• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you OC at the Fairfax Fair?

USDM

imported post

Is open carry an option at the Fairfax Fair this weekend?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

USDM wrote:
Is open carry an option at the Fairfax Fair this weekend?
Are you asking if Fairfax County is OK with you OCing or if it not forbidden by law?

Paging Ed, Paging Leo229, Paging ....

stay safe.

skidmark

Jonesy

TexasNative

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
Not to be a pain, but can you give us some kind of cite indicating CC is ok for Banquet Special Event?
Kinda like Open Carry, CC for a Banquet Special Event is okay because it's not prohibited.

For the record, though, the pertinent section of Code dealing with CC in clubs and restaurants is § 18.2-308.J3 (scroll down to get to J3):

No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
~ Boyd

bdodds

imported post

no, but i can deductively reason it as such:

VA code 18.2-308 J3 states that CC is forbidden "onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia;"

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

VA code 4.1-100 defines restaurant and club retail licensees:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-100

Celebrate Fairfax! has a Banquet license per the above link, and didn't show up under Restaurant or Club license searches, which are the two license types explicitly listed as prohibited to concealed carry.

I know you're asking for something concrete in the reverse, but I don't have that cite, nor have I found it to exist.

bdodds

imported post

ed wrote:
bdodds wrote:
I know you're asking for something concrete in the reverse, but I don't have that cite, nor have I found it to exist. 
Laws tell you what you CAN'T do, not what you CAN do.

Understood, but I could cite a court decision that backs the stated opinion, but I was unable to find any..

TexasNative

imported post

bdodds wrote:
Understood, but I could cite a court decision that backs the stated opinion, but I was unable to find any..
I'm not sure what you're looking for with this. There's no law prohibiting CC in that type of venue, so there won't be a court case saying that it's allowed. Well, someone could screw up and charge something that doesn't exist, but that really doesn't happen all that often.

For example, is there Virginia case law that says open carry is legal? I don't know one way or the other, but I don't recall ever seeing it cited here.

~ Boyd

bdodds

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for with this. There's no law prohibiting CC in that type of venue, so there won't be a court case saying that it's allowed. Well, someone could screw up and charge something that doesn't exist, but that really doesn't happen all that often.

For example, is there Virginia case law that says open carry is legal? I don't know one way or the other, but I don't recall ever seeing it cited here.

~ Boyd

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but it is conceivable that there is something, somewhere, that's all. I didn't expect to find anything one way or another, I just know how people get around here about citing so i wanted some CYA research. :)

edit: maybe not anything as formal as a court decision, but something like a news article where someone was detained for it and then released once they determined that the ABC license wasn't one of the regulated ones, something along those lines. Even anecdotal, anything to support it other than the lack of prohibition.

TexasNative

imported post

I think reading the law, as linked and quoted above, will tell you what you need to know. It's pretty clear about the concealed carry prohibition applying to clubs and restaurants, even with definitions and such.

~ Boyd