• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paddle Holster, Pros & Cons Please

bugly

imported post

Been using a Fobus for a long time, not too bad, but you gotta have undershirt protection so the gun doesn't get sweated on if CC, the only other issue is I have a military-style hammer and it gets a little "pokey" sometimes when I drive.

RebelHell

imported post

I have also been using a Fobus for about a year and a half now. I have never had a problem with the paddle sliding or moving as long as you use a good 1 1/2 inch belt. My old 1 1/4 inch belt was ok but when I got the new wider belt the "teeth" that lock under the belt (from inside the pants obviously) really pulled the holster and gun into my side better for easier concealment. That being said my next holster will be a Galco belt holster. I like leather. :D

grumpycoconut

imported post

Paddles are useful, but that's about it. The quick on, quick off is great if you need it and I've yet to wear a paddle that untucked itself without some serious contortionist action. The down side of paddles is that the paddle is stiff and can gouge you especially if you drive a lot.The plastic paddlewillgive youa bad case of the sweats and a rash if you wear the thing full time. The paddle also has a tendency to untuck your shirt.

By the way, what is the like affair with Fobus. I've owned them before and aside from being cheap enough to be disposable I can't see much to recommend them. Not only that but how do you think your poor $1100 1911 feels when you shove it in a $15 holster. That's like sticking Cindy Crawford in a Walmart tube top. It just ain't right.

RebelHell

imported post

LMAO Fobus is ok. It works and is cheap. No I wouldn't want to put a 1200 dollar 1911 in one. I carry a $300 Taurus. I haven't had any problems with it but now that I have tried a Galco belt holster that will be my next purchase.

richarcm

imported post

Not that Fobus is top of the line but how much it costs doesn't really mean much. I've seen some really nice holsters running for $50 that are much higher quality than some holsters I've seen running for $100. There's no reason to be a snob about this sort of thing. The Fobus holster is fine. I have one, use it daily and don't have any problems with it. It doesn't irritate me, doesn't feel uncomfortable, doesn't mess up my clothing, doesn't persuade me to sweat, etc. Its just a convenient way to carry. The only problem is that the retention, especially because it is a paddle holster, is not the best. But it is much nicer than having to undo your belt everytime you want to remove the holster. This is also why I love my IWB holster. Regardless of whether or not I'm using it I just leave it inside of my pants. Its always there and doesn't bother me if it isn't removed.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I carry my Ruger p94 in a fobus roto-paddle. I absolutely love the paddle style. Easy on and off when need be, stays put, and has decent retention. I originally wanted a paddle with Serpa style retention, but they don't make one for my weapon, and I can't stand a thumb break.

I always have a t-shirt on, and usually my overshirt is tucked in. I get no sweats, no rash, no sliding around.

Only real issue was with the Roto system. Since it is a standard right hand thread on the locking screw, after getting in and out of the car a few times the screw loosened. I took it out and put some loc-tite on it, and problem solved. I plan on getting a crossbreed tuckable soon for concealed carry, but the paddle is awesome for my day-to-day OC.

Regards,

Pol

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Screw paddle, my Comp-Tac Minotaur goes on just as easy and feels great.

G19%20Minotaur%20New%20Clips.jpg

gbentzen8

imported post

I've used a Don Hume leather paddle holster and it's great. Leather paddle conforms to you and the holster does a great job of holding weapon high and tight without much skin (or sweat) contact............but it depends on your body type. If you've got some serious love handles going on I'm sure there will be contact.

As I recall I paid $65 for it at a gun show about 6 years ago. It stays in place all day long. I usually wear canvas military style belts. May sound like a lot for a holster for your $300 Taurus, but I've never regretted buiying it for my under $200 KelTec P-11. Of course as an OWB holster you'll need shirt tails out and shirts with plenty of length to cover well.

rpyne

imported post

I use an Uncle Mikes kydex paddle holster and love it. Properly adjusted, it keeps a good grip on my pants and on my handgun, yet it is easy to draw and easy to take off when the need arises.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use the paddle attachment with my Blackhawk SERPA CQC holster. I carry a XD9 5-inch, so I wear a belt with it to provide stability and support.

The paddle attachment has adjustable hooks to ensure that the holster is latched in to the belt, making it very difficult to remove without practice. (Good for retention purposes.)

Once you get used to taking it off, you can do so very quickly and easily.

Now, some people have bashed the SERPA for the possibility that the retention mechanism could jam with a pebble. I have been open carrying for about a year, the entire time using the SERPA, without any trouble or jams.

As far as getting knocked down and a pebble jamming in that moment.... Possible, but so is a metor falling from the sky and hitting you in the head. You can't prevent every risk.

The fact is that, statistically, I will never have to draw my weapon. In the chance that I do, it is further unlikely that I will be engaging in a scuffle before doing so. In the event that a scuffle does occur, there is limited risk of it occuring in a pebble enviroment. Further, the risk of a pebble then jamming into the mechanism is remote as well....

When you add it all up, I am sure that I have a better chance of my sidearm attracting a bolt of lightning than to have a pebble jam my release.

sraacke

imported post

I bought a Safariland model 568 paddle style leather holster for my Ruger P-89 yesterday. I have worn it a couple of hours including about an hour outside mowing the lawn. So far no complaints. It feels secure and comfortable on my hip.