• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Princeton Gun Scare Ends With 4 in Custody

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

darthmord wrote:
The funny thing... I thought they demanded the obnoxious orange barrel caps were to indicate it was a toy gun and therefore harmless.

So now the police & administrators can't tell what a toy gun looks like?
To their credit, as reported, the gun was stuck in the kids' pants. Most commonly, this would mean the muzzle was not visible.

But I'm not understanding what they were arrested for once it was discovered to be a toy...

MuellerBadener

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
For me, what's wrong here is this: the instant the Borough police identified the gun as a toy, they should have let the kids go. There was no further cause for arrest.
If one of these is my kid, I'm thinking that this is the point at which my attorney starts to salivate.

6L6GC

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

"what's that supposed to accomplish?" you ask. Well, I don't know, but being the jaded sort that I am, and as usual: filled with suspision, I think that perhaps the schools may have some sort of insurance policy that will pay them if there is an "incident" that required the campus to be secured. Hence, the finance depts. of the various schools are eager to have an incident.

A student breaks wind in the hallway, hey: couldda been a gun shot!!! Darn!!, we have an incident. lock down the campus and submit the insurance claim.

Also, campus police may intentionally over react in some situtations and behave as if they are combatting the 3rd Reicht so that they have "heroic actions" recorded in their performance folders, which of course will help when seeking a promotion or raise.

mabbe its just me but I've worked in gov'mint for 32 years: I know bureaucracy when I see it.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Funny you mention that. We had an armed robbery at a local bank yesterday. Every school in every surrounding town was under "lock down" (wtf is that supposed to accomplish?) most of the day.

"what's that supposed to accomplish?" you ask. Well, I don't know, but being the jaded sort that I am, and as usual: filled with suspision, I think that perhaps the schools may have some sort of insurance policy that will pay them if there is an "incident" that required the campus to be secured. Hence, the finance depts. of the various schools are eager to have an incident.

A student breaks wind in the hallway, hey: couldda been a gun shot!!! Darn!!, we have an incident. lock down the campus and submit the insurance claim.

Also, campus police may intentionally over react in some situtations and behave as if they are combatting the 3rd Reicht so that they have "heroic actions" recorded in their performance folders, which of course will help when seeking a promotion or raise.

mabbe its just me but I've worked in gov'mint for 32 years: I know bureaucracy when I see it.

I wouldn't doubt any of that fora second.