• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Church holds Open Carry Service

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200906040540/NEWS01/906040362

Speaks for itself. The pastor wants them to only carry unloaded, however.

There are the usual illogical religious comments from the antis: " Jesus told us to put down the sword and pick up the cross." They conveniently forgot to mention that Jesus also famously said "If you don't have a sword, go sell your cloak and buy one".

Anyway, a unique event just the same..

Statesman

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200906040540/NEWS01/906040362

There are the usual illogical religious comments from the antis: " Jesus told us to put down the sword and pick up the cross." They conveniently forgot to mention that Jesus also famously said "If you don't have a sword, go sell your cloak and buy one".

Anyway, a unique event just the same..
Perhaps the antis didn't notice that Jesus said nothing about putting down our guns, just swords. Everyone knows Jesus carried a Kimber!

For the record, I am not mocking Jesus, I am mocking the antis, and just having a little fun. He will read this one day and judge me based on it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:

Yes, he also said:

"We're advocating gun safety and gun awareness."

I think it's a great idea to showcase OC. Very innovative. But I can't figure out why the "unloaded gun" condition is being encouraged.

Is there a legal prohibition to loaded open carry in Valley Station in a church? Or is Pastor Pagano making an effort to compromise to the sensibilities of the local antis and other church folks?

Looks like a winner of an idea to me.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:

I think it's a great idea to showcase OC. Very innovative. But I can't figure out why the "unloaded gun" condition is being encouraged.
My brother , retired cop , in Memphis volunteers at his church for security both OC &CC . This past Sunday the discussion of buying a shotgun to be always keeped in a safe unloaded was held . :what::uhoh::?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like to see my church do this; however, like a great many churches here in Louisiana, mine has a school. Louisiana has one of those dumb 1000 foot gun-free school zone laws, and there's no exception for churches or for non-school times.

I've been asked to help lead the singing at our Flag Day ceremony on June 14th; and I think I'll wear my empty holster to make a statement.

AB

imported post

While we are on the subject of church listen to the alert on this page:

http://defendchristians.org/news-and-articles/271-anti-christian-hostility-the-cause-of-more-church-violence

[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]
[line]
[/font]
"Petercarried a sword"John 18.10 NKJV
"Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus."

"Jesus tells the Apostles to arm themselves"Luke 22:36 NKJV
"And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?"

So they said, "Nothing."

Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

" As the builders worked they were armed" Nehemiah 4:17-18NKJV
17[/suP] Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon. 18[/suP] Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built. And the one who sounded the trumpet was beside me.

[line]

Early History - Laws that ordered weapons to church

Early American history tells a much different story about the acceptance of self defense than we are told today, early church goers were actually ordered to bring weapons to church, not justguns butswords as well.

In 1619 a Virginia statute required the carrying of arms to church, "and all such as bear arms shall bring their pieces, swords, powder and shot." ...Those failing to bring their guns were subject to a three shilling fine.... And again in 1632: "All men that are fitting to bear arms, shall bring their pieces to the church…" Also reaffirmed again, November 1738.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AB wrote:
Look at the church web-site:

http://www.newbethelchurchky.org/openCarryCelebration.htm

This is great, don't knock them for unloaded policy this is also a safety rally.

They will probablly have hands-on training, so in this case could be a lot of unexperienced carriers.

This is a great growth experience for this church.

Great Job, Pastor.
My mistake. I retract my previous statement. Still a neat event.

ntrngr

imported post

And now I'm thinking of a new movement:

What Would Jesus Carry? - WWJC

At first I thought maybe like an AMT Backup 45ACP. Nah, he's got Peter for that. (Big Bore, Loud Noise, Often Not Hitting The Mark but lots and lots of power for short range targets.)

Then I thought maybe a cheapie 22 auto, then I thought, no, he had Judas for that. (Often misfires or jams and will betray you when you most need it...)

Then I thought maybe a 12g Improved Cylinder pump with shory shells for 15 shots. Nah, The Apostle Paul filled that position. (Scatters everywhere hitting everything, reloads fast, maximum effectiveness, just keeps on shooting.)

Then I thought maybe he'd just carry a varmint rifle. But, no, he had John for that. (Went long distances and was super accurate and could take down targets that thought they were out of range.)

What do you think Jesus would carry?

Legba

imported post

AB wrote:
" As the builders worked they were armed" Nehemiah 4:17-18NKJV
17[/suP] Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon. 18[/suP] Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built. And the one who sounded the trumpet was beside me.

I'm reminded of my copy of the old Bolshevik civil war poster on the shop wall here: http://cgi.ebay.com/LARGE-SOVIET-ERA-POSTER---WORK-WITH-RIFLE-NEARBY-1920!!_W0QQitemZ150349411798QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090603?IMSfp=TL090603171003r26783.

What would Jesus carry? hmmm. A Galil, maybe?

-ljp

Flintlock

imported post

ntrngr wrote:
What do you think Jesus would carry?

galil-mar.jpg

Galil MAR 5.56mm, or Micro-Galil. The most modern Galil derivative.