• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NNPD Town Hall Meeting

2a4all

imported post

When: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:00pm

Where: Colossian Baptist Church, 856 Old Ft.
Eustis Blvd, Newport News, VA

Captain Dawn Barber will host the meeting, and present the North Precinct Impact Certificate to individuals acknowledging their hard work and dedication in partnership with the NNPD.

Click for a map.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=N...7.177078&longitude=-76.529079&geocode=ADDRESS

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1) What is "the North Precinct Impact Certificate"?

2) Who are the"individuals... [who have engaged in]hard work... in partnership with the NNPD"?

and 3) Why did they do that?

stay safe.

skidmark

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the 25 years I've lived in VA I've read all the heartbreaking stories about how innocent citizens in the East End have been preyed on mercilessly by vicious criminals and gang-inspired psychopaths. Although I don't know all the details, I suspect the police have tried to do what they can, with only partial results. I know many citizens distrust the police and are fearful or reluctant to "rat on people". I know there have been numerous parades and candlelight vigils to symbolically help folks deal with the ongoing tragedy. What we've never seen is someone going in to "organize the community" so that honest citizens with no criminal past are encouraged to open carry/conceal carry regularly to see if that would deter the criminals from "owning the street". It might not be feasible or effective after all, but I think it would sure be worth a try, seeing as how all the other responses haven't done much to stop the decay.

2a4all

imported post

skidmark wrote:
1) What is "the North Precinct Impact Certificate"?

2) Who are the"individuals... [who have engaged in]hard work... in partnership with the NNPD"?

and 3) Why did they do that?

stay safe.

skidmark
I'm guessing that these questions will be answered at the meeting :)

I'm hoping Howard Gwynn's remarks will provide some insight into the city's crime problem. I don't think he'll be looking for armed volunteers to help solve it, though.