• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in parks

Manu

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/northwestvoices/2009297146_guns_in_parks_2.html

Guns in parks

Posted by Letters editor

A safety measure, like a fire extinguisher

The reason people who go into national parks want to carry firearms is because of the numerous criminals roaming the national parks looking for unarmed victims ["Guns in parks: What's the point?" Opinion, Northwest Voices, June 2].

I consider a firearm just like a fire extinguisher: I may never have to use it, but if I do, I surely will be glad I have it.

-- Reno Raines, Auburn

Calling 911 no use in the wilderness

Unlike a recent contributor, I frequently carry a loaded gun. Of what use is one that isn't loaded? I find his idea that only cowards carry guns patently ignorant.

I am not strong enough to carry a cop, so sometimes I carry a handgun. I have carry-conceal licenses from two states and I am very familiar with my handguns, having used them since the early '50s. I go to the shooting range frequently and maintain my shooting ability. I have no requirement or desire to kill any animal.

That fella sounds like a "just dial 911" sort. Try that in the wilderness. The sheriff will come and clean up the mess ... if he finds the body.

Are there illegal activities going on in national forests? Will the bad guys harm you if you stumble into their activities?

Only a Pollyanna sort would find the legal carrying of a handgun an act of anything but the desire to survive.

-- Marvin E. Woody Sr., Port Orchard

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/northwestvoices/2009287858_guns_in_parks_1.html

Guns in parks

Posted by Letters editor

What's the point?

Once again we are visiting the issue of guns in parks [" 'Penalties' tacked on to credit-card bill," Opinion, May 22]. It is a moral as well as legal issue, but the overriding point remains: What degree and depth of cowardice does is required for an individual to feel the need to carry a loaded firearm into a national or county park?

Carrying a loaded handgun implies the requirement (desire?) to kill something. What? Who? Why?

-- Lee C. Jenen, Port Townsend

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

deanf

imported post

I have carry-conceal licenses from two states and I am very familiar with my handguns, having used them since the early '50s. I go to the shooting range frequently and maintain my shooting ability.

I wish people wouldn't write that kind of stuff. There is no requirement in the law for: familiarity with ones arms; many years of shooting experience, or regular maintenance of shooting ability.

Gun owners should only be judged by the requirements of the law, not how people feel.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Manu wrote:
What's the point?

Once again we are visiting the issue of guns in parks [" 'Penalties' tacked on to credit-card bill," Opinion, May 22]. It is a moral as well as legal issue, but the overriding point remains: What degree and depth of cowardice does is required for an individual to feel the need to carry a loaded firearm into a national or county park?

Carrying a loaded handgun implies the requirement (desire?) to kill something. What? Who? Why?

-- Lee C. Jenen, Port Townsend

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

This guy must be on crack? Obviously he has never talked to gun owners who carry for self defense. The overwhelming majority always state they hope they never have to use it. Wich is totally contradictory to his theory we desire to kill. He also obviously hasn't spent much time in these parks.

I went surfing last weakend and camped at a private park because the the state ones in that area in my experience are dangerous (and nasty) places.

Manu

imported post

These kind of guys think that gun owners carry guns only to kill somebody. They need to learn that we are the one who refuse to be a victim and are doing everything with responsibilty. and guess what when we get our CPL atleast our background is checked and it is a guaranteed fact that we are not felons. Who knows who these guys past is who is not a gun owner I do not mean to say all non gunowners are bad but still at the same time 100% all gunowners has passed their background :)

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:

This guy must be on crack? Obviously he has never talked to gun owners who carry for self defense. The overwhelming majority always state they hope they never have to use it. Wich is totally contradictory to his theory we desire to kill. He also obviously hasn't spent much time in these parks.

I went surfing last weakend and camped at a private park because the the state ones in that area in my experience are dangerous (and nasty) places.
Remember, he's a liberal. From his disturbed point of view anyone who doesn't rely on the government for everything is a coward or otherwise mentally deficient. This letter had my wife ranting & raving for ten minutes when she read it, and she didn't used to be the political type:what:

Hammer

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
The guy from Port Townsend is what happens when liberals learn how to read and write :p
I wish they'd wear a sign to indicate their status so if the SHTF, they could be at the front of the line to demonstrate how they would handle the situation without a firearm.

compmanio365

imported post

I'd like to ask the guy "badcat" on that page if he's even really been out in the woods.....not the KOA campgrounds kinda woods, OUT in the woods. Where you have no cell phone signal. You're lucky if you have a ham radio and can find a repeater, and that does you no good if nobody is listening. And the "bad cats" are all around you and like to attack humans if they think they can get away with it. Not to mention the meth cookers and other illegal activities that go on out in the wilderness by people that wouldn't hesitate to kill you if you happened upon their operations.

FunkTrooper

imported post

One thing I've learned is that in the woods you have to rely on yourself no cellphone signal at all. These hikers might also criticize people who bring first aid kits in their packs because it implies that you want to hurt themselves or are going to do reckless things. Being prepared is a good thing and not something to be feared.

It would suck If I went out hiking and found a violent drug grower and was murdered because I wasn't prepared that day.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Having been involved in closing down a few grow operations, I would advise the following.

Pay particular attention tothe brush and bushes along the remote trails It is not uncommon to find booby traps made by hanging fish hooks at shoulder height. These are usually located quite a ways from the grow plot. If you find them, get GPS coords and leave the area, and report to the nearest LEO. Yeah even though you do not trust them.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Having been involved in closing down a few grow operations, I would advise the following.

Pay particular attention tothe brush and bushes along the remote trails It is not uncommon to find booby traps made by hanging fish hooks at shoulder height. These are usually located quite a ways from the grow plot. If you find them, get GPS coords and leave the area, and report to the nearest LEO. Yeah even though you do not trust them.
That's good to know, by the way trust is earned not given.

SpokaneIrish

imported post

You know what is interesting..... Obama signed this bill reopening the Nat. Parks to gun carry....... Anyone know who signed the bill closing them to guns in the first place????? ANYONE?????

REAGAN!

Metalhead47

imported post

SpokaneIrish wrote:
You know what is interesting..... Obama signed this bill reopening the Nat. Parks to gun carry....... Anyone know who signed the bill closing them to guns in the first place????? ANYONE?????

REAGAN!
OK, I'll bite. The Grand Monkey signed the bill because it was a credit card bill, the gun thing was just along for the ride, a side effect.

What was the primary purpose of the bill that banned them in the first place? Are you trying to say you'd rather have obama than Reagan?:what:

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpokaneIrish wrote:

REAGAN!

INCORRECT!

The rules put in place by the Reagan administration allowed for the first time in ages, one posses or transport a firearm thru a National Park as long as the gun was unloaded and locked away. Before that, you could not even posses a gun of any kind inside the boundries of the NP.