• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clallum county park sign.

jeeper1

imported post

See line #3.
camerapics6409031.jpg

Trigger Dr

imported post

Also, read the bottom line. "If you see a violation in progress...." So give them a call and report the sign violation.:cool:

joeroket

imported post

Their actual code, 23.03.090, seems to be in compliance with pre emption. By their wording of "use" it seems that this only restricts the discharge and not possession of a firearm.

23.03.090 Firearms and hunting.
(1) Hunting or the use of firearms, bow and arrow, air or gas weapon, or other projectile devices capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying any park property is prohibited with the following exceptions:
(a) Dungeness hunting area which is leased to Department of Wildlife and designated open to hunting in accordance with general hunting regulations and special park area regulations.
(b) Firearms used by law enforcement officers in performance of their duties.
(c) Firearms used in exhibitions authorized by the Park Director.
(d) Firearms or projectile devices authorized for use by the public on designated shooting ranges.
(2) No persons shall hunt on or at the Clallam County park known as Dungeness Recreation Area except on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during hunting season and in compliance with Washington State Department of Wildlife and Clallam County regulations.

bugly

imported post

yes, but the sign clearly states "firearms are prohibited", thus being in violation of preemption due to its misleading verbage.

edited for clarification

joeroket

imported post

bugly wrote:
yes, but the sign clearly states "firearms are prohibited", thus being in violation of preemption due to its misleading verbage.

edited for clarification
No. The sign is not the municipal code. It is a reference, poorly worded but still just a reference, to the actual code that does not restrict the possession of firearms. We can request that the sign be changed to reflect their actual code but it is not in violation of preemption.

I hear what you are saying, and am only disagreeing because of the wording of the preemption statute, but since their county ordinance is within the law it needs to be "asked" of them to change their sign to accurately reflect the law as written.

LibertyNut

imported post

Earlier this year I provided the Clallam Co Parks Dept. with a complete report on all signage, rules, publications and web site statements that are not in compliance with the pre-emption statute. They are cooperative and changes are being made. I will be monitoring their progress and also discussing the County ordinances with the Prosecuting Attorney.

bugly

imported post

good job, the signage should be at least understandable by anyone walking up to it and reading it. there should be no question as to what is meant and nothing misleading in the wording.

jeeper1

imported post

UPDATE, I rode through the park again today. I stopped to check out the sign again. Someone taped over some of the words on the sign in the three weeks since I took the other picture.
011_1.jpg