• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN HB 0898 passes

should off duty or retired LE be entitled to carry a firearm in places where any other ordinary citi

• 1. Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suntzu

imported post

So they can be trusted to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol--but now an entire city in Tennessee is trying to find a way to prohibit the ordinary citizen from doing so?

You should not have to be wearing a uniform in order to carry a gun.

they are no more trustworthy than anyone else. They should not be entitled to any special favors or conditions.

I am sorry HB 0898 passed--please call the governor and ask him to veto it.

Jared

imported post

Im confused. Tennessee just passed restaurant/bar carry. The veto override passed both the house and senate. TN HCP holders will now be able to carry in these places, not just people carrying under LEOSA.

suntzu

imported post

yes, Tn just passed a restaurant carry law--but if Nashville is successful and finds a way around the new law--then so will every other city in the state--which means the law is useless.

It isn't over simply because the legislature over rode the Governors veto--because the gun haters and the Constitution haters are going to try and find a way around it.

suntzu

imported post

Jared wrote:
Im confused. Tennessee just passed restaurant/bar carry. The veto override passed both the house and senate. TN HCP holders will now be able to carry in these places, not just people carrying under LEOSA.
The thing is the double standard of it--Nashville is trying to find a loophole so they can still restrict guns in restaurants that serve alcohol--but on the other hand they would welcome people under LEOSA....you should not have to wear a uniform to carry a gun.

Jared

imported post

What do you mean? The bill clearly says carry is ok with an HCP and provided that you do not drink. Unless a restaurant decides to post the place off limits, what else can nashville do???

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll never get it. The restaraunt owners that don't want guns in their businesses will flop all over the place like a fish out of water screaming "But we don't want guns in our businesses!"...... but they won't put signs in their windows.

They already have the power to forbid carrying on their property, why do they not use it?

falcon1

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
I'll never get it. The restaraunt owners that don't want guns in their businesses will flop all over the place like a fish out of water screaming "But we don't want guns in our businesses!"...... but they won't put signs in their windows.

They already have the power to forbid carrying on their property, why do they not use it?
Sorry for not answering sooner, been away at Boy Scout summer camp for a week...I think it is this--before now, they have always had the law shielding them ("Hey, folks, it's not up to me, it's against the law"). Now, they do not have that shield, and they must fish or cut bait. If they post, they will lose business, and they don't like that. OMO, YMMV.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

falcon1 wrote:
Dispatcher wrote:

Sorry for not answering sooner, been away at Boy Scout summer camp for a week...I think it is this--before now, they have always had the law shielding them ("Hey, folks, it's not up to me, it's against the law"). Now, they do not have that shield, and they must fish or cut bait. If they post, they will lose business, and they don't like that. OMO, YMMV.

I believe you're right falcon. No one wants to take responsibility for their own decisions. Now it's time for them to pony up and do for themselves.

I don't know that they'll lose all that much business if they post signs. Unless, they start experiencing an increase in violant crimes, while the non-posted restaraunts don't.