• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Microstamping Legislation Hearing

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Go to 5.28.09 "Committee on Criminal Justice" Part 1 and listen to the snake oil salesman and the Police Chief for Oregon give his B.S. about what is going to happen 20 years in the future.

They won't admit it,but it is nothing more than the start of firearms registration. :cuss:

http://wisconsineye.org/wisEye_programming/ARCHIVES-asm_committee09.html#

This is the fine Milwaukee legislator that is pushing this.

http://www.milwaukeeworld.com/blog/2007/04/rep-young-tax-delinquent-faces.html

Wonder how much the snake oil salesman is contributing to him.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Leon Young is an idiot! For someone who was a police officer for 7 years he cannot even name the equipment used for crime scene investigation. Micro stamping will not do anything to decrease crime. It is only a step towards gun registration.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He got the police job only because of who auntie and great -auntie were.

The Milwaukee cops testifyingwere an insult to law abiding citizens. They testified that they know the gun store that accounts for most of the guns used in Milwaukee crime and that straw purchases occur there, but they don't do anything about it.

Hey Flynn....ENFORCE THE LAW....

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've contacted my representatives and will be meeting with one of them before this thing gets passed. He's opposed to it as well. I will be discussing proposals of new legislation with him also.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

microstamping is the dumbest idea i have ever heard of..
its like putting tape over the doors instead of deadbolts.

and seeing as they manufacture drugs and whatnot themselves; whats stopping them from reloading unmarked ammo?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why don't these damned knuckleheads try microstamping their heads for a start. Then we can see how effective it is at stopping idiocy.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are as of now 1100petition signing activists. If each one of them, especially the Milwaukeeresidents, would contact their legislators and letthem know theirviews it would beeffective.

Itwould be even more effective if the legislators were made aware that they willhave aconstituent that will be working foror against them.

Find them and their email here

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Flipper wrote:
They won't admit it,but it is nothing more than the start of firearms registration.
I agree completely that it's a stupid and wasteful idea, but how is it the start of firearms registration? Wouldn't the serial number already on the guns be more of a start for registration?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Flipper wrote:
They won't admit it,but it is nothing more than the start of firearms registration.
I agree completely that it's a stupid and wasteful idea, but how is it the start of firearms registration? Wouldn't the serial number already on the guns be more of a start for registration?

Watch the hearing video.
The math:
Yourgun + identifyingalpa-numbericid + your name + state and national law enforcement database=gun registration.

Semi-auto handguns now, then wheel guns, then the evil black rifles and AKs, then hunting rifles and shotguns.

You are aware that Wisconsin does not have a system of gun registration with serial numbers matched to your name?

Seriously, if you have not watched the hearing, do so. You canopen itup in a separate window while you are doing the internet thing.

For me the best part was when the self proclaimed "expert" Milwaukee police department armorer andsquat (intendential)squad"counter sniper"said how difficult it was,even foran expert like him toremove thepin and ejector from a gun.

He was immediately followed by a guy whodid justthat with aBic pen in 2 -3 minutes, with him being followed by a legislator who said that that shehad alsodone the samething earlier in theday.

One last point. If yourgun is identified through a casing and and as a result is involved inainvestigation, it most likely will berequired to begiven to the police and retainedin aevidence locker until the crime is adjunicated.Ifthis isnotan issue with you,then you willnot have to be concerned after this goes into place abouttaking your brasswith youwhenever you shoot.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I've already watched most of the hearing, but as far as I'm concerned there already is gun registration for all sales that aren't private sales. They can trace back who purchased a gun from a dealer. This bill adds nothing new to that aspect.

It's amazing how ignorant they are about how "hard it is" to change a firing pin and other technical aspects. The one Milwaukee cop doesn't even know the term for a "primer" even though he says he's carried a gun for 25 years. And yes, they should have crime lab tool mark and firearms examiners there to testify. Not cops. The cops aren't experts on whether the technology is reliable or easily defeated.

I haven't finished the long video, but I'm waiting for someone to ask how many crimes have been solved by this technology. One? None???

Considering the majority of guns used in crimes are stolen, even under the best of circumstances, this technology would be rarely of good use. So what? You've traced the weapon used back to a stolen gun. Crime solved? Not!

The one guy tried to compare it to fingerprints. Well, compare how hard it is to "steal" fingerprints-- or to plant fingerprints on a crime scene-- with the difficulty of stealing a firearm or planting empty cases on a crime scene. They never addressed how they would deal with a reloaded cartridge with multiple microstampings. It is waste of time and money project.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I've already watched most of the hearing, but as far as I'm concerned there already is gun registration for all sales that aren't private sales. They can trace back who purchased a gun from a dealer. This bill adds nothing new to that aspect.

It's amazing how ignorant they are about how "hard it is" to change a firing pin and other technical aspects. The one Milwaukee cop doesn't even know the term for a "primer" even though he says he's carried a gun for 25 years. And yes, they should have crime lab tool mark and firearms examiners there to testify. Not cops. The cops aren't experts on whether the technology is reliable or easily defeated.

I haven't finished the long video, but I'm waiting for someone to ask how many crimes have been solved by this technology. One? None???

Considering the majority of guns used in crimes are stolen, even under the best of circumstances, this technology would be rarely of good use. So what? You've traced the weapon used back to a stolen gun. Crime solved? Not!

The one guy tried to compare it to fingerprints. Well, compare how hard it is to "steal" fingerprints-- or to plant fingerprints on a crime scene-- with the difficulty of stealing a firearm or planting empty cases on a crime scene. They never addressed how they would deal with a reloaded cartridge with multiple microstampings. It is waste of time and money project.
Exactly Right

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
That's it right there! Why do people think this will be effective?

Even if it's not stolen and it is registered to you just pick up your brass or use a revolver. If you really want to be lazy use this.

123.jpg

103.jpg

I just gave three examples of how to circumvent this law in as many minutes. Just goes to show you how effective the excellent piece of legislation will be :banghead:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Anybody with a smidgen of know-how could go to Farm and Fleet or Home Depot and walk out within ten minutes with the materials needed to make a working firearm. Years ago I put together a crude but functional single shot 12 ga. shotgun for about $1.50.

If I had added microstamping it probably would have doubled the cost. :p