Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Man charged with threat against Obama in Utah

  1. #1
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    Registered firearms???


    Man charged with threat against Obama in Utah


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/...s_obama_threat

    SALT LAKE CITY – Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.

    The Salt Lake Tribune reported on its Web site Thursday that Daniel James Murray allegedly made the remark to a teller at a bank in St. George on May 27 as he withdrew $13,000 from an account.

    Murray's whereabouts are unknown. A court affidavit says Murray is from New York and has recently been in California, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma and possibly Texas.

    The U.S. Secret Service says Murray has at least eight registered firearms, the Tribune reported.

    Malcolm Wiley, a spokesman for the Secret Service in Washington, told The Associated Press he had no comment Thursday.



  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , , Zimbabwe
    Posts
    114

    Post imported post

    CA, CT, HI, DC, Clark Co. NV...

  3. #3
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12520998

    Bank customer says he's 'on a mission to kill the president'; fed charges filed



    By Pamela Manson

    The Salt Lake Tribune


    Federal prosecutors on Thursday charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama for allegedly telling employees at a St. George bank that he is "on a mission" to kill the president.

    The Secret Service doesn't know where Daniel James Murray is; authorities say he has at least eight registered firearms. Court documents say he withdrew the $85,000 in his account last week at a Zion's First National Bank branch.

    A Secret Service affidavit says Murray opened the saving account at Zion's on May 19 with an $85,000 check from a credit union. A bank employee told agentsMurray asked her if Zion's was a solvent bank and talked about how the "mess" under Obama with the economy could end up in killings if people lose their money.

    Murray returned on May 27 and asked to withdraw about $13,000 in bills no larger than $50 and in nonsequential order, court documents say. He allegedly said, "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them, and it's a giant step for mankind ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen ... the banking system will fail and people will die ... there will be chaos in the world."

    Then, as a teller handed Murray his money, he allegedly said, "We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States."

    Murray returned the next day and withdrew the rest of his money, court documents
    say.


    Authorities say Murray drives a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York license plate ERL 1445.

    The Secret Service says the firearms registered to Murray include semi-automatic pistols and revolvers.






  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post


    OK, we know he is a goof.

    And we know he has guns.

    Will he become a goof with a gun?

    I hope not.




    Feds Search for Man Allegedly on 'Mission to Kill the President'
    A Warrant Has Been Issued for the Arrest of Daniel James Murray
    By JACK DATE
    June 4, 2009


    Federal authorities in Utah are searching for a man who allegedly made threats against President Obama.

    A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Daniel James Murray, who allegedly said he was part of a mission to kill the president, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Salt Lake City told ABC News. Murray is believed to have access to firearms.

    Murray entered Zion's First National Bank in St. George, Utah on May 19, to open a savings account with an $85,000 check, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Salt Lake City today.

    Murray allegedly asked if the bank was solvent and then stated, according to the complaint, "With all this mess going on under President Obama with banks and the economy, I'm sure if citizens happen to lose their money, they will rise up and we could see killing and deaths."

    On May 27, the complaint states, Murray came back to withdraw $12,698 from his savings account. He did not have proper identification and was told he needed it to complete the transaction. He allegedly said, "Not to be disrespectful, but if I don't get this money, someone is going to die."

    The bank manager allowed the transaction, and Murray allegedly demanded bills smaller than $50 in non-sequential order.

    Murray then said, "We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States," according to the complaint.

    Murray told the teller during that visit, the complaint added, "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them, and it's a giant step for mankind. ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen. ... The banking system will fail and people will die. ... There will be chaos in the world."

    The next day, according to the complaint, Murray withdrew the remaining $72,000 and closed his account.



    Murray's location is unknown, the complaint said. He is believed to be driving a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates that read "ERL 1445," and are registered in his name. Murray originally is from New York, but he has recently been in California, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma and possibly Texas.

    "There are at least eight firearms registered to Murray, ranging from semi-automatic pistols to revolvers, some capable of carrying 15 pounds of ammunition and easy to conceal," the complaint said.

    A Secret Service spokesman said there will be no further comment on the case because it involves protective intelligence.

    "This is one of a gazillion cases, " the spokesman told ABC News. "It's not that out of the ordinary. We see this day in and day out."

    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story...620&page=1



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    my question is HOW do the feds know that he has "eight guns"? Does Utah have registration?

  6. #6
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    suntzu wrote:
    my question is HOW do the feds know that he has "eight guns"? Does Utah have registration?
    Because he is from the police state New York, not Utah. He just happened to be in Southern Utah when he withdrew the money.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , , Zimbabwe
    Posts
    114

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    OK, we know he is a goof.
    speak for yourself sockpuppet just because we elected one doesnt make yo not a goof

  8. #8
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    Wow. New York shares its' gun registration information with the feds. I wonder if the feds had to ask, or if all NY info is already in an FBI database.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  9. #9
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    buster81 wrote:
    Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.
    The more I read about this, the more it bothers me that he has been charged with a crime, but they have not even aressted him yet! :X
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    Wow. New York shares its' gun registration information with the feds. I wonder if the feds had to ask, or if all NY info is already in an FBI database.
    yet another reason to never live in NY.....

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    OK, we know he is a goof.

    And we know he has guns.

    Will he become a goof with a gun?

    I hope not.
    And you know this how? If you don't know the individual, then the only information you have is exactly what you are being told by the media--and we all know how the media likes to demonize people and things for ratings don't we?

    Just because the news says it-does not make it true, and just because the government claims it does not make it true either...remember the people are supposed to be INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY....although it never works like that.

  12. #12
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.
    The more I read about this, the more it bothers me that he has been charged with a crime, but they have not even aressted him yet! :X
    I don't know the statute language, that's the key, but if this goofball's behavior crosses the line, then I have no trouble with him being charged and arrested. Doesn't bother me. At least, not yet.

    Shouldn't be too hard to find a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates, so this should get resolved rather quickly. I've got a hunch that ole Daniel James Murraywill provide some entertaining quotes for us all.

  13. #13
    Regular Member CrossFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Irving, Texas, USA
    Posts
    408

    Post imported post

    15 pounds of ammunition?:what:Where do I get a gun like that?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washoe County, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    256

    Post imported post

    It probably said "15 rounds of ammo" but the liberal editors changed it for greater effect. As we all know, it's not a "good" gun story unless it scares the crap out of the general population.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    CrossFire wrote:
    15 pounds of ammunition?:what:Where do I get a gun like that?
    He probably got this one, using "gun show loophole" and from the same "unlicensed dealer" that sells full auto AKs and fragmentation grenades to mexican drug gangs at gun shows...

  16. #16
    Regular Member CrossFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Irving, Texas, USA
    Posts
    408

    Post imported post

    Chaingun81 wrote:
    CrossFire wrote:
    15 pounds of ammunition?:what:Where do I get a gun like that?
    He probably got this one, using "gun show loophole" and from the same "unlicensed dealer" that sells full auto AKs and fragmentation grenades to mexican drug gangs at gun shows...
    Sweet, you guys in VA get the coolest toys.

  17. #17
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    SGT Jensen wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.
    The more I read about this, the more it bothers me that he has been charged with a crime, but they have not even aressted him yet! :X
    I don't know the statute language, that's the key, but if this goofball's behavior crosses the line, then I have no trouble with him being charged and arrested. Doesn't bother me. At least, not yet.
    So if I called the SS, told them that you came intomy bank to make a large withdrawl, mentioned that you stated that youwished to kill the president, and they charged you with a crime, ALL before ever seeing your face or hearing the threat... you'd be cool with that?

    By all means, investigate to ensure that this goof is not going to somehow magically penetrate the iron curtain of the SS, but to charge somebody with a federal crime on a bank tellers word seem a bit extreme to me.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  18. #18
    Regular Member CrossFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Irving, Texas, USA
    Posts
    408

    Post imported post

    Probably a lot of hoop-la about nothing. Pro assassins do not usually talk about their intended hits in public prior to the action.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    CrossFire wrote:
    Chaingun81 wrote:
    CrossFire wrote:
    15 pounds of ammunition?:what:Where do I get a gun like that?
    He probably got this one, using "gun show loophole" and from the same "unlicensed dealer" that sells full auto AKs and fragmentation grenades to mexican drug gangs at gun shows...
    Sweet, you guys in VA get the coolest toys.
    I was being sarcastic and I just got this pic off google . I wish we could buy things like that, but no such luck...

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates, so this should get resolved rather quickly."

    "I've got a hunch that ole Daniel James Murraywill provide some entertaining quotes for us all.
    Uh, the man has $85,000 dollars in his pocket. If he's smart enough to manage to save $85k I bet he's smart enough to GET ANOTHER VEHICLE.

    ...I have a hunch that you are correct!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    On May 27, the complaint states, Murray came back to withdraw $12,698 from his savings account. He did not have proper identification and was told he needed it to complete the transaction. He allegedly said, "Not to be disrespectful, but if I don't get this money, someone is going to die."

    Why wasn't there aleady a criminal complaint against him for this, apart from the question of threatening the president? Not only did he get his money, sans ID, but was welcomed back the next day, at which time he mentioned his "mission" in the courseof making another withdrawal. Only then did the teller identify a possible problem, apparently.

    -ljp


  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    If the man said what he is alleged to have said, or even most of it I agree with HankT that he is a goof.

    Could they maybe have gone ahead and charged him because it gives them some increased ability legally to do things to find him? Any LEOs or attys that can answer that?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    1.] Hear say .

    2.] Whereare the photographs of him from friends, family , career...

    3.] Where are their statenents

    4.] Where are the medical records

    5.] What is the purpose of story without any facts

    PRELOG : none story without follow up

  24. #24
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    ntrngr wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates, so this should get resolved rather quickly."

    "I've got a hunch that ole Daniel James Murraywill provide some entertaining quotes for us all.
    Uh, the man has $85,000 dollars in his pocket. If he's smart enough to manage to save $85k I bet he's smart enough to GET ANOTHER VEHICLE.

    ...I have a hunch that you are correct!
    Well, they've located Mr. Goof.

    I can hardly wait for the quotes of his wisdom!

    Feds Arrest Man on 'Mission to Kill the President'
    Feds Nab Threat Suspect Daniel David Murray at Nevada Casino
    By JACK DATE and PIERRE THOMAS
    June 6, 2009


    A man being sought by the Secret Service for theats against the president has been arrested.

    Daniel James Murray was arrested at a casino in Laughlin, Nev., Friday without incident by federal and local authorities....

    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story...961&page=1

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    What is it with fugitives going to casinos? McCoy, the "highway sniper" here in Ohio was found in Vegas. hmmm...

    -ljp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •