conscripts in the middle pointed over to me and proclaimed loudly, Sir! That colonial is armed, shall we detain? The Major stopped the squad and looked at me. Again, I'll try and recall his response as best I can. While slowly walking towards me, he announced:

No Mister Danvers, while his majesty has proclaimed that any possession of pistol or musket is forbade and forbidden, these rabble pose no serious threat to either King nor Crown. For these colonist to believe they could ever stand up to the might of his Majesty's fine fighting men would be madness and that of sheer folly. No. . .we will allow this one to keep his pistol. The Major then leaned in very close to me, so that only I could hear him and whispered to me For now.

He then walked back to the front of the squad and marched them along back down the street.

We've gone back since then, but never got quite the same response as we did the first time.
:)

usaf0906

imported post

i think it would be really fun to get a group together to go walk around colonial williamsburg. maybe we can corner us some red coats.:dude:

grylnsmn

Well, the wife and I are planning to head down to Williamsburg for the day tomorrow. (We have passes that will expire at the end of the month, and might as well get one more use out of them.) I plan to OC my 1911 the whole day, and I don't expect any problems, with one possible exception.

According to one news story I just read, the Obamas have a trip to Colonial Williamsburg scheduled for this weekend (unless it is canceled because of the budget negotiations). I know that the local and state police are good about open carry, but the Secret Service might get a little jumpy.

Any advice?

DJEEPER

regardless of whether or not the usurper would be here... i would still open carry.

I was planning on OC'ing my fun gun this weekend.

t33j

Ya a couple of guys were OCing outside the building when Obama came to Norfolk. No problems...

MSC 45ACP

regardless of whether or not the usurper would be here... i would still open carry.

I was planning on OC'ing my fun gun this weekend.

Would that be the .223 cal hand cannon?
I'd like to join you on your stroll around town if you don't mind the company. I haven't seen any really good "Geico Eyes" lately. Should be fun.

DJEEPER

Would that be the .223 cal hand cannon?
I'd like to join you on your stroll around town if you don't mind the company. I haven't seen any really good "Geico Eyes" lately. Should be fun.

haha, thats the one!

I dont mind the company. When it starts warming up some, i will be taking some strolls around, im sure.

grylnsmn

Well, the wife, son and I will be there in another hour or so. If anyonesees a guy wandering around with a 1911 and a baseball cap that says "punk", that's me.

sidestreet

The reply from Ed using ChinChin's quote...,

is one of my all time favorite posts, anywhere!!!!!!
+1000

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, the wife, son and I will be there in another hour or so. If anyonesees a guy wandering around with a 1911 and a baseball cap that says "punk", that's me.

The 1911 isn't a problem but the hat may raise some eyebrows.
Do like the rest of the tourists and buy one of those three corner hats.:lol: