Thread: Island Transit latest update

Post imported post

This is the latest letter from the exeutive director of Island Transit. I won't put all of it here as it does not pertain to the topic, it's just dialogue between her and I. Quotation marks are hers.

Here is the letter.

:PYou are also correct that I left out the word "firearm" but I can assure you, that was not intentional what so ever. It was truly a goof on my part.

I believe that perhaps I have also somewhat "missed" the boat as well by not simply stating that people do,indeed, have a right to carry a firearm, etc. etc. on transit properties.And, as I know you understand more clearly than I that RCW 9.1.270 limits a person from exhibiting a firearm in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

As well, you're also correct that we did use the words "is not otherwise authorized by law". I have scratched my head perplexed ever since you pointed that out to me. We are not the only transit system that has used those words in our documents, as several agencies developed consistent bus conduct policies and we each used our attorney's to develope the language. I have contacted several of them and have pointed out our error. We have already corrected our documents, and have already contacted several of the other systems to alert them of this error or flop or whatever it might be called. I heartily thank you for alerting us to this problem!!

:celebrateThe way I read her letter it looks as though we won another one. I'm probably in trouble with those attorneys since I corrected them, however I would bet my last dollar they knew exactly what they were saying.

Have a nice day to all.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Yeah!!! Another step in the right direction. I am proud of the gun owners in this state. Good job!!!!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Huh? They write "is not otherwise authorized by law" when they meant "is not otherwise prohibited by law"? Wow, somebody was really lacking in lawyer-foo that day!

Post imported post

Maybe so, but be prepared that if you get on a bus with the wrong driver he's probably gonna call in and make a stink. I might suggest staying on IT's case and making sure they disseminate this decision down to their drivers & dispatch staff.

I got Community Transit's "official" policy somewhat clarified on the subject. Like most things it's at the discretion of the driver but we're "supposed" to call in an "unusual" event like that. Doesn't always happen tho :quirky
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm still waiting back on a reply from Island Transit where they specifically tell me they understand OC is legal. It's the only way. Have a letter from their director stating that. Then you can wave it around to supervisors and operators. I have one from Intercity Transit.