• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man charged with threat against Obama in Utah

buster81

imported post

Registered firearms???

Man charged with threat against Obama in Utah
ap_logo_106.png

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_threat

SALT LAKE CITY – Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.

The Salt Lake Tribune reported on its Web site Thursday that Daniel James Murray allegedly made the remark to a teller at a bank in St. George on May 27 as he withdrew $13,000 from an account.

Murray's whereabouts are unknown. A court affidavit says Murray is from New York and has recently been in California, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma and possibly Texas.

The U.S. Secret Service says Murray has at least eight registered firearms, the Tribune reported.

Malcolm Wiley, a spokesman for the Secret Service in Washington, told The Associated Press he had no comment Thursday.

buster81

imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12520998

Bank customer says he's 'on a mission to kill the president'; fed charges filed

By Pamela Manson

The Salt Lake Tribune

Federal prosecutors on Thursday charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama for allegedly telling employees at a St. George bank that he is "on a mission" to kill the president.

The Secret Service doesn't know where Daniel James Murray is; authorities say he has at least eight registered firearms. Court documents say he withdrew the $85,000 in his account last week at a Zion's First National Bank branch.

A Secret Service affidavit says Murray opened the saving account at Zion's on May 19 with an $85,000 check from a credit union. A bank employee told agents Murray asked her if Zion's was a solvent bank and talked about how the "mess" under Obama with the economy could end up in killings if people lose their money.

Murray returned on May 27 and asked to withdraw about $13,000 in bills no larger than $50 and in nonsequential order, court documents say. He allegedly said, "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them, and it's a giant step for mankind ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen ... the banking system will fail and people will die ... there will be chaos in the world."

Then, as a teller handed Murray his money, he allegedly said, "We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States."

Murray returned the next day and withdrew the rest of his money, court documents
say.

Authorities say Murray drives a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York license plate ERL 1445.

The Secret Service says the firearms registered to Murray include semi-automatic pistols and revolvers.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OK, we know he is a goof.

And we know he has guns.

Will he become a goof with a gun?

I hope not.

Feds Search for Man Allegedly on 'Mission to Kill the President'
A Warrant Has Been Issued for the Arrest of Daniel James Murray
By JACK DATE
June 4, 2009

Federal authorities in Utah are searching for a man who allegedly made threats against President Obama.

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Daniel James Murray, who allegedly said he was part of a mission to kill the president, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Salt Lake City told ABC News. Murray is believed to have access to firearms.

Murray entered Zion's First National Bank in St. George, Utah on May 19, to open a savings account with an $85,000 check, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Salt Lake City today.

Murray allegedly asked if the bank was solvent and then stated, according to the complaint, "With all this mess going on under President Obama with banks and the economy, I'm sure if citizens happen to lose their money, they will rise up and we could see killing and deaths."

On May 27, the complaint states, Murray came back to withdraw $12,698 from his savings account. He did not have proper identification and was told he needed it to complete the transaction. He allegedly said, "Not to be disrespectful, but if I don't get this money, someone is going to die."

The bank manager allowed the transaction, and Murray allegedly demanded bills smaller than $50 in non-sequential order.

Murray then said, "We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States," according to the complaint.

Murray told the teller during that visit, the complaint added, "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and moon, and the eagle that flies between them, and it's a giant step for mankind. ... I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen. ... The banking system will fail and people will die. ... There will be chaos in the world."

The next day, according to the complaint, Murray withdrew the remaining $72,000 and closed his account.

Murray's location is unknown, the complaint said. He is believed to be driving a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates that read "ERL 1445," and are registered in his name. Murray originally is from New York, but he has recently been in California, Utah, Georgia, Oklahoma and possibly Texas.

"There are at least eight firearms registered to Murray, ranging from semi-automatic pistols to revolvers, some capable of carrying 15 pounds of ammunition and easy to conceal," the complaint said.

A Secret Service spokesman said there will be no further comment on the case because it involves protective intelligence.

"This is one of a gazillion cases, " the spokesman told ABC News. "It's not that out of the ordinary. We see this day in and day out."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7761620&page=1

suntzu

imported post

my question is HOW do the feds know that he has "eight guns"? Does Utah have registration?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

suntzu wrote:
my question is HOW do the feds know that he has "eight guns"? Does Utah have registration?
Because he is from the police state New York, not Utah. He just happened to be in Southern Utah when he withdrew the money.

Thundar

imported post

Wow. New York shares its' gun registration information with the feds. I wonder if the feds had to ask, or if all NY info is already in an FBI database.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.
The more I read about this, the more it bothers me that he has been charged with a crime, but they have not even aressted him yet! :X

suntzu

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Wow. New York shares its' gun registration information with the feds. I wonder if the feds had to ask, or if all NY info is already in an FBI database.
yet another reason to never live in NY.....

suntzu

imported post

HankT wrote:
OK, we know he is a goof.

And we know he has guns.

Will he become a goof with a gun?

I hope not.
And you know this how? If you don't know the individual, then the only information you have is exactly what you are being told by the media--and we all know how the media likes to demonize people and things for ratings don't we?

Just because the news says it-does not make it true, and just because the government claims it does not make it true either...remember the people are supposed to be INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY....although it never works like that.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Federal prosecutors have charged a man with making threats against President Barack Obama after he allegedly told a bank employee in Utah he was on a mission to kill the president.
The more I read about this, the more it bothers me that he has been charged with a crime, but they have not even aressted him yet! :X

I don't know the statute language, that's the key, but if this goofball's behavior crosses the line, then I have no trouble with him being charged and arrested. Doesn't bother me. At least, not yet.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates, so this should get resolved rather quickly. I've got a hunch that ole Daniel James Murraywill provide some entertaining quotes for us all.

wayneco

imported post

It probably said "15 rounds of ammo" but the liberal editors changed it for greater effect. As we all know, it's not a "good" gun story unless it scares the crap out of the general population.

Chaingun81

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
15 pounds of ammunition?:what:Where do I get a gun like that?
He probably got this one, using "gun show loophole" and from the same "unlicensed dealer" that sells full auto AKs and fragmentation grenades to mexican drug gangs at gun shows...

CrossFire

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
He probably got this one, using "gun show loophole" and from the same "unlicensed dealer" that sells full auto AKs and fragmentation grenades to mexican drug gangs at gun shows...
Sweet, you guys in VA get the coolest toys.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
buster81 wrote:

I don't know the statute language, that's the key, but if this goofball's behavior crosses the line, then I have no trouble with him being charged and arrested. Doesn't bother me. At least, not yet.

So if I called the SS, told them that you came intomy bank to make a large withdrawl, mentioned that you stated that youwished to kill the president, and they charged you with a crime, ALL before ever seeing your face or hearing the threat... you'd be cool with that?

By all means, investigate to ensure that this goof is not going to somehow magically penetrate the iron curtain of the SS, but to charge somebody with a federal crime on a bank tellers word seem a bit extreme to me.

CrossFire

imported post

Probably a lot of hoop-la about nothing. Pro assassins do not usually talk about their intended hits in public prior to the action.

Chaingun81

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
Sweet, you guys in VA get the coolest toys.
I was being sarcastic and I just got this pic off google :lol:. I wish we could buy things like that, but no such luck...

ntrngr

imported post

HankT wrote:
Shouldn't be too hard to find a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York plates, so this should get resolved rather quickly."

"I've got a hunch that ole Daniel James Murraywill provide some entertaining quotes for us all.
Uh, the man has $85,000 dollars in his pocket. If he's smart enough to manage to save $85k I bet he's smart enough to GET ANOTHER VEHICLE.

...I have a hunch that you are correct!