• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Five year grant of privilege to exercise right

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Well, CT has granted me a five year privilege to exercise my "right to bear arms in defense of [my]self and the state."

Comparing resident process in CT
to resident process in NH.

NH
I can exercise my right to bear arms (acquire and open carry) without permission.
Not having used/owned guns for years, I take the NRA basic pistol course (not required) - $25.00.
Handgun and ammunition bought the next day with just a 4473 filled out.
12-ga shotgun and .22LR rifle and ammunition for both bought day after that with just 4473 filled out.
Next day sent concealed carry license app to police department with $10.00 fee - return receipt requested.
Took guns to range to practice and sight in.
14 days after police receipt of app, picked up concealed carry license - just a 3x5 flimsy paper form - good until fourth birthday after issuance. This allows for concealed carry and loaded carry in a vehicle.

CT
NRA basic pistol course - $110 (cheapest I found at the time). Required because NH course was more than 1 year ago?!?!?
Submitted application, birth certificate, CT driver license, $35.00 money order and course completion certificate to Meriden PD. Received receipt.
Took receipt and money order for $19.25 (FBI fingerprint fee) to desk sergeant, detective came out and took me in for fingerprints.
Six weeks later detective came to house to do a "residency check." (They want to make sure I live where I said I live.)
Three weeks later I get a letter in the mail (residency check?!?!?) stating my temporary license is ready.
Go to DPS in Middletown with temporary permit, CT driver license, birth certificate and $35.00 money order and get five year card with color and black&white photographs granting me the privilege to exercise my right to acquire, bear and use arms in the state of CT.

gluegun

imported post

The high cost of the class is partially due to the CT requirement of a DPS approved course. It's basic supply and demand and in this state demand is artificially inflated by the CT requirement.

The residency check is not required by state law. It's just one of the ridiculous policies required by your local law enforcement.

Most of the difference is CT is may issue and NH is shall issue. As I said in another thread:
The statute does not define what criteria the local authority may use to deny a temporary permit. This fact alone makes us a "may issue." While in practice CT may be "shall issue," if it's left up to the arbitrary policies and personal politics of the local issuing authority it can never be considered "shall issue."

In addition to that, because of a judges ruling, the time limits defined in the statute are directory provisions and therefore not mandatory. This means that even though the local authority is explicitly directed to respond within 8 weeks, and the DPS is explicitly required to respond within 8 weeks after that, they can take as long as they want.
We could alleviate much of the problems with the permitting process simply by moving to a shall issue state and removing the local PD from the picture completely by geting rid of the temporary permit. This would drop the cost of getting a permit by $35 and speed up the process by at least 3 weeks.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Every state has its good points and bad points. There must have been some fairly good reason to make you leave the great state of NH and move to CT.
Whatever the reason you are here now, and the process for your carry permit is complete!!!
Instead of celebrating crossing the finish line, you instead decide that you need to post the differences between your old state and your new state! Thus BASHING the state that you now live in.
If CT is such a bad place then forget whatever made you move here in the first place and head back to NH!!
If you decide to stay, then fight against what you think is an infringement of your freedoms in CT, however if you just wish to bash CT then we don't need or want you here.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

goinveg wrote:

14 days after police receipt of app, picked up concealed carry license - just a 3x5 flimsy paper form

Hey, well at least we have some ballertastic, shiny, plastic permits. :p That's where all that money goes.

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
Every state has its good points and bad points. There must have been some fairly good reason to make you leave the great state of NH and move to CT.
Whatever the reason you are here now, and the process for your carry permit is complete!!!
Instead of celebrating crossing the finish line, you instead decide that you need to post the differences between your old state and your new state! Thus BASHING the state that you now live in.
If CT is such a bad place then forget whatever made you move here in the first place and head back to NH!!
If you decide to stay, then fight against what you think is an infringement of your freedoms in CT, however if you just wish to bash CT then we don't need or want you here.
Not bashing, just showing the differences and giving CT gun owners a target to shoot for - pun intended. Also, I am in CT because I became disabled and my wife wanted to be near family.

If we were in the same room having this same conversation would you have accused me of bashing CT? I have a thick skin and have been on many forums so it doesn't bother me that you jumped down my throat like that.

I have read some of your posts on here and I find you a decent person. Since I don't have the history here that you have I can understand you having reservations about the "new guy" but try to learn a little before telling me to go back where I came from.

Also, I went to the second CCDL meeting to meet folks and introduce myself. (For those who were there - I was in the outback hat with the beard and the cane.) I didn't stay for the meeting and until the organization gets going I will probably not attend meetings. The reason for that is that I am not a Robert's Rules kind of guy so structured meetings do not appeal to me. I will support the organization by telling others I meet about it. I will participate in that I will pass on any info I hear to the group - about things affecting CT gun owners - that the group may not have heard.

So, until we meet in person, Lover, have a great day and I hope you can make some changes in how Stratford PD treats folks who want to get a permit.

As an aside, the process I went through in Meriden was much smoother than I expected. There were no raised eyebrows nor any questions as to why I would want a permit. The desk sergeant knew exactly where the applications were when I asked. The records folks were helpful in what I needed to do next. The "residency check" was just that - the detective rang the bell, looked at me, looked at the copy of my DL and said "Yep, it looks like you. Have a good day," and left.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

goinveg wrote:
THE LOVER wrote:
Not bashing, just showing the differences and giving CT gun owners a target to shoot for - pun intended. Also, I am in CT because I became disabled and my wife wanted to be near family.

If we were in the same room having this same conversation would you have accused me of bashing CT? I have a thick skin and have been on many forums so it doesn't bother me that you jumped down my throat like that.

I have read some of your posts on here and I find you a decent person. Since I don't have the history here that you have I can understand you having reservations about the "new guy" but try to learn a little before telling me to go back where I came from.

Also, I went to the second CCDL meeting to meet folks and introduce myself. (For those who were there - I was in the outback hat with the beard and the cane.) I didn't stay for the meeting and until the organization gets going I will probably not attend meetings. The reason for that is that I am not a Robert's Rules kind of guy so structured meetings do not appeal to me. I will support the organization by telling others I meet about it. I will participate in that I will pass on any info I hear to the group - about things affecting CT gun owners - that the group may not have heard.

So, until we meet in person, Lover, have a great day and I hope you can make some changes in how Stratford PD treats folks who want to get a permit.

As an aside, the process I went through in Meriden was much smoother than I expected. There were no raised eyebrows nor any questions as to why I would want a permit. The desk sergeant knew exactly where the applications were when I asked. The records folks were helpful in what I needed to do next. The "residency check" was just that - the detective rang the bell, looked at me, looked at the copy of my DL and said "Yep, it looks like you. Have a good day," and left.

goinveg,

I hope that you understand that there are many threads out here that are started by people livingin CT that come from other states that bash CT!!! That is why I responded the way I did.

As a resident of CT and someone fighting for our gun rights here, I have a big problem with people that do not wish to be part of the solution in the state that they live.

I thank you for attending one of our meetings and spreading the word about us. We need all gun owners involved. I hope tomeet you at one of our meetings or one of our future promotional outings, whether it be a gun show or maybe a picnic.

I too am not a Roberts Rules kind of guy, but this is the way the organization is being run and we will get use to it, with the end results being the pay off.

Soon we will haveour bylaws completed and we will be ready to take on the real business of the organization, FIGHTING FOR ALL OUR GUN RIGHTS!!

goinveg I wish you a great day and I really look forward to meeting you in person!