• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I need to ID ?

Leader

imported post

I carry IWB exposed most of the time. My SuperTuck is just that comfortable and it allows me to cover if I REALLY don't want to take a chance of being delayed.

If I am out shopping and asked by a LEO for ID do I have to give it to him & tell him I have a CPL ?

Seems to me that if he got a MWAG call, a "reasonable person" saw the gun and figured out what it was.

Doesn't that place it under open carry & negate the requirement for ID and a CPL ?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Leader wrote:
I carry IWB exposed most of the time. My SuperTuck is just that comfortable and it allows me to cover if I REALLY don't want to take a chance of being delayed.

If I am out shopping and asked by a LEO for ID do I have to give it to him & tell him I have a CPL ?

Seems to me that if he got a  MWAG call, a "reasonable person" saw the gun and figured out what it was. 

Doesn't that place it under open carry & negate the requirement for ID and a CPL ?

Great question.

I don't think you do, but the courts have yet to decide if carrying IWB constitutes open carry.

On the safe side, I'd disclose/offer my CPL, though I doubt it's necessary, because as you say, a reasonable person can obviously tell you're carrying, that's why you have a 911-MWAG situation.

lechwe

imported post

Someone recently was cited for IWB without a CPL and was charged with concealing. He plead out so it did not go to court. My feeling is that it is concealed and I wouldn't take a chance on it being considered anything but. However, that is your choice. If you didn't produce ID they may try to get you for not disclosing and you may risk a CPL suspension.

Good luck

SQLtables

imported post

In my opinion, which means next to nothing, IWBs can be OC. What we really need to settle this, is a CPL holder to NOT disclose, and get charged and get a court decision. I carry this way sometimes, but haven't had a situation where I needed to disclose.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Leader wrote:

Seems to me that if he got a MWAG call, a "reasonable person" saw the gun and figured out what it was.

Another thing to consider is where you are at. If you are carrying under your CPL in a liquor store whether concealed or open you have to have ID and your CPL. So in that type of situation you would have to show ID.

As for walking down the street, that's a judgement call and would depend on the jurisdiction you are in. Some would argue that it's concealed and some wouldn't.

I would ask the officer why he is detaining me. If he states because of the gun, then I guess I wouldn't show ID as you don't have to for OC. Then take it from there. As long as you can get them to admit it's for the gun, or better yet a call from someone that saw your gun you have a pretty good argument that you were OCing.

The judge in the earlier case in regards to an IWB holster stated that a LEO was a TRAINED observer and not considered an average person, so them seeing a gun in an IWB holster may or may not fit what a reasonable person would consider open or concealed. That's why it's go to find out if a person saw your gun and called it in.

Leader

imported post

The judge in the earlier case in regards to an IWB holster stated that a LEO was a TRAINED observer and not considered an average person, so them seeing a gun in an IWB holster may or may not fit what a reasonable person would consider open or concealed. That's why it's go to find out if a person saw your gun and called it in.

Can I interpret that as the Judge saying the cop isn't a reasonable person?

:celebrate:question::p;)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Leader wrote:

Can I interpret that as the Judge saying the cop isn't a reasonable person?

:celebrate:question::p;)
Yes.