• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Reply Letter To Best Buy

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

On June 4, 2009, I was in The Best Buy store #1052 in Plover Wisconsin. I was in the store for only a few minutes when a Best Buy employee approached me, informed me that Best Buy has a policy restricting firearms in the store, and requested that I leave the firearm in my vehicle in the future. Given recent events, where criminals are stealing firearms from parked police vehicles, leaving my firearm in an unattended vehicle poses a greater risk to public safety than carrying it, holstered, on my person.
Wisconsin citizens, like those in over forty (40) other states, have had the right to openly carry holstered firearms for many years, and there is not a single documented case of a holstered firearm discharging much less harming another individual.

As an IT manager for a local fortune 100 company, I have used Best Buy as a resource for many of my employers IT needs in the past. However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.

Sincerely,
Any thoughts before I email/snail-mail this?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pointman wrote:
Instead of using the negative of not continuing business with them, perhaps state you'd like to work with them in forming an understanding so you can continue doing business with them.

---
bnh: Thanks for your effort!

Thanks for that point of view, I'll wait to get some input from others, and then work up a version 2.0.

As I have stated many times, ALL points of view are important, it is how I learn.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Instead of using the negative of not continuing business with them, perhaps state you'd like to work with them in forming an understanding so you can continue doing business with them.

Yes, I agree. Offer them an opportunity.
However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.
Instead, a little flattery something like "Best Buy has always been a valuable resource for many of my needs, personally and professionally as an IT manager. I hope to continue to patronize your establishment but as a matter of practice and principle will be unable to do so in light of this stated policy. Can you confirm that Best Buy has a no-firearms policy?" I would like to verify before I pass along this information to our on-line gun-rights community which has thousands of members. If this is not Best Buy's official policy please let me know asap as I and thousands of members of our gun rights organization would like to patronize establishements who support the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Stoney-Point

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:

Yes, I agree. Offer them an opportunity.
However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.
Instead, a little flattery something like "Best Buy has always been a valuable resource for many of my needs, personally and professionally as an IT manager. I hope to continue to patronize your establishment but as a matter of practice and principle will be unable to do so in light of this stated policy. Can you confirm that Best Buy has a no-firearms policy?" I would like to verify before I pass along this information to our on-line gun-rights community which has thousands of members. If this is not Best Buy's official policy please let me know asap as I and thousands of members of our gun rights organization would like to patronize establishements who support the rights of law-abiding citizens.
OOooohhhh....That's good!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Numbers help.

Any idea how much you have spent there?
I agree. Money talks. These are for profit businesses. And everyone needs every bit they can in this economy.

Also, anyone know how many members there are nationally on Opencarry.org?

I always throw that in there when I make my case so that retailers know, (and I act like I'm being courteous by passing along the info) that we have THOUSANDS of members.

I'll have to ask Mike how many members are here.

But it really makes them think if you say "as a courtesy I will inform our 5,000 members nationwide your companies anti-gun policy"

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
On June 4, 2009, I was in The Best Buy store #1052 in Plover Wisconsin. I was in the store for only a few minutes when a Best Buy employee approached me, informed me that Best Buy has a policy restricting firearms in the store, and requested that I leave the firearm in my vehicle in the future. Given recent events, where criminals are stealing firearms from parked police vehicles, leaving my firearm in an unattended vehicle poses a greater risk to public safety than carrying it, holstered, on my person.
Wisconsin citizens, like those in over forty (40) other states, have had the right to openly carry holstered firearms for many years, and there is not a single documented case of a holstered firearm discharging much less harming another individual.

As an IT manager for a local fortune 100 company, I have used Best Buy as a resource for many of my employers IT needs in the past. However, given Best Buy has not only taken an anti rights stance, but also one that has the potential to place me and the general public at much greater risk,I will no longer be able to use Best Buy as a resource for my personal or professional IT needs.

Sincerely,
Any thoughts before I email/snail-mail this?

Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing(and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

I would ask Best Buy to refer you to the policy in writing. I would also use numbers and try to tone the letter in a way that encourages Best Buy to want to keep your business, while respecting your legal right to OC. Just my 2 cents.

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

possumboy

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing (and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

I would ask Best Buy to refer you to the policy in writing. I would also use numbers and try to tone the letter in a way that encourages Best Buy to want to keep your business, while respecting your legal right to OC. Just my 2 cents.

Years ago I had an issue with Best Buy because I refused to let them search my personal bag on exit.

I was not OC'ing, but I was carrying in the bag. I was not to about to give them my personal bag. I usually refuse search anyway, but I was not about to let them search my bag with my XD in it.

They were not happy when I returned the lens.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
Is it a Best Buy policy or just that store you were in? I am not versedon Wisconsin gun laws but, in VA, I have been in Best Buy many of times OCing, and, no one has asked me to leave because of a Best Buy store policy. However, in VA, if I am asked to leave (by someone representing Best Buy) because I am OCing (and I have not, yet), by law, I must leave, or, I will bearrested for trespassing.

Years ago I had an issue with Best Buy because I refused to let them search my personal bag on exit.

I was not OC'ing, but I was carrying in the bag. I was not to about to give them my personal bag. I usually refuse search anyway, but I was not about to let them search my bag with my XD in it.

They were not happy when I returned the lens.

They deserved it. I would have done the same thing!

1FASTC4

imported post

Sorry for your troubles.

FWIW, I've OC'd in my local Best Buy(in Arizona)many times without incident. My point is, I doubt it is a company wide policy to prohibit firearms.

possumboy

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I to wonder if its really a company wide policy. Multiple member of the forum have OC'd at Best Buy in Brookfield, WI

Just because nothing has been said, does not mean it is notagainst policy.

I OC'ed at a restaurant for a fewYEARS before one of the managers told me to leave.

With the help of the VCDL, and me showing the owner the money I spent there, carry is now allowed and welcome.

Take nothing for granted.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right now, I'm on vacation. When I back on Monday or Tuesday, I get a version 2. I will only be sending the letter to the local store to start with and try to "work" with them to get them to change the policy.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I will only be sending the letter to the local store to start with and try to "work" with them to get them to change the policy.
Strongly suggest you send it to higher ups also. Much much more effective. I would send 4 separate copies of the letter, one to the local store manager and then each of the following. If you just send it to the local store manager, he drops it in the garbage. Trust me, if you send it to all 4, fires will get lit.

Brian J. Dunn - President & Chief Operating Officer

Susan Busch - Director of Public Relations

Shari Ballard - Vice President Retail Channel Management

Best Buy Co., Inc.
7601 Penn Avenue S.
Richfield, MN 55423

Trust me,this works. I had a problem with a Sony camera I bought and their normal customer service process, placed a few letters in the mail to a few key people and had the executive assistant of the CEO of SONY CORP OF AMERICA CALL ME and send me a free camera. Executives get far separated from the point of contact with customers. But they see the BIG picture so much better than local managers and retail clerks. And they LOVE the self-reinforcing effect of being able to take a personal stake in feeling like they made a difference. Its not a guarantee of getting what you want, after all guns are such a polarizing issue. But it is your best chance of getting the best result.

Elysium

imported post

Ask them why they allow armed guards in to pickup the cash at the store. Ive seen them at the wausau store.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

I guess my question is, in WI, who can ask me to not open carry? Can a clerk or does it have to be a manager? In MO, I believe they have to have a sign on the door.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
I guess my question is, in WI, who can ask me to not open carry? Can a clerk or does it have to be a manager? In MO, I believe they have to have a sign on the door.
That's a good question. I've worked in retail before and general policy for any kind of "disturbance" is that it should be handled by a manager. The regular employee usually doesn't want to stick his neck out if he could be wrong anyway.