Thread: Clallum county park sign.

Post imported post

See line #3.

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Also, read the bottom line. "If you see a violation in progress...." So give them a call and report the sign violation.

Post imported post

Their actual code, 23.03.090, seems to be in compliance with pre emption. By their wording of "use" it seems that this only restricts the discharge and not possession of a firearm.

23.03.090 Firearms and hunting.
    (1) Hunting or the use of firearms, bow and arrow, air or gas weapon, or other projectile devices capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any park property is prohibited with the following exceptions:
    (a) Dungeness hunting area which is leased to Department of Wildlife and designated open to hunting in accordance with general hunting regulations and special park area regulations.
    (b) Firearms used by law enforcement officers in performance of their duties.
    (c) Firearms used in exhibitions authorized by the Park Director.
    (d) Firearms or projectile devices authorized for use by the public on designated shooting ranges.
    (2) No persons shall hunt on or at the Clallam County park known as Dungeness Recreation Area except on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during hunting season and in compliance with Washington State Department of Wildlife and Clallam County regulations.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

yes, but the sign clearly states "firearms are prohibited", thus being in violation of preemption due to its misleading verbage.

edited for clarification
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

bugly wrote:
    yes, but the sign clearly states "firearms are prohibited", thus being in violation of preemption due to its misleading verbage.

edited for clarification
    No. The sign is not the municipal code. It is a reference, poorly worded but still just a reference, to the actual code that does not restrict the possession of firearms. We can request that the sign be changed to reflect their actual code but it is not in violation of preemption.

I hear what you are saying, and am only disagreeing because of the wording of the preemption statute, but since their county ordinance is within the law it needs to be "asked" of them to change their sign to accurately reflect the law as written.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Earlier this year I provided the Clallam Co Parks Dept. with a complete report on all signage, rules, publications and web site statements that are not in compliance with the pre-emption statute. They are cooperative and changes are being made. I will be monitoring their progress and also discussing the County ordinances with the Prosecuting Attorney.

Post imported post

good job, the signage should be at least understandable by anyone walking up to it and reading it. there should be no question as to what is meant and nothing misleading in the wording.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

UPDATE, I rode through the park again today. I stopped to check out the sign again. Someone taped over some of the words on the sign in the three weeks since I took the other picture.

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

That made me laugh.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Tape works. Plus, it's a whole bunch of tax dollars cheaper than a new sign.

Post imported post

Bonus points for both fixing the sign and doing so in a way that saves the taxpayers a little money!