Thread: Vermont /federal laws

Post imported post

I am a Canadian citizen with a brother in VT who owns several handguns.Is it legal for me to carry concealed one of his handguns while I am visiting him ?

Post imported post

Unfortunately it is illegal for your to carry concealed in Vermont. You are required to be either and american citizen or a resident of the State of Vermont with legal status to own firearms in the USA. That means you would have to have either a Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Card(Green Card), Unrestricted Work Permit/Visa, or a Student Visa/Unrestricted. That would be the only way to legally do it. Now you can do what ever you want, But if you get caught the Vermont courts are pretty strict about crimes involving firearms, Plus it would be a deportation issue as well as a possible ban to travel to the USA. in my opinion, not worth it.

Post imported post

It's actually a bit more restrictive than that. You have to be either a citizen or a permanent resident to legally acquire or possess a firearm in the States (per federal law - I don't know if Vermont has specific laws about this as well). Non-resident aliens must fall under specific exceptions like having a valid hunting license - a student visa, for example, is not itself sufficient. Call ATF for clarification.

-ljp