• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The CT Pistol Pemit Application process and FINGERPRINTS

Edward Peruta

imported post

FINGERPRINTS MAY NOT BE MANDATORY FOR PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATIONS!

When making applicaiton for a Pistol Permit in CT ask yourself this question.

Have I ever been fingerprinted?

IF YOU HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLYFINGERPRINTED AND THE PRINTS ARE ON FILE WITH A LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT, ANY FEDERAL STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY, THE STATE OF CONNECTCIUT BUREAU OF IDENTIFICATION OR THE F.B.I, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND SIMPLY INFORM THE ISSUING AUTHORITY WHEN YOUR PRINTSWERE TAKEN AND WHERE THEY ARE CURRENTLY MAINTAINED.

The sections of Connecticut General Statutes that apply:

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant. (a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one week after receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.

(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

FINGERPRINTS MAY NOT BE MANDATORY FOR PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATIONS!

The process for obtaining the required State and National Criminal History Records ChecksDOES NOT mandate or require that a set of fingerprints to be taken, completed or submitted.

What the lawdoes require is that the applicant'sIDENTITYbe positively established and verified by methods of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The Connecticut Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification as a matter of policy, routinely accept various government issued documents and photo ID cards to make or establishPOSITIVE IDENTIFICATION of individuals.

[align=left]Suggestions:[/align]
1. Pick up the Pistol Permit application, (There is currently a newversion since Feb of 2009). fill it in, and submit it to your local issuing authority along with any necessary supporting documents, either in person or (preferably)by certified mail return receipt requested.

2. If you have been previously fingerprinted for any reason such as military service, professional license etc. and the fingerprints were submitted to the State or Federal Government, NO NEW FINGERPRINTS are required. Save yourself the money.

3. If the local issuing authority is unable or unwilling to take your fingerprints in a timely manner,ask the local Police Department for a letter authorizing you to have your fingerprints taken by the State Police at their headquarters in Middletown.

4. Regardless of what happens with your attempt to be fingerprinted, submit your completed standard permit application together withone or more rock solid forms of POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION to thelocal issuing authority.

The local issuing authoritymust acceptyour application.

Obtain some type of verification of the date and time that the application was submitted.

If after eight weeks from the time you submit the standard application you do not receive notice of a decision, go to the nearest State Police facility with the verification that you submitted a standard application and submit one to them them.

Edward Peruta

imported post

BEAT THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!!

THE SECTIONS OF CONNECTICUT LAW WHICH ESTABLISH THE PROCESS FOR OBTAINING AN ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE TO PURCHASE A PISTOL OR REVOLVER, ARE VERY SIMILAR TO THE PROCESS FOR OBTAINING A PERMIT TO CARRY.

THE BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCEIS THAT THE APPLICATION FOR THE ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE IS MADE EXCLUSIVELY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY/STATE POLICE.

DURING THE PROCESS OF MAKING ANAPPLICATION FOR AN ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE, FINGERPRINTS WILL BE TAKEN BY THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY/STATE POLICE.

ONCE THEAPPLICANT'S FINGERPRINTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN AND ARE ON FILE WITHTHE STATE POLICE, THE PERMIT TO CARRY APPLICANT WILL BEEXEMPT FROM ANY LOCAL REQUIREMENT OR REQUESTTOSUBMITANOTHER ADDITIONAL SET OF FINGERPRINTS AS PART OF THELOCAL TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY APPLICATION PROCESS THROUGH A LOCAL ISSUING AUTHORITY!

IF YOU DO GET YOUR FINGERPRINTS TAKEN BY THE STATE POLICE AS PART OF THE ELIGIBILITY PERMIT PROCESS, MAKE SURE YOU GET A COPY OF THE FINGERPRINTS AND A RECEIPT FOR HAVING THEM TAKEN.

The receipt for having your fingerprints taken by the State Police and/or a photocopy of the completed fingerprint card taken by the State Police should be enough to prevent any local issuing authority from subjecting an applicant to the delay and expense of having them taken again.

Controlling Connecticut General Statutes:

Sec. 29-36f. Eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver. (a) Any person who is twenty-one years of age or older may apply to the Commissioner of Public Safety for an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.

(b) The Commissioner of Public Safety shall issue an eligibility certificate unless said commissioner finds that the applicant: (1) Has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association; (2) has been convicted of a felony or of a violation of subsection (c) of section 21a-279, section 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d; (3) has been convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense, as defined in section 46b-120; (4) has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect pursuant to section 53a-13; (5) has been confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding twelve months by order of a probate court; (6) is subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person; (7) is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to subsection (d) of section 29-38c after notice and hearing, or (8) is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

(July Sp. Sess. P.A. 94-1, S. 7; P.A. 98-129, S. 14; P.A. 99-212, S. 20.)

History: P.A. 98-129 amended Subsec. (b) to add new Subdiv. (3) prohibiting the issuance of an eligibility certificate to an applicant who has been convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense, renumbering the remaining Subdivs. accordingly, and to replace in Subdiv. (5) "hospital for mental illness" with "hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities"; P.A. 99-212 amended Subsec. (b) to add new Subdiv. (7) prohibiting the issuance of an eligibility certificate to an applicant who is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to Sec. 29-38c(d) after notice and hearing, renumbering remaining Subdiv. accordingly, and to make provisions gender neutral.

Sec. 29-36g. Application for eligibility certificate. Criminal history records check. Deadline for approval or denial of application. Form of certificate. Change of address. Confidentiality of name and address of certificate holder. Scope of certificate. (a) Requests for eligibility certificates under section 29-36f shall be submitted to the Commissioner of Public Safety on application forms prescribed by the commissioner. No eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of said section unless the applicant for such certificate gives to the Commissioner of Public Safety, upon the commissioner's request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record and relevant information concerning the applicant's mental health history. The commissioner shall require each applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The commissioner shall take a full description of such applicant. The commissioner shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The commissioner shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a. The commissioner shall, within sixty days of receipt of the national criminal history records check from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, either approve the application and issue the eligibility certificate or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing.

(b) With respect to any application for an eligibility certificate filed with the Commissioner of Public Safety on or before July 1, 1995, the commissioner shall, not later than October 1, 1995, (1) approve the application and issue the eligibility certificate, (2) issue a temporary eligibility certificate or (3) deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing. With respect to any application for an eligibility certificate filed with the Commissioner of Public Safety after July 1, 1995, the commissioner shall, within ninety days, (1) approve the application and issue the eligibility certificate, (2) issue a temporary eligibility certificate or (3) deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing. A temporary certificate issued under this subsection shall be valid until such time as the commissioner either approves or denies the application.

(c) An eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver shall be of such form and content as the commissioner may prescribe, shall be signed by the certificate holder and shall contain an identification number, the name, address, place and date of birth, height, weight and eye color of the certificate holder and a full-face photograph of the certificate holder.

(d) A person holding an eligibility certificate issued by the commissioner shall notify the commissioner within two business days of any change of his address. The notification shall include his old address and his new address.

(e) Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 1-210 and 1-211, the name and address of a person issued an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver under the provisions of section 29-36f shall be confidential and shall not be disclosed, except (1) such information may be disclosed to law enforcement officials acting in the performance of their duties, (2) the Commissioner of Public Safety may disclose such information to the extent necessary to comply with a request made pursuant to section 29-33 for verification that such certificate is still valid and has not been suspended or revoked, and (3) such information may be disclosed to the Commissioner of Mental Health and Addiction Services to carry out the provisions of subsection (c) of section 17a-500.

(f) An eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver shall not authorize the holder thereof to carry a pistol or revolver upon his person in circumstances for which a permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28 is required under section 29-35.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I HAVE DONE SOME ADDITIONAL RESEARCH INTO MAKING APPLICATIONS FOR ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATES AND PERMITS TO CARRY PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS, AND HAVE PUT TOGETHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST TO ALL CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS.

PLEASE VISIT THIS LINK TO READ WHAT I HAVE PUT TOGETHER.

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/Eligibility.and.Permits.to.Carry.htm

AN INTERESTING ASPECT OF MY RESEARCH IS THE FACT THAT INDIVIDUALS MAY BE ABLE TO APPLY FOR AND POSSESS BOTH THE CERTIFICATE AND PERMIT.

TRUST ME, THERE IS VERY SOUND LOGIC IN HAVING BOTH.

YOU MAY EXPERIENCE AN ATTEMPT TO REVOKE YOUR PERMIT TO CARRY DUE TO AN ALLEGATION OR BELIEF THAT YOU ARE UNSUITABLE, BUT SUITABILIY IS NOT A FACTOR IN POSSESSING AN ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE.

I BELIEVE THAT THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN LOSE YOUR ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE IS AFTER GOING THROUGH A 29-38c WARRANT HEARING.

romma

imported post

Ed Peruta, you scare me! :uhoh: You in my opinion, are an evil genius when it comes to this stuff.

Look forward to seeing you at CCDL Tuesday eveningassuming you are still coming!

Edward Peruta

imported post

I am going to DPS Headquarters on Monday to apply for and attempt to receive an Eligibility Certificate to complement my permit to carry.

I'm sure there will be questions as to why I'm making the request.

Ed Peruta

I will be at the CCDL meeting and suggest that as many individuals as possible attend and join the goup.

romma

imported post

Code:
I'm sure there will be questions as to why I'm making the request.

Ya think? :shock: Make them scratch their heads for a time.

Edward Peruta

imported post

DPS is in fact scratching their heads, they took my applicaiton for an Eligibilty Certificate which looks just like a permit to carry, and will be doing research on how to handle requests of this type.

There was much confusion and they are asking higher authorities to answer the quesiton on whether or not a new set of fingerprints must be taken and submitted from an individual who possesses a valid permit to carry etc..

DPS has confirmed that individuals may apply for, receive and possess the Eligibility Certificate in addition to a permit to carry.

More as it becomes know.

Ed Peruta

GoldCoaster

imported post

Well when you have various statutes that to some extent duplicate each other yet serve slightly different purposes you're going to run into these situations..

I'm glad that the bureaucracy has painted themselves into a corner. It's not like you're asking for anything special, just do your job as the statutes require.

Sweet!

Edward Peruta

imported post

The Department of Public Safety has acknowledged that there are currently 146,573 active pistol permits and 13 Eligibility Certificates issued in Connecticut.

I applied for and received my Certificate of Eligibility in less than one week.

So now there are 14 active certificates and I expect others to make applications.

The certificate looks like a permit, uses the same picture and has a green banner instead of blue across the top.

There are several reason to make application for a certificate, one of which is the insurance factor if anything happens to my permit to carry.

Ed Peruta

GoldCoaster

imported post

I understand, and if you lose your permit to carry you won't have to find someone with a permit to sign over your firearms to until you get it back. Very handy indeed.

What is the rule on the safety class? I took mine a while back but the instruction sheet on the application you gave me doesn't mention how long the class cert is good for before it expires. In box G "Proof of training" it just gives you 3 boxes to check one of and the state instructors name and ID. Nothing about "attach a copy of a letter or certificate attesting that you have completed a course in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers signed by the pistol or revolver instructor - within the past 90 days"

Do you think I can use my old certificate of completion? it's almost a year old.

Robert

Edward Peruta

imported post

Goldcoaster,

I am looking at section G as I write this response, and see that there are no pulished time limits in the "G. Proof of Training" section of the most recent application. (DPS 799-C Revised 02/09)

I have not been made aware of any expiration rules or regulations on certificates.

Given the fact that your current certificate is fairly recent, I doubt you'll have any problems with it being accepted for permit and/or certificate purposes.

On another note, simple revocation of a permit to carry does not require an individual to transfer firearms to another unless the revocation is the result of a 29-38c at risk warrant , finding of guilt on one of the 11disqualifying felony or misdemeanor charges or a restraining/protective order being issued against you.

If you need more information on this, shoot me an email at edperuta@amcable.tv.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Thanks Ed,
I'll make copies of my originals and take them with me and also a copy of subsection G showing no time-limits when I make the trip to troop G for the eligibility certificate.

I'll tell you something, I never fail to learn something new when we have our "10 minute break" chats at the Elks.

Robert

Also check out this thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/26630.html
They are asking if you've heard back from the Sherriff in California.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Couple of things regarding the certificate of eligibility:

1. You have to go to Middletown to file the application and other paperwork. Even though the application says "Complete this form and submit to DPS, Division of State Police, pistol permit location along with the below:" same as all the other sections

The guy at Troop G looked at me like I had two heads and gave me a number to call.

I called this number and asked what the procedure was and he said I had to come to Middletown and file the forms and fingerprints M-F between 8:30-4:15 so I asked "even if I've already been fingerprinted?" and he said "For every license you get here you need a new set of fingerprints".

So I'm going to have to take a trip up to Middletown and do this in person there at some point, at least they have a fingerprinting station if they go nuts and insist on duplicate fingerprints.

Ed, what's your take on this? It sounds like the guy answering the phone has a standard line to give and won't deviate from the script.

Robert