• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attorney says fatal shooting of J.D. Edwards was self-defense

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

As reported, this seems to be a clear case of self-defense.Williams was approached by an angry guy with a gun.

Not that great of a hit ratio, though.... 4:20. But at least Williams was prepared with thebackup magazine.

June 5, 2009

[font="Times New Roman, serif"]Attorney says fatal shooting of J.D. Edwards was self-defense[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, serif"]
By RICK YENCER
[/font]
MUNCIE -- George T. Williams claims he acted in self-defense in last week's wild shoot-out in the Industry neighborhood that left another Muncie man dead.

Williams, 34, held his head up Thursday in Delaware Circuit Court 2, awaiting arraignment before Judge Richard Dailey as his friends and family -- along with relatives of slaying victim James "J.D." Edwards -- looked on.

The May 26 mid-day shooting spree, near Willard and Hackley streets, resulted in the death of 30-year-old Edwards and the slight wounding of Camisha R. Wilkerson, 21.

Williams was formally charged with murder, which carries a standard 55-year prison term, and criminal recklessness, a Class C felony with a standard four-year sentence.

Williams listened to the charges, and appeared confused by the criminal recklessness count, which Dailey had to explain to him.

The judge entered not-guilty pleas on Williams' behalf in the absence of defense attorney Louis Denney, and set trial for Oct. 19. Williams continues to be held without bond in the Delaware County jail.

During a later interview, Denney said the case was obviously one of self-defense, given that Edwards, a convicted cocaine dealer, was also armed and shot at his client.

Williams told police that he began shooting, after exchanging angry words with Wilkerson, as Edwards approached him with a gun, according to a probable cause affidavit. Wilkerson was also reportedly armed.

The defendant told police he did not know whether he or Edwards had fired the first shot. He acknowledged he emptied his 9-mm handgun's 10-bullet magazine in firing at Edwards, then reloaded and fired 10 more times.

Edwards was hit by four bullets, two in the upper back, according to an autopsy.

Some witnesses said Edwards had a gun and pointed it at Williams before the defendant pulled out his own weapon and opened fire.

The victim's family declined to comment after Thursday's hearing, as did Williams' mother and other family members.

James Lawson, pastor of Terrestrial Temple Church of God in Christ, sat in the courtroom, and offered few answers afterwards about continued violence in inner city neighborhoods.

"Several pastors are working to encourage these young men to think about what happens when they do these things," said Lawson. "You not only destroy that family, but they destroy their own family."

Edwards' death was Muncie's fourth homicide in nine weeks.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20090605/NEWS01/906050335

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting reading. Thank you, HankT.

Muncie where? Indiana? Any other Muncies around?

It helps a bit to know where things happened. Since the press frequently cannot seem to include the location, perhaps we could all try to include it in our introductory text right before quoting the article.

I know I have been tripped up by city names in stories out of Washington State and New York that were the same as other cities/towns where I have friends, family, etc. Of course, it usually sorted out as I read the story; but it would have beennice to know the full location going into the story.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Interesting reading. Thank you, HankT.

Muncie where? Indiana? Any other Muncies around?

It helps a bit to know where things happened. Since the press frequently cannot seem to include the location, perhaps we could all try to include it in our introductory text right before quoting the article.

.... Of course, it usually sorted out as I read the story; but it would have beennice to know the full location going into the story.

So, Citizen, you sorted it out, you answered the question in your mind, that you believe others would have too.....and you don't share theanswerin your post about the benefits of answering the question up front and the detriments of not doing so?

LOL.

It's always amazing to me how we think...always amazing...

Whaddya think of the case, Citizen? Self defense? Too many shots? Too many misses? What say you?

PT111

imported post

Sounds like a shootout at high noon and the best shot won rather than the quickest draw. Need some details on the innocent by-stander that got slightly injured. Actually sounds like if the shooter gets convicted we will have two less thugs on the street but let's not jump to conclusions. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
So, Citizen, you sorted it out, you answered the question in your mind, that you believe others would have too.....and you don't share theanswerin your post about the benefits of answering the question up front and the detriments of not doing so?

LOL.

Whaddya think of the case, Citizen? Self defense? Too many shots? Too many misses? What say you?

Huh?

I'm not following you.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I dont know the whole story, but I finda fewthings disturbing. The fact that 2 magazines were emptied, indicates an untrained carrier. Was this person legally able to carry? Was it a case of 2 criminals meeting on the street? The other is the deceased was shot in the back. Was he trying to run away? They indicate witnesses, were any of them in danger, did anyone call the police? I re-read the article several times and did not get a lot of information from it.

I did get that I need to get to the range again. Its been over a year since I've gone and I need to make sure I can still hit the barn.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:

LOL.

Huh?

I'm not following you.
Good! Why would you want to?

I would like to know more details. As reported, we are led to believe that the GG dumped 20rds, rapidly. Only 4 hit, and 2 in the back.

I want to know more about what made him feel the need to deplete his entire ammo supply. When faced with an Angry MWAG situation, I'd be a little cautions about running out of ammo. I'd want my shots to count.

Apparently, they did. And, understandably, one may not have that kind of discretion "in the moment."

But where did the other 16 go? That is a bit scary, and I hope I'm not the only one who practices hitting my target, AND missing everything else... "What will happen if this shot misses?" I sometimes imagine my target is surrounded by things I DON'T want to hit. Am I good enough to still take the shot? Hasn't ever parent considered the "my kids is being taken" scenario? Can I hit the BG and miss my own child?

It does bring to mind the oft-neglected aspect of caliber selection; how many in the mag? I doubt any pistol cartridge makes an instant drop with COM hits. Head shot? And Miss? 8rnds .45 (1911)? 16rnds 9mm (Ruger P89)? That's a lot of holes, no matter how you measure it... Maybe having more ammo is worth the smaller size?

Had the GG been using my Taurus PT1911, that's is a chance that he may have ALL missed. 8rnds per mag. 2x mags... 16 shots. That's how many he MISSED. All his ammo used up, and an Angry MWAG untouched.

I used to carry a Ruger P89 w/ 4 16rnd mags. Overkill? This guy needed it. But, honestly, I really, REALLY hope I don't have his hit/miss ratio. Not just because it would mean that I suck, a lot. But think of where those other rounds could go...

Gun Control means hitting your target??