• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wonder if we'd be so lucky...

FatboyCykes

imported post

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20090602/NEWS01/906020306

District Attorney General Jerry Woodall says he will not file criminal charges against the Madison County sheriff's deputy whose gun was discharged in a Jackson store last week. Advertisement Click Here! Quantcast Debra A. Bond, 46, was suspended for 10 days without pay after her 3-year-old grandson reached into her purse and accidentally discharged her .40-caliber Glock handgun Wednesday evening at the Goodwill Store at 1688 S. Highland Ave. The bullet struck the ceiling, and no one was injured. In a letter sent to Sheriff David Woolfork on Friday, Woodall stated, "It is my opinion that the officer's conduct was not reckless in that she was carrying the weapon in a manner that most women would carry a weapon and that being in her purse. The actions of the child, under ... supervision of Deputy Bond, are not so foreseeable as to arise to the level of criminal negligence as defined under Tennessee law." The Sheriff's Office conducted an internal investigation after the incident and charged Bond with a violation of department policy - failing to keep firearms or other weapons and ammunition safe and secure at all times - according to a news release from the Sheriff's Office. Bond waived her right to an administrative hearing and accepted a 10-day suspension without pay, Woolfork has said. Bond was off-duty when the incident occurred, but deputies are required to carry their guns at all times, according to department policy. Bond has been employed with the Sheriff's Office since March 2008. She completed basic training at the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy in August, receiving a satisfactory mark on firearms instruction and training. Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts. - Mariann Martin, 425-9782

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Wait a minute here,

She carried a glock in a purse without having anything guarding the trigger from being depressed!! She should have taken that hit in the leg to remind her everyday for the rest of her life how stupid of a move that was.

This is almost as good as the cop that shot himslef in the leg while playing show & tell with school-aged children.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Wait a minute here,

She carried a glock in a purse without having anything guarding the trigger from being depressed!!
Couldn't it have been in a holster?

Carrying a GLOCK with one in the pipe flopping around in a purse would be insanity... :what:

stephgrinage23

imported post

HankT wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Wait a minute here,

She carried a glock in a purse without having anything guarding the trigger from being depressed!!
Couldn't it have been in a holster?

Carrying a GLOCK with one in the pipe flopping around in a purse would be insanity... :what:
I was thinking the same thing!

This woman should THANK HER LUCKY STARS that her child, herself, and everyone else around escaped getting hit with that bullet! This could have been a very tragic event.

She would not have gotten off this way had she not been a LEO.

T Vance

imported post

I have a Glock 23 and use a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. Over the past few weeks I have finally started to carry with one in the chamber. I was not comfortable doing that at first because of the lack of safety that the Glock's are known for, but I am slowly getting over it.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I have a Glock 23 and use a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. Over the past few weeks I have finally started to carry with one in the chamber. I was not comfortable doing that at first because of the lack of safety that the Glock's are known for, but I am slowly getting over it.
I have the same setup T vance.

ghostrider

imported post

malignity wrote:
That's ironic. I was considering carrying my Glock .40 with one in the chamber, but were looking for safe ways to do so, and posted on the OC forums to see what my options are. Right now, I carry unchambered, for this very reason.

( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/26714.html ) for those who were wondering.
I've carried chambered since I've been carrying. Of course I'd already put a few thousand rounds down range with the weapon before I started carrying, and I'd been carrying around the house for some time. Glocks are safe weapons for someone who has a good foundation in firearms safety. Lots of people like to blame the lack of an external safety for ND's, rather than their failure to adhere to the four rules (mainly poor trigger finger discipline). I was in a gun store when a custome was asking about the Glocks lack of a external safety. I told him, "Just so you'll know, the gun is supposed to go off when you pull the trigger." He thought that was pretty funny, but also realized the meaning of the statement. If the gun is properly holstered, it won't matter if it's chambered or not. I find the main reason that people don't carry chambered is lack of self conficence that it usually overcome as the user gets more familiar with their weapon. OTOH, some people do have other reasons for not chambering a round (like small children crawling all over them).

If the four rules fail you, then it's probably a malfunctioning gun, and that isn't restricted to Glocks.

That said. You have to be comfortable and confident with your carry choice. If that means going unchambered, then it's your choice to make, and don't let anyone get you down for making it.

Veritas

imported post

malignity wrote:
That's ironic. I was considering carrying my Glock .40 with one in the chamber, but were looking for safe ways to do so, and posted on the OC forums to see what my options are. Right now, I carry unchambered, for this very reason.

( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/26714.html ) for those who were wondering.
This is the one of the primary reasons I went with a Smith & Wesson M&P with the magazine disconnect. I'm nearly always chambered... when I want to add that extra element of safety, I just slide the mag out about a half inch (or remove it completely). Obviously this is not advisable if you are carrying, as the mag can jiggle loose and fall. It's something I do when I'm not wearing my weapon... and even then, it's nearly always in the holster.

Whenever I'm storing my weapon in a bag, briefcase, backpack, etc, I leave one in the pipe and completely remove the magazine. This is common at the gym because they don't allow visible firearms on the premises so I have to be very aware of my surroundings and the sounds my weapon makes when I'm arming or disarming. The distinctive sound of pulling the slide back to chamber, or unchamber, a round would probably perk some ears; whereas simply sliding the magazine in or out of the well doesn't make much noise at all. The added benefit is that I don't have to unholster the weapon in order to make it inoperable.

autosurgeon

imported post

Most important rule..... keep the booger hook of da bangswitch!!! Also see addendum.. Keep the following off the bangsitch as well pens, pencils, keys, small children, snakes, lizards, lipsticks, chapsticks, rolls of pennies or dimes and toes!! Also always carry in a holster or container that shields the trigger!!

FatboyCykes

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Most important rule..... keep the booger hook of da bangswitch!!! Also see addendum.. Keep the following off the bangsitch as well pens, pencils, keys, small children, snakes, lizards, lipsticks, chapsticks, rolls of pennies or dimes and toes!! Also always carry in a holster or container that shields the trigger!!
finger_bangswitch.jpg

malignity

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
finger_bangswitch.jpg

Epic post.

SQLtables

imported post

Well, first of all, you should be VERY familiar with your firearm and the safety rules that apply to ALL firearms before you carry. As for carrying unchambered, I wouldn't every do it. Hopefully those of you that do, practice (unloaded, with snapcaps, etc..) drawing and chambering a round. That can cost very important seconds.

I used to be a bit nervous about the lack of an "external" safety, but quickly realized the gun won't go off without the trigger being pulled. I carry an XD, so it has a grip safety, but it's the same idea, there's no lever to flip, and if there were I wouldn't rely on it anyway. Safety's fail.

As for this lady, I don't care how she chooses to carry her firearm, but she should pay more attention to where she sets it down, and what her grandkids are doing around her purse with a loaded Glock in it.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I guess I should clarify my statement so I do not offend Glock Owners.

I am not ripping on Glocks at all, I was just ripping on the woman that had one floating aroundunholstered in her purse with nothing guarding the trigger from being depressed.
I have nothing against Glock pistols. Their design and safety system works as it should. But this leads them toneeding a properly designedholster to guard against the trigger being depressed inadvertently.

I own an XD-m, It has the same style trigger safety, and a beavertail safety too.and still no thumb-safety, it is nearly as point-shoot as a Glock and it could easily be negligently fired if not kept in a holster to guard prying little handsor a tube of chapstick causing an N-D in a purse.

SQLtables

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I guess I should clarify my statement so I do not offend Glock Owners.

I am not ripping on Glocks at all, I was just ripping on the woman that had one floating around unholstered in her purse with nothing guarding the trigger from being depressed.
I have nothing against Glock pistols. Their design and safety system works as it should. But this leads them to needing a properly designed holster to guard against the trigger being depressed inadvertently.

I own an XD-m, It has the same style trigger safety, and a beavertail safety too. and still no thumb-safety, it is nearly as point-shoot as a Glock and it could easily be negligently fired if not kept in a holster to guard prying little hands or a tube of chapstick causing an N-D in a purse.

You're right. As far as I know, we don't know if it was in a holster or not. The child may have pulled it out of a holster, or squeezed his hand into a nylon holster, or who knows what else. I see this as more of a case of neglect for the child than the gun. She should have known where both were and what both were doing.

CoonDog

imported post

Another example of an officer mishandling her weapon and a good reminder to secure your firearm. This was in the Public Safety section of the Farmington Observer yesterday, June 4, 2009. I couldn't find it online, so I'm typing it out:

Quote:

A Michigan State Police ID badge and a handgun were stolen from an unlocked vehicle while parked on the 29000 block of Minglewood Lane during the night of May 31. The rear windows were reportedly left down and the vehicle was not locked when someone ransacked the car and took a purse from the driver's seat floor.

End quote.

Note the MSP officer left her gun in an unlocked car with the windows down. WTF? :question::question::question::question::question::question: