• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post [et al.]: Moran scores unusual endorsement

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/GOVSGATER04_20090604-201001/271858

Moran blasted at Deeds just as a gun-rights group, OpenCarry.org, urged members to vote for Moran, claiming Deeds can't be trusted on gun issues.

OpenCarry.org criticized Deeds for urging compromise on closing a loophole that allows some gun purchases at firearms shows without buyer background checks.

Deeds had previously opposed tighter rules for gun-show purchases.

TFred

imported post

Mike wrote:
"anarchy politics"

Makes me laugh out loud. These liberal media folks sure have a short memory when it comes to cross-voting... and the fact that it is exactly that which was the cause of the Republicans having McCain forced on them.

At least we're being genuine in advocating the best candidate for this one issue.

TFred

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TFred wrote:
At least we're being genuine in advocating the best candidate for this one issue.

I agree - why vote for Deeds and reward him for shifting toward a frankly very anti-gun position - banning private sales. Only a few states ban private sales entirely or pick on gun shows, see map at http://www.opencarry.org/privatetransfers.html.

Deeds is way off course and headed further into a ravine.

I actually think Moran, **if elected in both primary and November elections,** will be more like Warner and less like Kaine - the word is that essentially all the NOVA Democrats wish this restaurant ban on concealed carry issue would just go away - we are only a couple votes away from veto override and my bet is moran would rather run for national office succesfully and would let a repeal bill become law, perhaps without his signature, even if it is to avoid the risk of an embarassing veto overide like just happenned in Tennessee.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

A little honesty would go a long way here:

Former bartender Moran voted against us on repealing the rest. ban last year. Deeds did vote to ban private sales but voted to repeal the restaurant ban. Former bartender Moran expressed support for ending private sales on wtop so voting for him would be supporting the "gun control trifecta"

I agree that McAuliffe is worst but it's Moran who is next worse

lfs

imported post

I agree, Moran is worse than Deeds. OCDO is being hoodwinked.

I just got a flier from Moran in the mail being very critical of Deeds support for carry in restaurants and for opposing the one handgun a month law. Moran is no supporter of the second amendment and is now trying to use it against Deeds.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lfs wrote:
I agree, Moran is worse than Deeds. OCDO is being hoodwinked.

I just got a flier from Moran in the mail being very critical of Deeds support for carry in restaurants and for opposing the one handgun a month law. Moran is no supporter of the second amendment and is now trying to use it against Deeds.
But we are engaged in strategic voting in this primary, not picking the final winner - and regardless, you want to reward Deeds for moving anti-gun and encourage others to follow?

Mr. Y

imported post

That is very short sighted. You have to consider the possibility that the candidate YOU endorse, AND encourage others to vote for may actually win. Also, you are rewarding former bartender Moran's bad stances on self defense.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
That is very short sighted. You have to consider the possibility that the candidate YOU endorse, AND encourage others to vote for may actually win. Also, you are rewarding former bartender Moran's bad stances on self defense.
That is a factor to consider, but #1, that risk is substantially outweighed by the accepted fact/view that McCauliffe would be worse. I have been looking at the so-called polls some more - the ones for mcCauliffe and deeds are very variable - Morans tend to be more steady - plus, dude, have you seen all the Moran fliers and signs in NOVA?? He is surging my friend, and taking back that flash in the pan spurt by deeds - moran's our man! Let's whip that horse and beat McCauliffe in a photo finish! Together we have power, divided we are just wing nuts without a guidance system.

I happen to believe that Moran will be more like Warner and either let a restaurant repeal bill become law, or signal to dems that overriding him is not important - we almost have enough Senate votes now to override kaine anyway.

The Donkey

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
Is there a recent poll on this race? I am going to vote Tuesday and I honestly don't care who wins and runs against Bob McDonnell, as long as his name is not McAuliffe.

The last survey by Public Policy Polling has Deeds winning the race with McAuliffe trailing withing the margin of error, and Moran trailing him.

The "poll of polls" -- which Mike conveniently ignores -- has Deeds winning and way ahead of Moran. See:

http://www.pollster.com/polls/va/09-va-gov-dempr.php?

I expect Deeds margin to increasewith the next PPP poll to be released at 11:00 PM tonight.

Mike is dead wrong on this: the only sound 2A vote in the primary is a vote for Deeds!

Mr. Y

imported post

Donkey r.... Donkey is Ri... Donkey rig.... He's corr...

Aw $hit. I just can't even type it! :p:p:p

I just came back from N/C and the Deeds signs are everywhere. Not a single Moran sign, or McAuliffe sign on US 1 all the way from 95 to 235. Not one. Or anywhere else along the way from OBX.

I happen to believe that Moran will be more like Warner and either let a restaurant repeal bill become law, or signal to dems that overriding him is not important - we almost have enough Senate votes now to override kaine anyway.

I just don't see any evidence to support this Mike, and I just cannot for the life of me understand what logic or reasoning you're using to come to this opinion. Moran has fought against the restaurant ban repeal and several other pro gun bills in committee & on the floor. Deeds has supported RKBA and but for missing outon VCDL's endorsement over school carry and doing a John Kerry Flip Flop on ending private sales of firearms, Deeds has the better record. In fact, Deeds has a better record even in spite of those problems. Let's reprhase;

You've said"you believe" and
I actually think Moran, **if elected in both primary and November elections,** will be more like Warner and less like Kaine
These are just assertions, opinion and suggestion. What evidence are you basing this on? What facts lead you to this conclusion.

The Donkey

imported post

Mike wrote:
. . . .- plus, dude, have you seen all the Moran fliers and signs in NOVA?? He is surging my friend, and taking back that flash in the pan spurt by deeds - moran's our man! . . . .
Latest PPP poll:

"Two days before the election Creigh Deeds has opened up a commanding lead in the Democratic primary for Governor of Virginia.

[align=left]Deeds is now at 40%, followed by Terry McAuliffe at 26% and Brian Moran at 24%. In the last week Deeds has gained 13 points while McAuliffe and Moran have each advanced by just two."

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_VA_6074983.pdf

Flash in the pan, eh Mike?

Uh, Mike . . . Mike:question:
[/align]

lfs

imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
I just don't see any evidence to support this Mike, and I just cannot for the life of me understand what logic or reasoning you're using to come to this opinion.  Moran has fought against the restaurant ban repeal and several other pro gun bills in committee & on the floor.   Deeds has supported RKBA and but for missing out on VCDL's endorsement over school carry and doing a John Kerry Flip Flop on ending private sales of firearms, Deeds has the better record.  In fact, Deeds has a better record even in spite of those problems.  Let's reprhase;

Deeds does have a better record.

Let's see, you have two candidates. One votes anti-gun when not running for governor, and one votes pro-gun when not running for governor. They both start acting funny when attempting to win an election -- that's bad for both of them. But when the election is over, which habit do you think they'll revert back to?

At the very least, if both candidates have issues then withhold an endorsement. Trying to play primary strategy just gets you into the mud with politicians.