• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. Customs wants your - KNIFE!

spy1

imported post

(Caught this one over on LeeAnn's site: http://www.2asisters.org/ ). Thanks, LeeAnn!)

by Evan F. Nappen, Esq.

June 4, 2009

Beware! That folding knife in your pocket may turn you into a criminal if the Obama administration gets its way. Although there has been a lot of fear and speculation that the new administration wants to take your guns, the most pressing threat now is actually to your pocket knives. With the changing of the guard at U.S. Customs, that agency has now embarked on redefining "switchblades" under federal law to include a wide variety of one hand opening knives that never were intended to be prohibited. In fact, many of the knives U.S. Customs now seek to prohibit under the Federal Switchblade Law had not even been invented at the time of its enactment! Furthermore, four previous U.S. Customs ruling letters (prior administrations) specifically determined "assisted opening" knives not to be defined as switchblades.

This new proposed U.S. Customs regulation is so broad that thousands of pocket knives will fall under its sweep and millions of knife owners will be affected. The problem is not simply that imports will be banned (which is bad enough), but that the "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law enforcement to determine what a "switchblade" is under both federal and state laws. Many states, including New Hampshire, fail to define switchblades and simply rely on the federal definition.

Luckily, the two premiere knife organizations in the US, American Knife and Tool Institute (AKTI) and Kniferights.org, are fighting hard on this issue, but they both need your immediate help. Customs is attempting to jam this new regulation though at record speed.

As stated on the http://www.kniferights.org website:

U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives its broad definition could also easily be interpreted to include one-handed opening knives and even most other pocket knives.

Note that customs interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. The effect is NOT limited to just imports.

As stated on the http://www.akti.org website:

URGENT NEWS - U.S. Customs Proposal would characterize assisted-openers as switchblade knives and jeopardize all pocket knives. On behalf of the entire sporting knife industry and knife owners across the country, AKTI will be filing an official response to U.S. Customs.

This is the biggest threat to American knife owners in U.S. history. AKTI informs us that this "Customs' proposal will make criminal out of 35.6 million Americans."

AKTI further states:

U.S. Customs proposes to bypass Congress and expand the switchblade definition to include all knives that open with one hand. These include multi-tools, traditional pocket knives, one-hand openers, and assisted-openers.

More than 35.6 million law-abiding Americans now own one-hand-opening knives in one of the above four categories.

The U.S. Customs proposed new rule and the four prior letters they want to overturn can be read in their entirety here: http://www.akti.org/PDFS/U.S.CustomsProposedRuling.pdf

AKTI suggests that to register your opposition to the U.S. Customs'plan (19 CFR Part 177) to re-classify assisted openers and all folding knives; address your comments by June 21, 2009, to:

19 CFR Part 177
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of International Trade, Regulations and Rulings
Attention: Intellectual Property and Restricted Merchandise Branch
Mint Annex, 799 Ninth St. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

==============================

Followed by this (which I found here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066113 ):

-----Forwarded Message-----
Sent: May 31, 2009 4:00 PM
To: mailto:members@kniferights.org
Cc: mailto:sritter@kniferights.org
Subject: Proposed U.S Rule Could Make Many Pocketknives Illegal

PROPOSED U.S. RULE WOULD MAKE MANY POCKETKNIVES ILLEGAL

This email is just a heads up to Knife Rights members and supporters about a very critical and important development that jeopardizes your right to own and carry pocket knives. PLEASE DO NOT ACT YET! Word is reaching the street via forums and other means and we want to make sure the true facts are known as there are many inaccurate rumors circulating. Many of the emails we have received are inaccurate or full of hyperbole. Any knee jerk or inappropriate reaction will endanger our cause, not help it. Please wait until your organization has developed appropriate and effective responses in order that you are taken seriously by the relevant authorities. I cannot overemphasize how critical this is, DO NOT WRITE YET, PLEASE!

Now, on to the issue:

U.S. Customs just about a week ago proposed revoking earlier rulings and years of precedence that assisted opening knives are not switchblades; that, in and of itself is bad enough. However, the proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new interpretation of what is a switchblade (automatic) knife could also easily be interpreted to include all one-handed opening knives and even most other pocket knives. All knife owners could be impacted by this ill-conceived change to existing policy. We will have much more information on the historical issues and the like in coming days as we organize our response.

Please note that Customs' interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. The effect is NOT limited to just imports. This would be a devastating blow to our rights and to the entire knife making community. It has the potential to make criminals of millions of law-abiding citizens and put thousands of workers on the street. This is no joke, this is not just hype, and this is the real thing.

Knife Rights, in cooperation with AKTI and the affected knife manufacturers, is formulating a well-reasoned and effective response. We will all be asking for an extension to the ridiculously short 30-day comment period. We anticipate that some extension will be granted, hopefully for a meaningful period. Part of the reason for the extension is to allow us to adequately inform and advise the millions of knife owners who might be affected. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND JUST YET. This would be extremely counterproductive. We still have plenty of time to do this right and stop this travesty, but we must proceed intelligently and at the correct time with the best possible arguments. DO NOT JUMP THE GUN!

Within the next week we will post a sample letter and talking points for your use. At that time we will ask you to write and MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD! Please, do not respond earlier, it will be extremely counterproductive.

In the meantime, we are making the full 63 page document available to you to read for yourself. Again, while we understand your frustration, please do not write just yet.
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Cust ... Knives.pdf

This is the reason why Knife Rights exists; this is why we formed the organization. We didn't know where or how the attack would come, but we knew it was only a matter of time. We are here for you and will keep you informed.

Doug Ritter
mailto:dritter@KnifeRights.org

Have you signed up? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your right to own and carry knives and tools

==============================

Stand by for further updates - if you haven't done it before, submitting "Comments" on proposed "regulation" changes can be quite difficult. I'll try to walk you through it. P

ntrngr

imported post

spy1 wrote:
(Caught this one over on LeeAnn's site: http://www.2asisters.org/ ). Thanks, LeeAnn!)

by Evan F. Nappen, Esq.

June 4, 2009

Beware! That folding knife in your pocket may turn you into a criminal if the Obama administration...
A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. Knife, Gun, Money, Liberty. If you got it, they want it!

-NR

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How totally friggin' ridiculous!!!! Every pocket knife I carry, although none are assisted opening, are designed to be opened with one hand. I buy those types because my pocket knives are used for utilitarian purposes and I frequently only have one hand available when I need it. Next they are going to mandate that pliers, screwdrivers and hammers are all required to be designed for 2 handed use. Stupid friggin' gov't #*$#(!#@s.

paramedic70002

imported post

Ban the assault blades! I'll bet somewhere there is a university ramping up to prove that these evil black blades are responsible for most knife attacks, along with, of course, cheap blades, and multi-blade systems (sound familiar).

I say flush the whole stupid law. Who gives a rip if someone has a switch blade (industry term: automatic knife). From what I've read, the whole business came about because certain street gangs in the 50s and 60s (think West Side Story) fancied them. Suddenly they were the criminal's weapon of choice and had to be banned. Then and only then would the criminals reform themselves, and murders come to a screeching halt. Yeah that worked.

Barnett3006

imported post

WTF.......

How does U.S. Customs get any say in controlling things that are already INSIDE the country? I ask out of ignorance and hope that someone can explain this to me, cuz I don' get it.

Absolute lunacy, I swear.....

bugly

imported post

More smoke and mirrors to keep us occupied with stuff that just plain makes us mad, while the REAL agenda is going full speed ahead without notice?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Ban the assault blades! I'll bet somewhere there is a university ramping up to prove that these evil black blades are responsible for most knife attacks, along with, of course, cheap blades, and multi-blade systems (sound familiar).

I say flush the whole stupid law. Who gives a rip if someone has a switch blade (industry term: automatic knife). From what I've read, the whole business came about because certain street gangs in the 50s and 60s (think West Side Story) fancied them. Suddenly they were the criminal's weapon of choice and had to be banned. Then and only then would the criminals reform themselves, and murders come to a screeching halt. Yeah that worked.

Yes, there is a whole variety of stupid laws out there that I call "fad laws". There is a movie or some cultural event. Then some headline hunting politician says "there ought to be a law". The MSM support it, and other politicians across the country get into a feeding frenzy.

That is how we got concealed carry laws (anti black and anti immigrant feeding frenzies", most of the drug laws, the switchblade bans (west side story) and the nunchucks bans (Bruce Lee movies).

They should all be done away with.

bugly

imported post

You know, honestly, it would be ok with me if the Darwin effect worked the way it was supposed to, unfortunately, those prone to Darwinism take others out with them or in their stead...

headhunter09

imported post

Lol at fixed blades, i already carry a fixed blade on my weak side along with my 1911 on my strong side lol. I would love to see them try to take away fixed blade knives now! Im sorry but i think the whole government needs to just be gotten rid of and start fresh with REAL people that care about our rights and this country, nuff said.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

headhunter09 wrote:
Lol at fixed blades, i already carry a fixed blade on my weak side along with my 1911 on my strong side lol. I would love to see them try to take away fixed blade knives now! Im sorry but i think the whole government needs to just be gotten rid of and start fresh with REAL people that care about our rights and this country, nuff said.
Ever heard of a place called England? Can't carry a folder or a fixed blade there.

Could it happen here in the Land of the Free? Yes, if we let it. :cuss:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ixtow wrote:
When are we going to start banning "Assault Government?"
I like that. I'll have to use that some time.
Oh, yeah!!

Just shorten it down a bit. "Assault govs".

"53 million people were killed by assault govs in the 20th century."

"183 people were assault gov victims at Waco."

"Assault gov crime is on the rise asno-knock home invasions increase across the country."

This could be fun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ixtow wrote:
When are we going to start banning "Assault Government?"
I like that. I'll have to use that some time.
Oh, yeah!!

Just shorten it down a bit. "Assault govs".

"53 million people were killed by assault govs in the 20th century."

"183 people were assault gov victims at Waco."

"Assault gov crime is on the rise asno-knock home invasions increase across the country."

This could be fun.
The irony in how appropriate it is strikes so many times I lose count...

compmanio365

imported post

Zed Snardbody wrote:
Oh this is rich. Customs wants to bad knives and the TSA is preparing to allow them again.
Just another example of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, and the right one not giving a damn. If you want something completely, totally, F'd up beyond all recognition, call in the .GOV.