• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My CCP adventure begins

chiefjason

imported post

I had my CCP class last Sat. A marathon of a class. Figured I would show the obligatory target pic. :D This is the second 50 rd target. The other one looked a lot like this one. Might be jerking the trigger just a bit, but this will get the job done.

IMG_0948.jpg

Now I have to deal with the beaurocrats! Took my certificate to the sheriff on Tue. They gave me more paperwork to take home and told me they would call me to set up the appointment. I don't particularly like the sound of that. Seems I will have to make 3 trips more than half was across the county before this is over. Every other county around me you make the appointment to do the fingerprinting and paperwork, then go back to get your permit. Seems Burke County is a bit harder to deal with than I expected. We'll see what happens. Wonder if carrying a copy of my certificate will help if I get questioned for OC'ing? :lol:

Racer X

imported post

Nice shooting there. I wish I could say my qualifying target looked that good, but our instructor was making us do multiple timed shots starting with the gun laying on the table and hands by our side or at a low ready position. It was a little nerve racking for the first few scenarios since I hadn't practiced quick firing from either position. I think I was the only one in the classusing a sub-compact which seemed to make it a little more difficult to grab off the table and make sure my hands were set right before squeezing off a round. I'm glad I got to qualify that way, though as it did make me a lot more confident that I could actually put my gun on target quickly. Good luck getting an appointment. I just finished with mine earlier this week and I'm now settled in for the 3 month wait until my permit is approved.

chiefjason

imported post

Racer, that sounds similar to what my instructor did. He would tell us to load x number of bullets, lay the gun on the table, fire x number and return gun to ready by our chest. It made for really good practice. It was a little nervous on the first 50, but on that one I was shooting better. We did a few rounds with 5 shells loaded, shoot 2 and return, shoot 2 and return, shoot one and return. Really had to focus on manipulating the safety and trigger finger placement. The last 10 rounds were 2 sessions of 5 shots at 7 yrds as fast as you can shoot. Picked up most of my fliers there. I'm still waiting on my phone call. Gonna call Monday if I don't hear from them this week.

Racer X

imported post

Yea...that is pretty much how we qualified to, but we only had to do 40 rounds. It sounds like you guys shot 100?! We were broken up into 2 groups and my group shot first while the other watched. I think I would have done much better being in the second group and being able to see someone do it first. My cousin was in the second group and she said she felt much better about doing it after she watched us. A friend of ours did very well and she said counting down the seconds as she was firing each round helped her. I was just rushing a little. I had one low stray shot that I wasn't happy about, but other than that not too bad. My friend and I are looking into taking a more advanced defensive shooting class soon. He is a little faster at reseting between shots than I am, so I'm off to hunt down some practice ammo.

chiefjason

imported post

Yeah, 100 rds total. Would have been 150 but class ran long, then we had some problems with guns on the range. It was all or nothing so either the line was Hot and we were shooting or we were waiting while the problem was addressed. Good news is I have another 50 rds I can take to the range later! I was a little worried about having to buy 150 rds but Iwas very satisfied with the instruction. I'm kicking around the idea of a more advanced class as well. Gonna have to wait a few months though.

chiefjason

imported post

Pagan, have not heard that, but I guess anything is possible. Someone mentioned a county requireing a mental health evaluation too. I signed papers for the sheriff to look for mental heath records, but an eval is very different. Seems that of the three counties this gun range generally services mine, Burke, is the hardest to deal with.