Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: My Reply Letter To Best Buy

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    On June 4, 2009, I was in The Best Buy store #1052 in Plover Wisconsin. I was in the store for only a few minutes when a Best Buy employee approached me, informed me that Best Buy has a policy restricting firearms in the store, and requested that I leave the firearm in my vehicle in the future. Given recent events, where criminals are stealing firearms from parked police vehicles, leaving my firearm in an unattended vehicle poses a greater risk to public safety than carrying it, holstered, on my person.
    Wisconsin citizens, like those in over forty (40) other states, have had the right to openly carry holstered firearms for many years, and there is not a single documented case of a holstered firearm discharging much less harming another individual.

    As an IT manager for a local fortune 100 company, I have used Best Buy as a resource for many of my employers IT needs in the past. However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.

    Sincerely,

    Any thoughts before I email/snail-mail this?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    Pointman wrote:
    Instead of using the negative of not continuing business with them, perhaps state you'd like to work with them in forming an understanding so you can continue doing business with them.

    ---
    bnh: Thanks for your effort!
    Thanks for that point of view, I'll wait to get some input from others, and then work up a version 2.0.

    As I have stated many times, ALL points of view are important, it is how I learn.

  4. #4
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    Numbers help.

    Any idea how much you have spent there?

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    Instead of using the negative of not continuing business with them, perhaps state you'd like to work with them in forming an understanding so you can continue doing business with them.

    Yes, I agree. Offer them an opportunity.
    However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.
    Instead, a little flattery something like "Best Buy has always been a valuable resource for many of my needs, personally and professionally as an IT manager. I hope to continue to patronize your establishment but as a matter of practice and principle will be unable to do so in light of this stated policy. Can you confirm that Best Buy has a no-firearms policy?" I would like to verify before I pass along this information to our on-line gun-rights community which has thousands of members. If this is not Best Buy's official policy please let me know asap as I and thousands of members of our gun rights organization would like to patronize establishements who support the rights of law-abiding citizens.




  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    77

    Post imported post

    hugh jarmis wrote:
    Instead of using the negative of not continuing business with them, perhaps state you'd like to work with them in forming an understanding so you can continue doing business with them.

    Yes, I agree. Offer them an opportunity.
    However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.
    Instead, a little flattery something like "Best Buy has always been a valuable resource for many of my needs, personally and professionally as an IT manager. I hope to continue to patronize your establishment but as a matter of practice and principle will be unable to do so in light of this stated policy. Can you confirm that Best Buy has a no-firearms policy?" I would like to verify before I pass along this information to our on-line gun-rights community which has thousands of members. If this is not Best Buy's official policy please let me know asap as I and thousands of members of our gun rights organization would like to patronize establishements who support the rights of law-abiding citizens.


    OOooohhhh....That's good!

  7. #7
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    Numbers help.

    Any idea how much you have spent there?
    I agree. Money talks. These are for profit businesses. And everyone needs every bit they can in this economy.

    Also, anyone know how many members there are nationally on Opencarry.org?

    I always throw that in there when I make my case so that retailers know, (and I act like I'm being courteous by passing along the info) that we have THOUSANDS of members.

    I'll have to ask Mike how many members are here.

    But it really makes them think if you say "as a courtesy I will inform our 5,000 members nationwide your companies anti-gun policy"

  8. #8
    Regular Member Smurfologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    536

    Post imported post

    bnhcomputing wrote:
    On June 4, 2009, I was in The Best Buy store #1052 in Plover Wisconsin. I was in the store for only a few minutes when a Best Buy employee approached me, informed me that Best Buy has a policy restricting firearms in the store, and requested that I leave the firearm in my vehicle in the future. Given recent events, where criminals are stealing firearms from parked police vehicles, leaving my firearm in an unattended vehicle poses a greater risk to public safety than carrying it, holstered, on my person.
    Wisconsin citizens, like those in over forty (40) other states, have had the right to openly carry holstered firearms for many years, and there is not a single documented case of a holstered firearm discharging much less harming another individual.

    As an IT manager for a local fortune 100 company, I have used Best Buy as a resource for many of my employers IT needs in the past. However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.

    Sincerely,

    Any thoughts before I email/snail-mail this?
    Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing(and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

    I would ask Best Buy to refer you to the policy in writing. I would also use numbers and try to tone the letter in a way that encourages Best Buy to want to keep your business, while respecting your legal right to OC. Just my 2 cents.

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    Smurfologist wrote:
    Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing (and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

    I would ask Best Buy to refer you to the policy in writing. I would also use numbers and try to tone the letter in a way that encourages Best Buy to want to keep your business, while respecting your legal right to OC. Just my 2 cents.

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X
    Years ago I had an issue with Best Buy because I refused to let them search my personal bag on exit.

    I was not OC'ing, but I was carrying in the bag. I was not to about to give them my personal bag. I usually refuse search anyway, but I was not about to let them search my bag with my XD in it.

    They were not happy when I returned the lens.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Smurfologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    536

    Post imported post

    possumboy wrote:
    Smurfologist wrote:
    Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing (and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

    I would ask Best Buy to refer you to the policy in writing. I would also use numbers and try to tone the letter in a way that encourages Best Buy to want to keep your business, while respecting your legal right to OC. Just my 2 cents.

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X
    Years ago I had an issue with Best Buy because I refused to let them search my personal bag on exit.

    I was not OC'ing, but I was carrying in the bag. I was not to about to give them my personal bag. I usually refuse search anyway, but I was not about to let them search my bag with my XD in it.

    They were not happy when I returned the lens.
    They deserved it. I would have done the same thing!

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member 1FASTC4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tomahawk
    Posts
    510

    Post imported post

    Sorry for your troubles.

    FWIW, I've OC'd in my local Best Buy(in Arizona)many times without incident. My point is, I doubt it is a company wide policy to prohibit firearms.

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    I to wonder if its really a company wide policy. Multiple member of the forum have OC'd at Best Buy in Brookfield, WI

  13. #13
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    hugh jarmis wrote:
    I to wonder if its really a company wide policy. Multiple member of the forum have OC'd at Best Buy in Brookfield, WI

    Just because nothing has been said, does not mean it is notagainst policy.

    I OC'ed at a restaurant for a fewYEARS before one of the managers told me to leave.

    With the help of the VCDL, and me showing the owner the money I spent there, carry is now allowed and welcome.

    Take nothing for granted.




  14. #14
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497

    Post imported post

    hugh jarmis wrote:
    I to wonder if its really a company wide policy. Multiple member of the forum have OC'd at Best Buy in Brookfield, WI
    Please don't ask, and if you do, please don't tell me

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    Right now, I'm on vacation. When I back on Monday or Tuesday, I get a version 2. I will only be sending the letter to the local store to start with and try to "work" with them to get them to change the policy.

  16. #16
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    I will only be sending the letter to the local store to start with and try to "work" with them to get them to change the policy.
    Strongly suggest you send it to higher ups also. Much much more effective. I would send 4 separate copies of the letter, one to the local store manager and then each of the following. If you just send it to the local store manager, he drops it in the garbage. Trust me, if you send it to all 4, fires will get lit.

    Brian J. Dunn - President & Chief Operating Officer

    Susan Busch - Director of Public Relations

    Shari Ballard - Vice President Retail Channel Management

    Best Buy Co., Inc.
    7601 Penn Avenue S.
    Richfield, MN 55423


    Trust me,this works. I had a problem with a Sony camera I bought and their normal customer service process, placed a few letters in the mail to a few key people and had the executive assistant of the CEO of SONY CORP OF AMERICA CALL ME and send me a free camera. Executives get far separated from the point of contact with customers. But they see the BIG picture so much better than local managers and retail clerks. And they LOVE the self-reinforcing effect of being able to take a personal stake in feeling like they made a difference. Its not a guarantee of getting what you want, after all guns are such a polarizing issue. But it is your best chance of getting the best result.



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    103

    Post imported post

    Ask them why they allow armed guards in to pickup the cash at the store. Ive seen them at the wausau store.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,422

    Post imported post

    *

  19. #19
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    I guess my question is, in WI, who can ask me to not open carry? Can a clerk or does it have to be a manager? In MO, I believe they have to have a sign on the door.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    637

    Post imported post

    paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    I guess my question is, in WI, who can ask me to not open carry? Can a clerk or does it have to be a manager? In MO, I believe they have to have a sign on the door.
    That's a good question. I've worked in retail before and general policy for any kind of "disturbance" is that it should be handled by a manager. The regular employee usually doesn't want to stick his neck out if he could be wrong anyway.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    I would agree, it should be a manager. Most people in retail can't do much without taking it to their manager.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318

    Post imported post

    Just an FYI, we are not citizens of a state, we are residents.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    http://www.google.com/search?q=firea...ww.bestbuy.com

    http://www.google.com/search?q=firea...bestbuyinc.com

    suggests that it is a double-secret policy that cannot be revealed to the public.

  24. #24
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    That is why a polite letter needs to be written to Corporate so they can make a policy or at the very least make their managers aware of an existing policy, either pro or con OC.

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    Here is version 2
    I have always considered Best Buy to be a valuable resource for many of my IT needs, both personally and professionally. Personally, I have purchased several thousand dollars worth of items from various Best Buy stores across the state of Wisconsin, everything from laptop computers and wireless routers to network cables and ends. As IT manager for a local fortune 100 company, I have purchased multiple laptop computers, all-in-one copiers, and untold amounts of memory, network equipment, and other computer (hard drive, cd/dvd drive) related items.

    On June 4, 2009, I was in The Best Buy store #1052 in Plover Wisconsin. I was in the store for only a few minutes when a Best Buy employee approached me, informed me that, “Best Buy has a policy restricting firearms in the store,” and requested that, “I leave the firearm in my vehicle in the future.” As there have been numerous break-ins into vehicles in Wisconsin as of late, leaving my firearm in an unattended vehicle poses a greater risk to public safety than carrying it, holstered, on my person. I would prefer to continue to patronize Best Buy but as a matter of practice and principle will be unable to do so in light of this stated policy. I would also point out that there is not a single documented case of a holstered firearm discharging much less harming another individual.

    Wisconsin, like forty-four (44) other states (Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, to name a few) allows private individuals the right to carry holstered firearms for the purposes of security and defense and I would like to verify the Best Buy policy before passing along this information to our eighteen thousand (18,000) member on-line gun-rights community. If this is not Best Buy's official policy please let me know at your earliest convenience as I and the thousands of members of our gun rights organization would like to patronize establishments who support the rights of law-abiding citizens.

    Sincerely,


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •