Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Princeton Gun Scare Ends With 4 in Custody

  1. #1
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Man, oh man......the institution of formal education is in love with these lockdowns.

    I wonder if all the LE involved get commendations for their valorous performances..

    I also wonder the cost, both per incident and cumulative, is for all the school lockdowns in this country...gawd, it has to be abig number.





    Princeton Gun Scare Ends With 4 in Custody Lockdown lasted nearly an hour
    By BRIAN THOMPSON and JENNIFER MILLMAN


    Jun 3, 2009


    Police took four juvenilesuspects into custody just before 11:30 a.m. None of the four suspects were students. One had a dark greentoy gun in his waistband that school officials said could have been mistaken for a real gun.

    The four kids were apparently rummaging through some sort of trash dumpster and told cops that's where they found the toy gun, police sources told NBCNewYork.com. One of the juveniles picked up the fake gun, put it in his belt and started walking away with the other three kids when a woman spotted the gun in his waistband and called police. It's not clear whether or not she was a student.

    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of kids from town going on campus and rummaging through dumpsters looking for unused alcohol, which campus security says has been on ongoing problem.

    This is the message posted on Princeton's Web site:



    "At 11:25 a.m. Wednesday, June 3, Princeton University's Department of Public Safety issued an all clear, and has reported there was no gunman on campus.

    Campus community members should resume normal activities. The investigation was conducted with Princeton Borough police assisted by Township police, and the Department of Public Safety has re-opened the campus.

    At 10:36 a.m., a male with what appeared to be a handgun was reported near the vicinity of Dod Hall dormitory. There was no report of any threatening behavior or injuries. Public Safety responded immediately by issuing a campus alert instructing people to stay indoors, by patrolling and by limiting access to campus.

    The first report and a second tip led Borough police to four juveniles who were taken into custody near campus. The questioning revealed that the suspected handgun was a dark green plastic toy that could be confused with an actual weapon. The toy was retrieved near the Wawa on University Place.

    The juveniles are not Princeton University students."

    Earlier, Princeton had cautioned students to stay inside while police investigated reports of a gunman.

    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...ock-Down-.html

    This is the toy gun that caused the scare at Princeton Wednesday:

    [img]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/300*164/toygun.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:

    Police took four juvenilesuspects into custody just before 11:30 a.m. None of the four suspects were students. One had a dark greentoy gun in his waistband that school officials said could have been mistaken for a real gun.

    The four kids were apparently rummaging through some sort of trash dumpster and told cops that's where they found the toy gun, police sources told NBCNewYork.com. One of the juveniles picked up the fake gun, put it in his belt and started walking away with the other three kids when a woman spotted the gun in his waistband and called police. It's not clear whether or not she was a student.

    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of kids from town going on campus and rummaging through dumpsters looking for unused alcohol, which campus security says has been on ongoing problem.


    [img]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/300*164/toygun.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    I'm curious...for what were the four juveniles arrested? Not saying they should or they should not have been, just asking? Trespass? Rummaging through private property? Possession of a toy gun? What...?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

    Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

  5. #5
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Wait just one moment.

    They put out an "All Clear"?
    We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

    They have "Lock Downs" for bank roberies?

    WTF?!? The homies at the end of my block can pop caps at each other every other night and I have never gotten a text from PoPo to "Lock Down" my house? How come they are so good at informing the students but us nonstudents don't know crap about the guy they are looking for around the block?
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  6. #6
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    yale wrote:
    Wait just one moment.

    They put out an "All Clear"?
    We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

    They have "Lock Downs" for bank roberies?
    It's for the children...

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , , Zimbabwe
    Posts
    114

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.
    keeps boyz in custody in cl ass room

  8. #8
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    yale wrote:
    Wait just one moment.

    They put out an "All Clear"?
    We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

    They have "Lock Downs" for bank roberies?
    It's for the children...
    Right. Now give up your guns for the children.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.
    I think the theory is that every "armed suspect" in the worldis just waiting for a chance to shoot up a school. Therefore--under the lib's claim that "if it saves the life of just one child, it will be worth it"--they lock all school doors to deny entry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,963

    Post imported post

    falcon1 wrote:
    I'm curious...for what were the four juveniles arrested? Not saying they should or they should not have been, just asking? Trespass? Rummaging through private property? Possession of a toy gun? What...?
    Princeton is in New Jersey. Thining about guns, even toy guns, is a crime in New Jersey.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    Flyer22 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.
    I think the theory is that every "armed suspect" in the worldis just waiting for a chance to shoot up a school. Therefore--under the lib's claim that "if it saves the life of just one child, it will be worth it"--they lock all school doors to deny entry.
    Armed robber vs school full of unarmed adults and locked down so no one can escape. That is not a good combo. If anyone thinks locking a school down, especially after an armed robbery nearby, does any good they are mistaken. The first thing Mr. Robber is thinking after he leaves the bank is "I need a child hostage"? If he really wanted a hostage he'd grab a lady from the bank, not drive to the nearest school with even more witnesses.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    Armed robber vs school full of unarmed adults and locked down so no one can escape. That is not a good combo. If anyone thinks locking a school down, especially after an armed robbery nearby, does any good they are mistaken. The first thing Mr. Robber is thinking after he leaves the bank is "I need a child hostage"? If he really wanted a hostage he'd grab a lady from the bank, not drive to the nearest school with even more witnesses.
    You're assuming that the lamers who come up with these ideas have functioning brain cells.

    Someone who's just commited a robbery's going to be most concerned with getting away and out of sight, not going to a place with hundreds of witnesses to commit another crime.

    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of...
    Incident?

    This is the part I take the most offense to. How does any rational, thinking person, consider anything about this to be an 'incident?'

    I'm amazed how certain groups of people seem to invent new ways to be dumber than a bucket full of ****.

    The only 'incident' here is huge government having a huge over-reaction to NOTHING.

    And people are in custody? Someone, much less 4 people, have been arrested for this?

    Just when you didn't think they could get any more outrageously ****ing stupid....

    If not for the socialist infrastructure these idiots have created for themselves, these people could never live...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  14. #14
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of...
    Incident?

    This is the part I take the most offense to. How does any rational, thinking person, consider anything about this to be an 'incident?'

    I'm amazed how certain groups of people seem to invent new ways to be dumber than a bucket full of ****.
    What bothers you about the term "incident," ixtow?

    Seems pretty appropriate to me. Neutral, too.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of...
    Incident?

    This is the part I take the most offense to. How does any rational, thinking person, consider anything about this to be an 'incident?'

    I'm amazed how certain groups of people seem to invent new ways to be dumber than a bucket full of ****.
    What bothers you about the term "incident," ixtow?

    Seems pretty appropriate to me. Neutral, too.
    You just love to pick fights, Hank.

    The 'incident' was manufactured. Therefore, not an 'incident.'

    Just stupid.

    In this case, stupid has become a noun. Replace the word "incident" with "stupid," and the whole thing makes more sense.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  16. #16
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of...
    Incident?

    This is the part I take the most offense to. How does any rational, thinking person, consider anything about this to be an 'incident?'

    I'm amazed how certain groups of people seem to invent new ways to be dumber than a bucket full of ****.
    What bothers you about the term "incident," ixtow?

    Seems pretty appropriate to me. Neutral, too.
    You just love to pick fights, Hank.

    The 'incident' was manufactured. Therefore, not an 'incident.'

    Just stupid.

    In this case, stupid has become a noun. Replace the word "incident" with "stupid," and the whole thing makes more sense.
    Here's a link that might interest you, ixtow.

    http://www.amazon.com/Websters-Colle...425&sr=8-1





  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    No shots were fired. It wasn't clear how many people were on campus at the time of the incident. Police believe the incident stemmed froma bigger problem of...
    Incident?

    This is the part I take the most offense to. How does any rational, thinking person, consider anything about this to be an 'incident?'

    I'm amazed how certain groups of people seem to invent new ways to be dumber than a bucket full of ****.
    What bothers you about the term "incident," ixtow?

    Seems pretty appropriate to me. Neutral, too.
    You just love to pick fights, Hank.

    The 'incident' was manufactured. Therefore, not an 'incident.'

    Just stupid.

    In this case, stupid has become a noun. Replace the word "incident" with "stupid," and the whole thing makes more sense.
    Here's a link that might interest you, ixtow.

    http://www.amazon.com/Websters-Colle...425&sr=8-1



    I'm aware. Hence, my own deliberate re-definition of the word.

    I don't have conversations with you anymore, Hank. I just tell you.

    I wonder if it should be a proper noun now?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    The funny thing... I thought they demanded the obnoxious orange barrel caps were to indicate it was a toy gun and therefore harmless.

    So now the police & administrators can't tell what a toy gun looks like?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    For me, what's wrong here is this: the instant the Borough police identified the gun as a toy, they should have let the kids go. There was no further cause for arrest.


  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    CoonDog wrote:
    For me, what's wrong here is this: the instant the Borough police identified the gun as a toy, they should have let the kids go. There was no further cause for arrest.
    That is what I do not understand, unless Thundar was one-hundred percent serious.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

    Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    darthmord wrote:
    The funny thing... I thought they demanded the obnoxious orange barrel caps were to indicate it was a toy gun and therefore harmless.

    So now the police & administrators can't tell what a toy gun looks like?
    To their credit, as reported, the gun was stuck in the kids' pants. Most commonly, this would mean the muzzle was not visible.

    But I'm not understanding what they were arrested for once it was discovered to be a toy...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, UT, ,
    Posts
    98

    Post imported post

    CoonDog wrote:
    For me, what's wrong here is this: the instant the Borough police identified the gun as a toy, they should have let the kids go. There was no further cause for arrest.
    If one of these is my kid, I'm thinking that this is the point at which my attorney starts to salivate.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    Isn't it cutehow a parent has to act on their behalf, as they have no Rights on their own?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    492

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.
    "what's that supposed to accomplish?" you ask. Well, I don't know, but being the jaded sort that I am, and as usual: filled with suspision, I think that perhaps the schools may have some sort of insurance policy that will pay them if there is an "incident" that required the campus to be secured. Hence, the finance depts. of the various schools are eager to have an incident.



    A student breaks wind in the hallway, hey: couldda been a gun shot!!! Darn!!, we have an incident. lock down the campus and submit the insurance claim.



    Also, campus police may intentionally over react in some situtations and behave as if they are combatting the 3rd Reicht so that they have "heroic actions" recorded in their performance folders, which of course will help when seeking a promotion or raise.



    mabbe its just me but I've worked in gov'mint for 32 years: I know bureaucracy when I see it.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    6L6GC wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.
    "what's that supposed to accomplish?" you ask. Well, I don't know, but being the jaded sort that I am, and as usual: filled with suspision, I think that perhaps the schools may have some sort of insurance policy that will pay them if there is an "incident" that required the campus to be secured. Hence, the finance depts. of the various schools are eager to have an incident.



    A student breaks wind in the hallway, hey: couldda been a gun shot!!! Darn!!, we have an incident. lock down the campus and submit the insurance claim.



    Also, campus police may intentionally over react in some situtations and behave as if they are combatting the 3rd Reicht so that they have "heroic actions" recorded in their performance folders, which of course will help when seeking a promotion or raise.



    mabbe its just me but I've worked in gov'mint for 32 years: I know bureaucracy when I see it.


    I wouldn't doubt any of that fora second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •