• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is this so hard to understand?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Why is this so hard for many of you to understand.
YOU DO NOT NEED PERMISSION TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Just do it!

Don't Call
Don't send a letter
Don't ask
Don't be afraid to exercise your rights
Don't be irresponsible

Do act in a mature normal manner.
Do look for signs posted "No Firearms"
Do be polite when some one asks why you are open carrying
Do follow and know the current laws regarding firearms
Do enjoy your god given rights

Never unholster except to load/unload and clear or to defend your life or the life of another. No exceptions!

Doesn't get any easier than that

If you call they could say NO!

If you send a letter they will write you back and then you have it in writing that they said, NO!

If you ask before you go in they will say NO!

You should not be afraid to do something that is legal and your right to do, that is just ridiculous.

Stop and think before you do anything and ask yourself if you are a mature and responsible individual. If you can answer yes then by all means open carry. If not then leave it at home so you do not make the rest of us look bad and interfere with this freedom of rights movement.

If you open Carry be mature and act normal. The only person that knows this is your first time is you, so do not make it obvious.

Look for signs that maybe posted before entering any business to save yourself the hassle. If you are asked to leave then do so immediately, with out question.

If someone asks you why you open carry be honest and tell them. Be polite and help them too understand. They may be interested in open carrying themselves and what you say may be the deciding factor.

Try to at least be familiar with the state laws concerning firearms and the safe handling of firearms for your safety and the safety of others.

This is your God given right. Given too you by our fore fathers and fought for by thousand of veterans, many who lost their lives in the fight. So when you OC do it with honor and do it to honor those who gave you the right to do so.

There does not have to be any special plans, picnics or rally just do it!

BE PROUD YOU ARE AN AMERICAN!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're absolutely right. I think it just comes down to the fact that first time carriers think they're being polite by asking. That and they don't realize that if there are no signs posted that you must be asked to leave before any action can be taken.

I've been doing it for a little while now and most of the time nobody even notices! I wear a full size 1911 and most people don't notice or don't care. Most anyone else will assume you're a cop.

If you are asked to leave drop what you are doing and walk out. If you engage him in conversation or argue with him after he asks you to leave it can be construed as non-compliance.

Follow J.Gleason's post and you'll be fine.

Sajuuk

imported post

I feel bad now because of the time I emaileda movie theaterasking their policy. :uhoh: Fortunately it was positive, the reply stating that they follow state and local laws. And when I went, there was no incident.

Good post, though. Hopefully it'll inspire more to get out there and exercise their rights.

:celebrate

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Although I am glad to see that at least they are asking questions and not just taking action with out knowing. We don't need any more stones thrown at us from the anti gunners

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

hello is it not OC if u wear a shoulder holster above clothes ?
Grey area.

Avoid grey areas.

If someone saw it, than one would think, that in and of itself indicates its NOT concealled.

However, knowing the propensity of armed government agents to try to nail you for anything they can whenever they can, i personally would avoid grey areas. (then again, my good friend Jesus does not) ;) ymmv

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

uncledrew23 wrote:
hello is it not OC if u wear a shoulder holster above clothes ?
I know, I know, I posted this in another post but here goes.

Some would argue that if you have a brand name shoulder holster the straps that go around your shoulders are very visible and in turn do bring attention to the holster and fire arm therefore, making the fire arm more visible as well.
One could argue that while carrying a holster on your hip your arm could potentially cover the fire arm therefore concealing it in the same manner that a shoulder holster would conceal it.
My advice to you is to try it out and see if you are comfortable with it just do not cover it up with a coat or jacket.
Not walking around with your hands in the air does not constitute concealing the fire arm.
There is no specific rule that the fire arm has to be carried on your hip.
I have personally carried with both types of holsters.
I found the shoulder holsters the hardest to get used too.

smithman

imported post

To go back to the original post.

Carry often. NEVER ask permission; said permission will not be given. Your rights do not need to be excused or allowed, they need to be exercised.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sajuuk wrote:
I feel bad now because of the time I emaileda movie theaterasking their policy. :uhoh: Fortunately it was positive, the reply stating that they follow state and local laws. And when I went, there was no incident.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with calling ahead and checking out the policy. Just as there is nothing wrong intrinscally with simply (after knowing the applicable laws) doing it.

Depends on the circumstances, risks, and evaluations of same.

To say "NEVER ask for permission" is spinning it in a direction that is not necessarily productive.

Use your judgment on when, where and how to carry. Or not to carry.

Pal

imported post

:celebrateI totally agree with this topic. Why can you just do it, instead of keeep asking the P. D./sheriff's dept. to see if it's OK to do.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Sajuuk wrote:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with calling ahead and checking out the policy. Just as there is nothing wrong intrinscally with simply (after knowing the applicable laws) doing it.

Depends on the circumstances, risks, and evaluations of same.

To say "NEVER ask for permission" is spinning it in a direction that is not necessarily productive.

Use your judgment on when, where and how to carry. Or not to carry.
The problem is, if the business does not have a policy on fire arms, calling them and questioning them about it will more than likely make them create a policy. I would much rather show up at the business in person. If nothing is said and I am free to go about my business the so be it.

If the business and it's employees become offended by my fire arm and ask me to leave, that is great too, I just won't patronize their business any longer.

Just like the businessman doesn't have to ask my permission to send me his sales paper in the mail, why should I ask permission from him to exercise my rights?

I do not feel I have to ask anyone's permission to do something that is legal.

If I ask every business owner in town if I can open carry in their place of business and they all say NO, then what?

Stop exercising my rights because business has over ruled the Constitution?

Not a chance.

Just do it!

Molon labe!
Carry On!

ConfederateSoul

imported post

I can agree to the point of not asking to exercise a right. I also agree with exercising caution as to being very aware of where you are and what you are doing. Things like attitude, body language and what your hands are doing are very important in how people percieve you. In my instance where I had a incident with the WPD, my attitude and behavior went a long way towards alleviating any fears my arresting officer had that I was up to no good. Conversly, if you are pissed off at work/life/your wife or what have you, probably better to leave the gun in the car so no one thinks you are there to bust the joint up,lol. Just my .02