• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Cabela's

Mahan0331

imported post

I went to Cabela's this evening, OC of course. The gentleman @ the door asked if I planned on removing my firearm from its holster, I told him no. He apologized for asking and explained they've had a problem w/ people whowhip out theirpistolas they "try on" new holsters and how he was required to ask. Nice guy, didn't catch his name...

Anyway I looked around @ their overpriced stuff and got a realweird look from some gal pushin' a cart w her kid inside, you could tell she was lookin' @ my gun,and I didn't think too much of it until I walked out the door. A Glendale cop pulled up to the front and hustled out. I stopped thinking he was going to talk to me but he didn't even look my way as he went inside. I got in my truck and went home...dunno if that chick "snitched" on me but it was late and I didn't feel like dealin' w/ any BS....:)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mahan0331 wrote:
I went to Cabela's this evening, OC of course. The gentleman @ the door asked if I planned on removing my firearm from its holster, I told him no. He apologized for asking and explained they've had a problem w/ people whowhip out theirpistolas they "try on" new holsters and how he was required to ask. Nice guy, didn't catch his name...

Anyway I looked around @ their overpriced stuff and got a realweird look from some gal pushin' a cart w her kid inside, you could tell she was lookin' @ my gun,and I didn't think too much of it until I walked out the door. A Glendale cop pulled up to the front and hustled out. I stopped thinking he was going to talk to me but he didn't even look my way as he went inside. I got in my truck and went home...dunno if that chick "snitched" on me but it was late and I didn't feel like dealin' w/ any BS....:)
It would be fun to know if she did. It would mean that the Cop rushed right by the MWAG without even noticing, being so well-trained and alert....

Wonder if there is a way to find out?

/me checks out the Uniden BCD396T again.... Wishes to win the Lottery, er, "Number Racket."

Michigander

imported post

The cops in Glendale do not care about someone open carrying. I've OC'd in front of no less than 30 of them. At a maximum, he probably went to go make sure you weren't robbing the place, then he left.

I've had the cops called on me in AZ before, normally in somewhere filled with Californians. What tends to happen is that the cop never goes to talk to me, instead looking at me from a distance, then going to talk to the person I saw get panicked and whip out a phone. But I've never been detained by an AZ cop specifically for OCing. They just don't do that, even if they get a misguided call.

thehuskybear

imported post

Haha... well that would be interesting if she was the one who called the cop. Oh.. who would think a guy with an OC might actually visit a place that sells guns, ammo, hunting gear, etc... that would seem suspicious to me :D:celebrate

Being someone who is new to OCing, Im not looking forward to some of the negative reactions, but I have learned some interesting ways to deal with them on these forums. So its always interesting to hear stories like this...

dac844

imported post

In Cabela's? Wow, you would think that someone in a sporting goods store of that caliber would have a little more respect for people that shop there.

If she did call the police on you, did she completely skip the hunting section, if she missed that, she would have been surprised. personally i have never been into a big name sporting goods store and not seen the person behind the gun counter without a pistol on his hip.

if she's going to be afraid of something it's going to be that guy, there's hundreds of guns back there, and ammo for them within a few feet...

just my .02 cents.

protector84

imported post

Michigander wrote:
get panicked and whip out a phone.

One time in a restaurant I saw a man glance a look at my gun and then we whipped out a Holy Bible. Maybe it was a coincidence and maybe it sounds mean of me but I could not for the life of me keep a grin off of my face. The man kept constantly looking at his Bible and then back up at me and he was holding the Bible upward as if he was trying to make sure that I could see that he wasa good Christian and to do him no harm. Wow, there are sure some cases out there!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

One time in a restaurant I saw a man glance a look at my gun and then we whipped out a Holy Bible. Maybe it was a coincidence and maybe it sounds mean of me but I could not for the life of me keep a grin off of my face. The man kept constantly looking at his Bible and then back up at me and he was holding the Bible upward as if he was trying to make sure that I could see that he wasa good Christian and to do him no harm. Wow, there are sure some cases out there!
Maybe it was a bullet-proof Bible?

curtm1911

imported post

ixtow wrote:
protector84 wrote:
Michigander wrote:

Maybe it was a bullet-proof Bible?
baaaaaa baaaaaa ..........its ok Fluffy, the sheepdogs are on duty whether you know it or not...........:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:lol:

protector84

imported post

The funny thing is that I bet the Bible would actually be bullet-resistant to some degree. Any hardcover book with enough pages would probably at least slow some bullets down due to the mere thickness of the pages. It may even stop a hollow point altoghether. Talk about Jesus to the rescue! :lol:I've always found it a bit strange how people who are nervous around guns make it so obvious. If I was in a public place and was concerned that a man with a gun may be about to do something with the gun, the last thing I would want is to be the first person to get his attention. Acting weird like that whether it is whipping out a Bible, constant staring, trembling, or saying to a neighbor "He has a gun" loud enough to be overheard is a good way to be the first to get shot should the individual in question be an actual Columbine-type.