• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remember these? A tale of two hunting fatalities fall 2008

Stoked

imported post

If that seems unfair, consider the cover of the Winter 2009 enforcement bulletin, featuring a cadre of game cops outfitted with camo clothing and assault weapons, and define the message sent by that photograph. (Would you want that bunch checking your kid’s fishing license on opening day?)

Good article, Dave. I just want to take issue with the part quoted above. If you read the article inside, you'll note that the picture is of the WDFW's Marijauna grow eradication team. And thinking about it, it makes sense. Who else in law enforcement knows the backwoods, nooks and crannysas well as the wardens?

They received (per the article) specialized training on a federal grant to do their work. Ask anyone who's discovered a grow...The "farmers" are usually very well armed, not prone to asking questions, and enjoy booby-trapping their fields.

BTW, the comments you quoted were rather sickitating, but I'd expect no less from the sources. Internet commandos who'd rather hide behind their screensthan say their piece to a real hunter in the woods.

Dave Workman

imported post

Stoked:

The WDFW has problems right now with budget. When they should be looking for poachers and protecting wildlife, it would seem to me that eradicating marijuana would be pretty far down on the list and they could better leave that job to the WSP or the county sheriff, DEA...pick an outfit.

But that's just me talking

Stoked

imported post

If they're spending federal money (and who isn't these days?), I don't care.

I can't see WSP taking the time to learn the backwoods and fielding a team for MJ farmers when some counties, especially those to the east, won't even see a Trooper for days on end. They already field a meth lab team in addition to the rest of their investigative services bureau, and they're kept busy enough over here.

Ditto on the county guys- we're stretched thin enough over here. I've been camping in north-central Washington and waited nearly two hours for the sole on-duty deputy to respond to a 911 call.

As for the DEA, they can stay stay out, as far as I'm concerned.

Keep in mind, the article said this MJ group is operating solely in Eastern Wa.

Dave Workman

imported post

Well, this may sosund odd coming from me, but I don't care if they're operating solely in EW or just on Potholes res.
Game cops should be G-A-M-E cops. Period. End of story.

This photo raised a fair number of hackles among people who have had a hell of a time getting a game cop to respond to a poaching, cougar complaint, any number of problems. You think county sheriffs are stretched thin, game cops are stretched thinner.

And it genuinely pisses some people off to see the continued militarization, or para-militarization of civilian law enforcement.

WSP can learn the woods, they can get a frigging map, they can work in concert with county sheriffs deputies.

This is not a new problem. Years ago, I was working at Fishing & Hunting News and for a week I kept getting complaints from guys who had reported several gillnets abandoned in the Duwamish in Seattle, and fianlly, I called down to Olympia and got an enforcement guy on the phone and talked to him about it.
He said they were aware of the nets.
I told him that if the nets were not out of there by 5 that afternoon, they would be on the capitol steps at 9 a.m. the following morning, per what some of the angry anglers had told me, and that the press would be there.

SHAZZAMM! those nets were out of there by 3 o'clock.

I have no idea what the game guys had been doing that kept them from responding to a week's worth of complaints, but they stepped on it when they found out that this was about to blow up in their faces.

I have nothing against game wardens. Virtually all of my encounters have been pretty good, here and in other states. But that's because they were busy checking licenses, issuing citations to poachers and watching the resource, not out pulling dope grows.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I would think the WSP could do a lot more with grow ops by using aerial surveillance, GPS, co-ordsand then send in the team.

Dave Workman

imported post

44Brent wrote:
On a related topic, I would like to see if Mr. Workman would be willing towrite anarticle about reckless shooters dumping litter on DNR land and directly shooting at the path of other people.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/26355.html

Yeah, I would.

Provide me some details and maybe a contact person off list. That place looks like an accident waiting to happen.